SS/fixed commuter, training, beater bike suggestion?

AndrewP

Explorer
I vote going old school and building one from an old frameset. Cruise the local bike shops and see what they have on consignment. An 80s steel bike would be ideal-look for an early Trek 700 series or any well known enthusiast frame from that era. They are likely to be cheap. Just find one with Horizontal drop-outs.

Then add parts-what you have, buy what you need. I build wheels too and that is awesome to commute on a bike you truly built.

My first fixie I built up 10 years ago-Old Paramount road frame, old Campy Neuvo Record hubs and crank, mismash of spare parts. I've been commuting on that bike forever. I've replaced the chain and cog every couple of years, and burn through about 2-3 rear tires per year, maybe 1 front. I keep the gearing pretty low-44x16 or so. Otherwise, it just runs and runs.

My son and I just built another for him. Found an old Bridgestone Frameset for $40. Had a Suntour Superbe (remember those?) crank, old Shimano hubs, Cinelli bars. The whole bike cost maybe $200 when you add in the wheel components.

Anyway, fixies are great, and require almost no care. They are perfect commuters. I run brakes on mine for safety but that's up to you. I strongly recommend you build one as finding all the parts is half the fun. If you start with a nice old road frame and add good components over time you could end up with a really great bike.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Yeah, no rack mounts. You would have to do the clamp on thing. $699 doesn't sound too bad if you are willing to upgrade slowly. Also check out the UNO. Any dealer can get you one through J&B Imports. Thats what my wifes bike in the picture is. My dealer buddy sells them for $400 complete. Not as nice as a Surly but... The only thing I changed on hers were the wheels, saddle, and bar tape.

If you're talking about the Origin8 UNO, I have looked into that. However, the local LBS quoted me $550 for it. There is the other "UNO" from BikesDirect, and they sell those for $400, but don't want to gamble on the fitting. I am going to stick to the 3 bikes mentioned above. I am trying to stay neutral until the test rides, but I really do like the Steamroller you posted.

I vote going old school and building one from an old frameset. Cruise the local bike shops and see what they have on consignment. An 80s steel bike would be ideal-look for an early Trek 700 series or any well known enthusiast frame from that era. They are likely to be cheap. Just find one with Horizontal drop-outs.

Then add parts-what you have, buy what you need. I build wheels too and that is awesome to commute on a bike you truly built.

My first fixie I built up 10 years ago-Old Paramount road frame, old Campy Neuvo Record hubs and crank, mismash of spare parts. I've been commuting on that bike forever. I've replaced the chain and cog every couple of years, and burn through about 2-3 rear tires per year, maybe 1 front. I keep the gearing pretty low-44x16 or so. Otherwise, it just runs and runs.

My son and I just built another for him. Found an old Bridgestone Frameset for $40. Had a Suntour Superbe (remember those?) crank, old Shimano hubs, Cinelli bars. The whole bike cost maybe $200 when you add in the wheel components.

Anyway, fixies are great, and require almost no care. They are perfect commuters. I run brakes on mine for safety but that's up to you. I strongly recommend you build one as finding all the parts is half the fun. If you start with a nice old road frame and add good components over time you could end up with a really great bike.

Great suggestion. I think I definitely would like to build one up some time this year, but for this bike, I think I will be going with a pre-built, just so I can get it out on the road. I will say I do already have plans to build one up. Right now, I'm trying to source a frame from Corex (Korean brand). Seems pretty tough to get one, though.

Also, some of those "vintage" frames are going for top premium prices!! Some guy wanted $200 just for a 70's-80's frame itself. I don't think I've seen a frame go for under $90 on craigslist in a long time.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
Great suggestion. I think I definitely would like to build one up some time this year, but for this bike, I think I will be going with a pre-built, just so I can get it out on the road. I will say I do already have plans to build one up. Right now, I'm trying to source a frame from Corex (Korean brand). Seems pretty tough to get one, though.

Also, some of those "vintage" frames are going for top premium prices!! Some guy wanted $200 just for a 70's-80's frame itself. I don't think I've seen a frame go for under $90 on craigslist in a long time.

The nice part about 80s steel frames is that they often come with other parts you need, like cranks, bars even hubs. As long as it pre-"freehub", ie came with a freewheel, you can either re-dish the wheel or move the spacers around and rebuild the wheel in a more symmetric arrangement. But you are correct-It's easy to spend in the $200 range for a decent old steel frame.

I got lucky on my Paramount. It's a 50th edition with a gold plated fork, built in the Waterford shop in 1988. It did not have the gold plated Campy grouppo it originally shipped with. It's really a great bike, and I should do more than commute on it.

The Bridgestone we just did is an RB2 (RB1s fetch a premium even now), but for $40, it's hard to go wrong.

You need to look around for the deals, but they are out there. I can understand being up and running in a short time frame.

AndrewP

Explorer
AndrewP - What do you think about this bike? The guy doesn't know what year or model.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=5919958&cat=409&lpid=9

It does have the horizontal drop outs in the back, so it will work for a single speed. What else would I need? I'd like to get a flip flop hub in the back, but for right now, just some spacers in the back?

That's a lower end old Schwinn. At most, I'd offer $100. That frame is probably not worth a build though, sorry. It would make a fine commuter, but not a nice fixie. A lost depends on your needs.

All the Paramonts are good
Some of the original World Sports (?) are good and came with Dura Ace stuff before anyone heard of Dura Ace.

I would mostly stay away from Schwinn unless it's a Paramont.

The 80s Japanese bikes were great, and unrecoginzed quality. Upper end Centurian, Bridgestone, C.Itoh and others are often very nice bikes. The level that came with Shimano 600 or Dura Ace is what you want.

Early Treks were hand brazed in the USA and excellent, Circa 1978-85. The 700 level was their best frame set.

Itialian frames from that era were decent, but often sell at a premium to workmanship. (Kind of like Itialian cars)

Keep looking, something will come up. What does your neighbor have in his garage?:sombrero: Mine has an old Masi he has not ridden in the 20 years I've lived there.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the info! I passed on that frame. Do you know anything about Cilo bikes? This one came up.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/1094912742.html

I apologize about throwing these at you, but you seem like the vintage bike expert. :D

EDIT: Well, just decided to go ahead and buy it. I thought that I'd have more fun building one up, AND in the mean time, I could just ride it with the wife.

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Sorry about the blurry pic (the last one). Any of you know what the best way to take care of the two big patches of rust/paint?

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
Frame looks good. I have an inexpensive wheel set with a flip flop hub and freewheel cog I will sell you if you want to throw it together for now and ride it. I may even have a fixed cog also if you know what size you want. I believe they have either 700x25's or 28 tires on them, less than 1 hundred miles on wheels and tires. They came off the wife's UNO. PM me if your interested and I will send you details and pics tomorrow.

1speed

Explorer
You should be able to use the stock cranks with short chainring bolts and a single non-ramped/pinned chainring and an 1/8th inch chain.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks, 1speed. I think I want something like 16 or 18T in the back. I'll PM you.

BTW, I still would like to buy/build up a Steamroller.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
That looks like a perfect builder. Decent quality frame, comes with a bunch of useful parts, and Tange #2 is a decent tubeset. Perfect.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks. What should I do with the place where the shifters are? I know if I take them out, there will be holes there? Is there a good way to cover them up?

1speed

Explorer
Some button head allen srews maybe? If you get real hardcore I believe those shifter bosses and cable guides are brazed on, I've read about people heating them with a torch and pulling them off. Of course you ruin the paint an might mess with the temper of the steel. I personally wouldn't do it.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Cool. Thanks, 1speed. I will just get some allen screws.

BTW, just a quick question about your Steamroller. Do you ever get toe overlap or scape the ground with your peddles while turning? I was just reading some reviews and that's what some people were saying (I guess due to the lower BB?).

1speed

Explorer
No problems on either count. The Steamroller has "track legal bottom bracket height" which I assume is higher, and I run 170mm track cranks instead of standard 175's. My buddy running a converted 1980's Falcon frame and the crank arms from the original BioPace cranks has not had any trouble. I don't know what the arm length is though. We both run Candy pedals which are fairly narrow.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know. And feel free to post more pictures of your Steamroller. :D

Also, on your bike, why did you go with a mtb brake levers? Instead of the road levers? Was it for function or aesthetics or both? I noticed a lot of fixed gear people have done that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior