SS/fixed commuter, training, beater bike suggestion?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks. The used Ult crank was sold, but I guess they're ~$79 new. But maybe I'll go with the Sugino's for a cleaner look and fit.

EDIT: UGH!! Frame won't be in till NEXT Friday! Wanted to start the build this week..... oh, well..........

Last edited:

1speed

Explorer
Hey, 1speed. I ordered a Sugino BB and a Park Tools BBT-22. When installing the BB, do I need to use a torque wrench? Is it very critical?

Also with the headset, I don't have any specific tools for it, but found this article.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-a-headset-in-a-bike/

Should I DIY or have the LBS do it?

I shouldn't admit this, but I have built dozens of bikes and never used a torque wrench on a bottom bracket. It takes less torque than you think so don't go crazy with it. Use grease or a few wraps of Teflon tape and don't forget the right side is a left hand thread. I used a homemade headset press with great success for a long time before I splurged on a real one. It should be a total do it yourself project. If you don't have a spanner for the cog and lock ring they are pretty cheap. Cog-right hand thread, lock ring-left hand thread. Use grease on the threads.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, picked up my frame. Here is the progress so far.

56cm Steamroller Frame
IMG_0421.jpg

First, put the crown race on using a ghetto rigged 1 1/4" PVC pipe method. Lesson #1 in bike building was learned here. I sat the fork down on some carpet and with it perpendicular to the ground, I hammered the crown race on. Little did I know that this would bend the wheel mounting point. I had to bend that back to fit the axle in...

Then, made a headset press:

IMG_0423.jpg

Did well, but I do need some bigger washers next time.

IMG_0422.jpg

Little mock up

IMG_0424.jpg

Then it was time to cut the tube.

IMG_0425.jpg

Didn't have a tube cutting guide, but the tape method worked well.

Here is where it's at currently. I am waiting for the brake lever, brakes, BB and the crank to get here (Monday). Wish I could take it for a spin on my day off. Oh, well...

IMG_0427.jpg

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I just got my BB and cranks today. Sugino RD2/Sugino BB set up. Looks like the chain line was off when I had the chainring on the outside. Putting it on the inside, it has a better line, I think. But it does move the chainring closer to the chain stay. It maybe has ~3mm of clearance. Is this something to be concerned about? If so, what can I do?

Thanks.

All of the following shots are with the chainring on the inside...

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

1speed

Explorer
Looks great! That Brooks saddle will take a little while to break in. Until it does, OUCH! How are you adapting to riding fixed? Freewheeling feels odd to me now.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
It was weird at first and I did the ol' "trying to coast then almost get launched off the bike" routine a couple of times. :D I did a couple of short 5-milers, then did a 13 miler yesterday and had no problems. The only part that was sketchy was going down a very steep hill that I'd hit 40MPH on my road bike. I was spinning too fast and almost got bucked off. It was a little scary, so until I learn to spin smoother, I'll keep that brake lever close at hand. But so far, it's been great. Thanks again for all your help.

Oh, and that Brooks had been on my 29er SS for a few months, so it's almost broken in, thank goodness! I just need to take off the decals and I'll be done with it for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94