Montero Build

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Nope, not Sunrise. Quite a bit west and a little bit north. I actually don't know the name of that mountain.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OK, so I finally got around to going through all the paperwork the PO gave me, and have all the records including the original bill of sale. Why is this important? Lots of reasons, but I found the original equipment order, and it came from the factory with the XLS Preferred Package and that means that not only do I get the way cool huge sunroof, but that means it also gets LSD in the rear. :)

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
OK, so I finally got around to going through all the paperwork the PO gave me, and have all the records including the original bill of sale. Why is this important? Lots of reasons, but I found the original equipment order, and it came from the factory with the XLS Preferred Package and that means that not only do I get the way cool huge sunroof, but that means it also gets LSD in the rear. :)

That is a good find. You'll be glad you have this. You'll be surprised what you can climb with a little help from feathering the brakes or hand brake to get the LSD to grab even more.

And yes, that sunroof almost makes it all worth it, doesn't it?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Because of the sunroof and other reasons, I am going to stay away from a roof rack. Plus, I do plan on putting an RTT up there. I'll have to practice with the hand brake and play with the LSD a bit. I'll get it down though. Thanks for the tip, Tony. Much appreciated.

Box Rocket

I've been wanting to see someone build one of these. I'm interested to see how you handle it. I like your planned list of mods but I would consider a roofrack. If it were me I'd look at maybe a custom full length rack that was open over the sunroof so i still had full function with it. Basically the only reason for the front of the rack is to mount lights to and maybe give you somewhere to mount limb risers.

Also, rather than use herculiner on the plastic trim, why not just pull it all off? You'll be yankin the bumpers anyway so there's no reason to leave the trim on the wheel wells and doors. You might also look at Raptor liner. It's still DIY bedliner but much nicer finish than herculiner.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Adam, thanks for the tip on Raptor Liner. I'll have to look into it. There are a couple of reasons to not pull off the plastic. I don't want to fill the holes, there are side marker lights on the front flares, and the bull bars from ARB line up to the flares so it wouldn't look as clean if it were to be removed. I will however take a saw to the built in mud flaps. I see those as getting damaged easily. I am still against a rack at the moment, unless it is something built to carry an RTT. I'll be putting lights on the bull bar and that should be good. Though, limb risers would look pretty sweet on a Monty.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
First Impressions

Well, we have been together for a week now, and so far I really like this truck with a couple of exceptions.

First, the bad:
I have aptly named this truck "The Silver Slug" as it is by no means a hot rod. My Trooper had more get up and go, and that was no hot rod either. This truck weighs about 2 1/2 tons and has only 200hp. While if prompted, it could get out of its own way, it does struggle to do so.

The guage cluster or steering wheel needs to be moved just a bit in any direction. The steering wheel blocks part of the speedometer, and I find that to be annoying.

The gas mileage could be better too, for a V6; but an underpowered motor on a heavy vehicle can't be expected to return acceptable numbers. First tank gave me just over 16mpg mostly freeway driving. I took the 70lbs rear seat out and that might help, but probably not much.

The cup holders in this thing are just stupid. What a horrible design. They were designed to fit coffe cups from your house. To go soft drink cups (unless super sized), soda cans, water bottles, and usually carried with drink containers are too small and slide and slip.

A feature that I like but is also stupid is the slide out arm rest. I love it to be able to get comfortable, but when it is slid forward, it covers what ever drinks you may have in the stupid cup holders making it so you have to slide the arm rest back to get to your chosen drink.

Now, the good:
It rides like a dream. The unibody and four wheel independent suspension give it a very car like ride.

It is quiet on the freeway. You don't realize how fast you are going.

The seats are comfortable and very adjustable. It would be hard for anyone to not find a comfortable seating position in this thing.

You sit up high. Like Land Rover high. You have a great view of the road and good visibility all around. I have to say the visibility is better than it was in my Trooper. I know, hard to believe.

Feels very solid. Even though it is unibody, it is a very rigid structure. There are no squeeks or rattles despite it being eight years old with over 80K miles.

Good wind buffering. You can drive down the freeway at 70mph with all the windows open along with the sunroof, and while you feel the breeze,you aren't getting blown away.

The sunroof is AWESOME! With it open and the windows down you feel almost like you are in a convertible.

The seating flexibility is pretty cool too. Take the head rests off the front seats, lay the seat backs all the way down, lay the second row seats all the way down, and you have a semi comfy place to sleep in the truck.

Lots of storage. Two glove boxes, map pockets, and with the third row seats removed a nice covered storage bin excellent for a tool kit and recovery gear.

I have not yet taken it off road so I can't comment on that. But I'm going to run up to Table Mesa this afternoon for a simple shakedown. I'll give my impressions when I get back. Also, the mods have started. I'll post up what I have done so far along with a couple pics in the next day or two.

Last edited:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I went through the same thing the first several weeks of driving the 4Runner coming from the FJ full-time...this was different, that was different, and who the hell designed the cupholders?? I realized all that changed yesterday though as I sat in our driveway in the FJ deciding if I was going to drive it or the 4Runner....I decided on the FJ for various reasons but I actually felt a little guilty as the garage closed on the 4R!

I hope you come to love the Monty as much soon too! (The sunroof helps!)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes they're unibody but IIRC it has a subframe for the front and rear suspension so technically you should be able to perform a body lift should you want beefier tires. Alternatively, ARB makes longer coils which allow for 33's to fit.

Nice truck. I have the UBER sunroof in my Gen II also. Is yours mostly in the back seat like the Gen I/II's or does it afford front passengers a view of the sky also?

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I went through the same thing the first several weeks of driving the 4Runner coming from the FJ full-time...this was different, that was different, and who the hell designed the cupholders?? I realized all that changed yesterday though as I sat in our driveway in the FJ deciding if I was going to drive it or the 4Runner....I decided on the FJ for various reasons but I actually felt a little guilty as the garage closed on the 4R!

You can change the cup holder thing (96-98 cup holders stink, agreed)

Looking forward to your off-road report. I haven't been around any Montero's off-road.:smiley_drive:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I hope you come to love the Monty as much soon too! (The sunroof helps!)

No question about it, Heidi. I love the Monty. Those are my only gripes. I loved my Trooper too but I had some gripes with it too.

off-roader said:
Nice truck. I have the UBER sunroof in my Gen II also. Is yours mostly in the back seat like the Gen I/II's or does it afford front passengers a view of the sky also?

In the 3rd Gen Monty they moved the sunroof forward so the front seat gets to enjoy them more than in previous gens. But, one could stand up in the back seat and easily get their head out the sunroof.

off-roader said:
ARB makes longer coils which allow for 33's to fit

I am going to be adding the OME Heavy suspension which will give me about 1.5" of lift. It came from the factory with 30.5" Tires. It will fit 32's with no problem.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Off Road Impressions

I have not driven off of pavement in about a year (since I sold the Trooper). It was nice to get back out there again. Just a short trip out to Table Mesa and the ghost town of Gilette. I wish I had more time to make it longer, it felt good to be on dirt again. It handled great, and the independent suspension really smoothed out the washboards. Gearing could be a bit lower in "low" range, but I really can't complain. Anyway, here are a few pics of its inagural off road run.

006-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

And yes, did a small water crossing of the Agua Fria River:

012-1.jpg

013-3.jpg

And it had no squeeks or rattles on the rough road :victory:.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice! There's a check list used for post water fording. May want to go through it. Would be in your FSM.

Also, are you gonna change your name now? :) Maybe Hadatrupr or damonty? or better yet dafullmonty?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Ok, I also got a couple of small but very important mods done. First, since I am gettig older and it is a long vehicle, I added blind spot mirrors to each side. It makes lane changes much easier. Sorry, no pics of that one. Second, I needed to listen to MY tunes, and since I destroyed all my CD's I needed a solution. So, the Altima kindly donated to his baby (though bigger in size)brother his Sony stereo with aux jack so I can plug in my iPod:

001.jpg

And the last one, not really important, but fun. My Lev-O-Guage:

002-1.jpg

This was fun on my little run this evening as I got off camber to 25* and it felt less tippy than the Trooper did at this angle.

The center pod:
004-2.jpg

The whole thing:
003.jpg

Next up: Optima battery and quick fists for the fire extinguisher and mag light. Coming soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles