Montero Build

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Datrupr's Monty build

OK, since the beans were spilled in Fireside Chat, here is the new Monty and its official build thread. It's a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS with just over 80K.

The build wish list and the order in which it is planned to be done:

Remove rear tire cover = DONE
Optima Yellow top - DONE
CB = Need coms - DONE
OME heavy suspension = 1.5" lift (Have to get that 109.5" wheelbase up a bit more). - DONE

Paint the wheels flat black = They are just to shiney from the fatory. = Scrapped this idea.
New tires (265/75/r16) = DONE. 5 new Pathfinder A/T's.

2M = Need better coms.

Skid plates = It doesn't have any right now.
Sliders = Long rockers begging to be bent. (These two I'll have to find someone local to fab up for me)

Bull bar = Need front recovery points = DONE
Winch = Need to be able to self recover
Lights = Never know when you'll be on the trail in the dark. = DONE

Herculine plastic trim panels = I think it'll look cool. = This idea has been scrapped too.
Snorkel Farkle = For safety.

Dual battery set up
Fridge/Freeze - DONE
OBA

Drawer System/Kitchen - In progress

Rear bumper = Gotta match the front.

RTT

Am I missing anything?

Here it is. Sorry for the driveway pics:

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

021.jpg

And my favorite feature:

022.jpg

That sunroof is HUGE :D

Last edited:

agerb

Observer
rear bumper

this will have to be a custom job also I am afraid. I have torn a rear off once already. Departure angle relative to approach is no good.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
What a fine choice

Nice job.

I can't wait to see the progress.

Let me know how I can help.

BTW, the best resource I've found to date is the Pajero club of Victoria. Those Aussies really use their Monteros down there, and they've got a lot of great info.

The suspensions they mostly use in Australia is a combination of Bilsteins and springs by Lovells. There's a good member of that club that can source them. With today's exchange rates, I think the price would be pretty good, even with shipping all the way up here. If I didn't already have the OME HD setup, I would have gone with this. I'm actually still considering it. Let me know if you're interested in any info on this.

Okay, I'll shut up for now and wait for the pictures.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Jeeze you even beat me to my own build thread! I better stop slackin....can't wait to see the pics!

Let me know when you do the snorkel, maybe we can both get Wil to drill the holes in our fenders! :Wow1: :sombrero:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
True. I know I wouldn't want to personally drill a huge hole through my sheet metal. Maybe I will let him do it. After all, a snorkle is for safety.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sweet!

I want to head over towards the FJ area soon while the ocatillo (how do you spell that?) in the near future.... you in?

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I might be down for that. It could be a good shakedown run. I still have to get it plates, insurance and change the fluids. I also want to drive it around town for a week to get a feel for it.

Congrats! Looks exactly like my 2002 Montero except I don't have your cool sunroof...

I have 265/75/16 Cooper ST tires on mine without a lift for now. I need to convince the better half to allow me to "accessorize" it!

I'll be watching all of the cool things you have planned for this rig.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
My friens has some 285"s if I remember correctly in his Montero, but I couls be wrong he bought the old style Geolander AT+II he was inpressed with their performance as I later was!

Anyway Confratulations on your purchase and I will be keeping an eye on your built!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Congrats Aaron.

'Bout time you got back in the game. No worries on the goodies, I just want to see you workin' it on the Greasy Spoon soon. :smiley_drive:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I have not run Greasy Spoon in a long time. It could be fun for a shake down run. And maybe while I'm up there hit Broken Arrow too. Thanks for the ideas KC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94