black wheels for Tacoma

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
So, back when I was doing a lot of modifications to my vehicle, I thought about getting black rims to go with the new tires. But since I viewed it as more of a cosmetic mod and not a truly functional mod, I decided against it. But temptation got the best of me, so here they are:

DSCN3162.JPG

DSCN3163.JPG

I liked the look of the stock Tacoma wheels, and the fact that they're lightweight. I've never seen anyone paint them black, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went with a flat-finish paint instead of semi-gloss. I removed each wheel from the truck before painting so that I wouldn't get any paint on the brakes or lug nuts. It still looks good after a few weeks, but I'm sure it will come off easily after the first encounter with a rock. Still a few hundred bucks cheaper than a brand new set of wheels!!
:elkgrin:

edgear

Those shots were from inside my garage the night I painted them. I was too lazy to pull my truck out & get a nice side shot :eek:

I'll work on getting one and posting it up. It does look pretty sweet, in my opinion. Surprisingly with the black wheels, I now get better gas mileage & have more horsepower!! ;)

Dave

Explorer
tacozona said:
Surprisingly with the black wheels, I now get better gas mileage & have more horsepower!! ;)

I believe it.

Did you do any special prep work or spray on any primer first?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
tacozona said:
I'll work on getting one and posting it up. It does look pretty sweet, in my opinion. Surprisingly with the black wheels, I now get better gas mileage & have more horsepower!! ;)

Doesn't pick up chicks as well as a snorkel though :shakin:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Justin,

If you were curious what the semi- gloss looks like here it is.

I think the stock wheels painted black looks great!

Way to go!

:ylsmoke:

Attachments

• DSC02591.JPG
    DSC02591.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 105

edgear

Dave said:
Looks good to me! Got any side shots of the whole truck with them painted?

I had a productive lunch break, so I managed to get a shot:

DSCN3171.JPG

Dave said:
Did you do any special prep work or spray on any primer first?

I didn't use a primer. I just cleaned the wheels prior to applying the paint.

erin said:
nice cheap mod

Hey now! That rattle can set me back $5!!
:eek:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I noticed mine flaked really bad where I didnt scuff the rim properly.

Just keep a can on you and you'll be fine.

Trainwreck

Hey here is a shot of my Taco after I painted the wheels black----$4 can of matte black did the trick!

Attachments

• Chaco-Truck.jpg
    Chaco-Truck.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 95

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
For those that have painted there wheels how are they holding up. Comments? How did you prep the wheel - sandpaper size? I want to paint these black.

47b7d827b3127cce84a75c8c653600000026108EatWzFu0cO

articulate

Expedition Leader
Gear said:
For those that have painted there wheels how are they holding up. Comments? How did you prep the wheel - sandpaper size? I want to paint these black.
Small world, I just painted my Jeep wheels. To prep, I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to scuff the surface, then washed each wheel with soap and water, and let them dry. Went faster than I expected, too.

Also, I used "wheel paint," which is a polyurethane base so it's quite durable once it's fully cured (7 days). Automotive stores carry it.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Disregard -- I searched another forum and found way too much information.

Hello Mark,
Do you have any pictures. Did the wire wheel leave gouges in the finish or did you just lightly spin across the paint. Where you able to get into the groves/spokes similar to my wheels. The automotive paint sounds interesting. Is it in a spray can. Last question did you use semi-gloss or flat paint.

Thanks

Justin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier