255/85r16s with 16x8 wheels?

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm currently running two sets of 285/75r16 tires on 16x8 wheels. I'm also looking at a Campa trailer purchase, but I've been told this tire is too wide for their trailer. I'd much prefer matched tires and wheels, but there's really nothing else like the Campa out there. So... I'm considering 255/85r16s for the trailer, and eventually converting the Jeep's tires too as the 285s wear out. Thing is... Toyo suggests a 6.5-8" wheel for their 255s (7" being the recommended width). We run some pretty tough trails in the summer, and I'm worried that 255s aired-down on 8" wheels will pop beads...

Is anyone running moderate->difficult trails with 255s on 8" wide wheels? If so, what's your experience been like? How far do you air down?

Thanks,
js.

maximumrob

Adventurer
A lot of us Jeepers run 255's on the stock 16's. I've had 255 BFG MT's on my Rubi for several months and have wheeled them twice at 15psi on 3 & 4 trails.

Honestly, for the tough stuff, I could easily go down to 10psi because there wasn't much bulge. I've kept my truck light.

Some guys claim no rubbing, while others get some lower control arm and swaybar rubs. I get LCA and swaybar rub only on the right front tire.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I've got a set of 255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrains mounted on a 16x8" wide Alcoa wheels. I would have preferred to mount them on a 7" wide rim, but have never had a problem with these popping off the beads, even when aired down to about 10lbs.

jsmoriss

Explorer
I would have preferred to mount them on a 7" wide rim...

Well don't leave us hanging! :) Why?

I can imagine a few reasons, but I'd like to hear yours. :)

Another reason that 16x7" is difficult for me is that my Jeep has a 5x5 lug pattern. Finding 5x5 wheels is hard enough, but oddball sizes like 16x7 makes it even harder (haven't found any yet).

Thanks,
js.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
You also have the option of having a custom set of wheels made to your specification. I had Stockton Wheel in California make the steel wheels for my FJ40 - 16x7 with the Toyota bolt pattern and bore, and a 3.25" BS. Nothing like that size available off the shelf. And the price was pretty reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman