'Gotta get out' Moab Weekend

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
After finally getting my Jeep trail ready again (new head gasket, oil pan, rear main seal, oil filter o-rings, front wheel bearing, driver’s seat, windshield and a fresh coat of paint on the front bumper) and realizing I had not gone out exploring in my Jeep for two months, it was time for me to get out again. What better place to go than Moab?

IMG_4717.JPG

I decided to stick to the Island Area northwest of Moab for this trip. Bright and early Saturday morning Amanda and I hit the road and made out way to the Horsethief campground just off of Highway 313. After setting up camp we made our way over to the Dellenbaugh Tunnel. The last time I was at this tunnel was in 2007, however I was short on time that trip and didn't get to explore too much.

IMG_1910.JPG

After finding two geocaches near the tunnel we turned around and headed back and stopped to check out and photograph this water-carved wash nearby.

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1924.JPG

Our next destination was Secret Spire. We made our way back past Tombstone Rock and took a small detour to check out Juniper Arch on the way.

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Once at Secret Spire I got out the tripod and starting to take some photos while Amanda located a nearby cache.

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

Holding it up ;)
IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4746.JPG

After leaving Secret Spire it was just about lunch time, so we drove on over to Spring Canyon Point where we had some lunch and found yet another cache above the Green River.

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

Next we were off to see Tusher Tunnel. I had been here back in 2003, but Amanda has never been. We cut across via the Bartlett Wash Road.

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
From the tunnel, Amanda wanted to head over to the Monitor and Merrimac buttes. After studying the maps I had with me, I found the Mill Canyon road should take us right to them. However, when we tried this route, we came across a freshly installed gate across the road that prohibited all motorized vehicles. I guess this route was closed with the new travel management plan....I need to print out those new maps one of these days....

Instead we ended up heading into Arches via Willow Springs Road before heading into town to grab some dinner. After our meal we headed back to camp and turned in early for the night.

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

Sunday morning we broke down camp in the very gusty winds and headed for Canyonlands. My goal for the day was to make it down to the Colorado River via Lathrop Canyon. We made our way down the Shafer switchbacks and started on down the White Rim trail.

Stopped at the Colorado River overlook

IMG_2044_2_3.jpg

Then Musselman Arch

IMG_2052_0_1.jpg

Walking Rocks

IMG_2070_68_69.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
A short distance after leaving Musselman Arch, I noticed my Jeep was a little crooked in the back and got out to investigate. What I found was the the main leaf on the passenger side had broken in two.

Nice view where I stopped to check on my Jeep
IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

Sagging on the passenger side
IMG_4803.JPG

Not having a spare spring, I decided our best bet was to turn around and slowly make our way home. Lathrop Canyon would have to wait for another trip. We backtracked the small section of the White Rim trail we had already traveled and then headed back to Moab by Potash Road. We grabbed some lunch in town and slowly made our way home, sticking to the backroads whenever possible.

Leaving Canyonlands
IMG_4810.JPG

Along the Potash Road
IMG_4815.JPG

Check out the full gallery here: http://myxj.net/g2/v/2009_adventures/moab_in_march/

Moody

Needs to get out more
Fantastic.

I certainly understand the 'gotta get out' mindset...happens to me regularly.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, great pics especially the CO River overlook/Musselman Arch/Walking Rocks pictures!

That sky is just spooky - I'm guessing that was the storm that passed through last week?

It must be great having Moab in your backyard! If I lived in GJ I'd be there all the time!

targa88

Explorer
Fantastic.

I certainly understand the 'gotta get out' mindset...happens to me regularly.

Some folks have all the luck - Moab in your backyard!
Great pics - considering that we are buried in snow through most of the winter - I am glad to see that Moab is clear.
Hope to be there in early May.

bmh

Adventurer
Great pictures as always! I need to get to Moab and do the typical tourist / wheeler thing, but I would love to take trips like you take all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles