Boa lacing system

Superu

Explorer
Just picked up a pair of Vasque Zephyr Tech backpacking boots and was so happy with the boa lacing system I ordered up a pair of The North Face Fire Road Boa trail running shoes

OVNTCH.jpg

7769-514146-p.jpg

One of the backcountry.com reviewers of the Vasque boots mentioned that he had one only arm and the boa system was very helpful to him. Upon reading that, I thought of this forum and thought I'd make mention of this system.
BOA system works great so far. Love the feel of the whole boot tighting. With one arm getting laces tied can be a pain! Feel good out of the box. Fit true to size I got a half size big and they fit exactly the way I expected. No complaints so far but haven't taken them out on trails.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I had a pair of North Face BOA trail running shoes and I liked them, ended up replacing them with a pair of salomon xcr trail running shoes with there string lacing system similar to the boa without the twist.

They're pretty much at a draw to me, but I like the salomon look more.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great bit of info...
I really like that you guys are keeping the disabled in mind on things like this...
And that Expo gets to be a resource for info is really cool also.
thanks!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I think there is a Salomon shoes just like this as well. Look to me that the lace portion was made out of a fish type wire, and I wondered the longevity of lace. Does any one have a longer term use of one of these "laceless" shoes (any brand)?

Layonnn

Adventurer
I had a pair of North Face BOA trail running shoes and I liked them, ended up replacing them with a pair of salomon xcr trail running shoes with there string lacing system similar to the boa without the twist.

They're pretty much at a draw to me, but I like the salomon look more.

x2, im about to pick up my second pair of salomons. I like their lacing system and have never been too fond of the boa lacing system.

Layonnn

Adventurer
I think there is a Salomon shoes just like this as well. Look to me that the lace portion was made out of a fish type wire, and I wondered the longevity of lace. Does any one have a longer term use of one of these "laceless" shoes (any brand)?

while not shoes, the boa type lacing system was used on some various wakeboard bindings and was having problems everyone i knew that had them.

I would guess the abuse/forces on wakeboard bindings laces are much more than shoes. But, when the company (wakeboard) sends spare cable laces and rotating mechanisms with the bindings, you kind of figure it isn't going to last that long.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I converted my New Balance ghetto runners into laceless with Yankz! and am pretty happy with them. Most of the time when I need footwear now I slip these on instead of finding my slippers/sandals/cowboy boots (my other laceless options)

corbin8or

Adventurer
I was just looking at the Solomon at REI the other day! I have less concern as I don't need to have them tight for support but what if the "line" breaks? Well REI will replace but.... I saw a pair of golf shoes at a course pro shop once with the rear mounted cobra system too, cool idea I think I might try them. I haven't gotten new shoes for almost 5 years... mine just don't wear out!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I had the northface shoes for about a year, and consiquently gave them to my friend about 10 months ago, and he hasn't told me any problems.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Boa thing has been around for quite some time. Pearlizumi was using it on many of their cycling shoes going back 5 or 6 years. It's like any shoe lace...it can fail. If it does, it's a pain in the hiney to remedy, but I think most failures are the result of neglect and abuse. These racheting wired systems have actually been around for over a decade. Sidi cycing shoes have had this going back to the 90s. The Boa system is now used on backpacks, tents, etc.

Hikedown

Wired Shoe Laces

I received a sample of these last week.

They fit in all my shoes but I need a longer pair for my fishing boots
Wiredlaces.com

Superu

Explorer
Resurrecting an old thread with an update

It's been several years and though the insoles have needed replacing on my North Face fire roads, the lacing system has held up just fine. Same goes for the Vasque hiking boots. They are as solid as they were when I got them. No issues with the Boa lacing systems or the lacing material (nylon on TNF and stainless on the Vasque.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles