Suzuki DR200: my first motorcycle

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I took the motorcycle class 9 months ago and obtained the M endorsement, but sadly have not been on a bike since then. I've done quite a bit of research since then on dual sport motorcycling. Aside from the tiny class bikes, I had only been on a Suzuki DR650. I seriously considered going for something in the 650cc range. But after talking to more people and knowing my comfort level, I decided that much smaller, lighter and less powerful bike would be ideal for me to learn on. Yesterday afternoon I finally pulled the trigger on a used 2007 DR200 with only 412 miles on the ODO. It rides great, and I'm looking forward to using it around town and to hit some trails. At an estimated 100mpg with a 3.4 gallon tank, I should have a longer range than my Tacoma.

:roost:

IMG_0691.jpg

red_5

Adventurer
Excellent choice. I've had a couple or three DRZs of various displacements/vintages over the years and they've all been pretty good bikes.

I ride every day and have got a couple of scoots laying around, including a CBR1000RR. My daily driver is a DRZ400SM and my go-to ride for around town is a Honda NPS50 (Ruckus 50 scooter). Both are more fun than the CBR anywhere except the track and the SM could be tie depending on the track.

Small bikes are a great way to learn and a pile of fun! Getting some time on the dirt will benefit you immensely. Factor in the skills you'll develop from learning to riding a smaller bike to it's full potential and you're on the way to long, happy relationship with bikes.

Besides, many a big bike rider has been taken to school by someone on a far 'lesser' machine and you just can't put a price on that... :roost:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I'm sure you'll have fun! Mine routinely gets 95 MPG on local roads and I can keep up with the freeway traffic if it sticks to 65 MPH.

Cheers,
Graham

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Besides, many a big bike rider has been taken to school by someone on a far 'lesser' machine and you just can't put a price on that... :roost:

Sad but true. Many people don't take the time to learn to ride the "big bikes" in the dirt. Definately a different technique (one that requires much more focus on balance and low speed handling....).

That will be a good bike Jeremy. I'm actually keeping my eyes open for a similar machine to keep the 800GS and the CM400T company.

:bike_rider:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Too cool J! I feel the same way about starting on a smaller bike. I'll likely start with a 200/250 also and work my way up to something between a 450 and 650.

:roost: Congratulations sir:bike_rider:

Willman

Right on!!!

That looks to be a great bike!

I wish i had one to ride around here and in the dirt!

Now time to get it dirty!!!!!

:sombrero:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome Bike Jeremy!
Nice find.
Can't wait to see pics of you on the trail.

Will you be riding it to the Overland Expo?

:bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider::bike_rider:

edgear

I'm actually keeping my eyes open for a similar machine to keep the 800GS and the CM400T company.
Hale's Motorsports here in Prescott has another used one for sale -- 2006 (blue) with only about 700 miles on it.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Wow. 3.4 gal 100mpg... if i get one for my wife that will extend the range of my wr250r which has a small tank. ill siphon off a gal and well both have nice range..

edgear

first mod

The stock rear turn signals on this bike are bound to break at some time. They are made of hard plastic, and stick out about 7". I was able to trade a guy for some turn signals from a Suzuki DR400 who was in need of one from a DR200. These are constructed of both hard plastic & soft plastic (2 pieces), will flex to some extent, and only stick out 5". It was a fairly easy mod (and free).
IMG_0750.JPG
IMG_0753.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94