BKCowGod's 1980 Cherokee Chief Build Thread

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My '79 Suburban had one of those. We gutted it's interlock switches on the side of the Embarcadero in Ensenada so that the bloody thing would work at all.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It's fascinating. The motor is perfect. I just replaced the lower channel (the metal piece on which the window mounts) and it's the little clips that hold the channel to the mechanism that keep popping off and letting the window fall. The design of this thing relies on every gasket and felt piece being perfect, because they are all stressed parts of the system!

ccarley

Adventurer
Nice Cherokee!

The back window is a pain on my '87 Grand Wag too, I hard wired it to the dash switch since the switch in the tailgate "fell apart" and was trying to make the window go up all the time. I think the brushes in my motor might be going out, it tends to stop at the same place all the time now sadly. A little shove & it continues moving though.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So... I finally get the rear window fixed and then I roll down the driver's window and the same DAMN problem... Aaaaargh!

Btw - it's kinda hard to remove a door panel when the door is closed.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hey folks, I'm not actually dead! It's been a crazy few months with a job change and some other stuff. I've still been plugging away at the Jeep, though. Got all the windows to roll in both directions reliably (total cost: $5), got the new ignition switch in so I don't have to hotwire it every morning ($20). But the big news is in the wonderful world of seating! With a little bit of steel and a few drilled holes ($5 for bolts and nuts), I am now the proud owner of a Jeep/Porsche hybrid. The seats are from an old 924, had them sitting in my office for about a year now. Soooo comfortable! So that's it for this gobble day... Next on the list is to make my windshield wipers once again contribute to society!

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Wow... it reminds me of my first vehicle, a '79 Cherokee Chief. I often curse the day I got rid of it! I'm staying tuned and will live my FSJ fantasies through your build!
cherokeechief.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Wow... it reminds me of my first vehicle, a '79 Cherokee Chief. I often curse the day I got rid of it! I'm staying tuned and will live my FSJ fantasies through your build!

Thanks - I love this truck more and more as I make it my own...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

So how is this Beast doing? I love it!

We need some updated pics of fun times!:costumed-smiley-007

Average Dave

Jack of all trades
Bringing this build back from the dead

New shovel mount I built. I know they are gorilla welds but it works.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Last edited:

Average Dave

Jack of all trades
Ill post pics of stuff as I do them and or as I remember to take pics. Here is one of some tow hooks I added might not be the best set up but the are pretty solid and pulled the jeep across my driveway in park and with the break on. Be gentle if you hate them.

20b22103.jpg

Last edited:

Average Dave

Jack of all trades
guess my problem is I never take before pictures. but here is the after of polishing the gauge lenses and glueing them back in place.

cce29f3d.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94