Ham antenna install choices for FJC...

mtbcoach

Observer
I finally made my ham radio purchase, getting the Yaesu 8800 with the FT-60 for a handheld. To go with the 8800, I bought two Larsen antennas, one for the "open road/trail" and one for a "low ceiling", with the idea that I could carry them both with me at all times and simply swap them as necessary.

I have the Larsen NMO 2/70 B for the clear roads and the NMO 2/70 SH (shorty) which is half the size and with a spring incorporated into the base.

NMO 2/70 B
4278.jpg

NMO 2/70 SH
4127.jpg

Now for the pics of possible locations. I'd prefer to get some feedback before I start drilling 3/4" holes in my FJC. These mounting positions will only be used for the 2/70 frequencies, if I get into other ranges, I'd opt for another antenna/location, so please consider that with the feedback. Also note that the antenna is simply attached with masking tape and things will be straight and true with the permanent mounting.

I understand the best place is in the center of the roof but I'm not taking the ARB roof rack off just to accommodate the antenna placement. My question should probably be a poll but I'd also like feedback, so here they are. Please let me know 1, 2, 3 or start over you knucklehead.

1 - This is where I initially planned for the antenna. Right above the mirror mount, in the roof, easy to pull over headliner, down the pillar and into the rig for attachment to the radio. Problem, with the ARB rack right behind, it will not easily bend/flex when hit with a branch/bush/etc when I have the "short" antenna mounted. I think that this is a fair place when it comes to radio performance but I'll let the experts chime in on that.
hamantenna-09.jpg

hamantenna-10.jpg

2 - Thought of this positions when playing around with the antennas. Is almost invisible when looking through the windshield and won't interfere with the opening of the hood. My concern is RF interference running under the hood into the interior and effecting radio performance.
hamantenna-03.jpg

hamantenna-02.jpg

hamantenna-06.jpg

3 - Easy and simple, well protected but concerned with performance. Would slightly impact packing of the roof rack but not so severely that I couldn't manage.
hamantenna-13.jpg

hamantenna-14.jpg

hamantenna-18.jpg

Fire away and thanks for the feedback...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I will try to dig up a pic of my setup..
I an using a "trunk lip" mount and it is on the top of my back door. Nice & high and works great.

I an using a "trunk lip" mount and it is on the top of my back door. Nice & high and works great.

I'm using the same type of mount on the top of my rear door. Works great.

I've got a few attached to that door.

I like antennas at the rear of the vehicle because I can get to them to take them off in a low clearance situation and they are very easy to install there.

mtbcoach

Observer

Thanks Lance, I know you have a nice set up, at least from the pics I've seen on "the Journal"...

I'm using the same type of mount on the top of my rear door. Works great.

I've got a few attached to that door.

I like antennas at the rear of the vehicle because I can get to them to take them off in a low clearance situation and they are very easy to install there.

So many are doing this, I may have to re-think going that route. Thanks for the ideas and feedback...

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I also have my 2M antenna on a lip mount on the rear door of my FJC. I have my CB antenna on a Bandi mount, so I put the 2M antenna on the far side of the door, just a few inches down from the top of the door. The one issue to be careful about is some of the standard cable lengths that come with the popular lip mounts are borderline in terms of reaching the radio. I routed the cable across the top of the rear door to the hinge side, down in through the cable bundle that goes into the rear storage compartment, and then from there snaked the cable to the radio which under the driver's seat. Putting the lip mount in the center of the door obviously would help.

Like you are planning to do, I carry two 2M antennas. I have a Comet CSB-7500 (42") that I use when I am in open areas, and a Comet SBB-1 (flexible 16.5") that I use when I'm in low clearance areas. I found from experience that repeated abuse of a tall antenna in heavy trees will remove the lip mount from your vehicle. :eek:

mtbcoach

Observer
I also have my 2M antenna on a lip mount on the rear door of my FJC. I have my CB antenna on a Bandi mount, so I put the 2M antenna on the far side of the door, just a few inches down from the top of the door. The one issue to be careful about is some of the standard cable lengths that come with the popular lip mounts are borderline in terms of reaching the radio. I routed the cable across the top of the rear door to the hinge side, down in through the cable bundle that goes into the rear storage compartment, and then from there snaked the cable to the radio which under the driver's seat. Putting the lip mount in the center of the door obviously would help.

Like you are planning to do, I carry two 2M antennas. I have a Comet CSB-7500 (42") that I use when I am in open areas, and a Comet SBB-1 (flexible 16.5") that I use when I'm in low clearance areas. I found from experience that repeated abuse of a tall antenna in heavy trees will remove the lip mount from your vehicle. :eek:

Thanks for the re-enforcement of the lip mount on the door.

I'm leaning toward option 3 since it will be nice and high for performance, relatively easy to access for changing from long to short and protected some by the front of the ARB rack wind fairing.

The bandi mount is popular with all the FJC folks.

http://www.fjfan.com/products/allpro-bandi.htm

Thanks, got the Bandi mount w/CB antenna attached. Great product and will keep the CB antenna there...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks, got the Bandi mount w/CB antenna attached. Great product and will keep the CB antenna there...

I'm not sure how the ground plane location impacts the mounting of a Ham or other radio comm antenna but based on what I've been told, the only problem I see with the bumper or rear hinge CB antenna mount is it limits the CB's effectiveness.

I've also been told that the best spot for a CB antenna is in the center of the Roof so that your ground plane extends as evenly as possible in all directions. If not, your broadcasts become more directional.

IIRC, the way it works is if it's mounted more towards the back of your roof (or on your rear door hinge) then broadcasts to the front will be reduced and if mounted on the front of your roof, broadcasts to the rear will be reduced. On the right side, broadcasts to the left are impacted and if on the left side, broadcasts to the right are impacted.

For basic trail com's with other parties in your group, the affect will likely be minimal unless you are far apart. Alternatively if you're trying to use it on the highway where having greater distances would be helpful then the impact may be greater than wanted.

To mount my CB antenna as close to the middle and reasonably possible, I elected to mount it using a 2 piece antenna clamp that I attached a bar on my roof rack. It's located as far forward as I can reach from the back of my rig (standing on my rear mounted spare). This way I can easily and quickly remove it for a low clearance situation and have the best possible ground plane setup.

HTH.

Last edited:

ohiobenz

2m antenna placement

Thanks for the re-enforcement of the lip mount on the door.

I'm leaning toward option 3 since it will be nice and high for performance, relatively easy to access for changing from long to short and protected some by the front of the ARB rack wind fairing.

Resurrecting an old thread here. Hopefully you still have the vehicle and are on here........

Wondered how that placement worked out for you? My FJ is pretty much your twin lol. DO bumper, ARB rack, snorkel...
I'm adding the 2M and that was the location that i was looking at as well.

Second question. My radio location is up by the mirror so I'm going to have a LOT of coax left over - how did you handle your extra coax?

thanks

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Old thread revival!

I don't know how the O.P. fared but something that should be pointed out is that the Larsen NMO2/70B is a 1/2 wavelength antenna on both bands (collinear on 440m) while the NMO2/70SH shortie with the spring is a 1/4 wavelength 2m & 3/4 wavelength on 440.

I have both antennas and the short one with the spring definitely needs to be mounted over a suitable ground plane, e.g. center of the roof. The 2/70B will tune up in poor locations being *somewhat* ground plane independent. It works best also dead center of a roof, though.

Point I would make is that you should find a spot where the short one will tune acceptably and then it's possible the taller one will work there, too, having slightly wider bandwidth. But going the other way might yield a location and coax trim that ends up with a high SWR.

ohiobenz

Center of the roof is a no-go due to an RTT. His #3 location is most likely what I'm going to have to do in order to get any height....
My CB is on a Bandi style mount at the rear door. The 2m will be my first exploit into ham radio so its all new to me yet. Any help and Install for Dummies info is appreciated.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
If the roof center is off the table, and an alternative is wanted other than the 'standard' FJC location for a Bandi-style mount (I have a Boztec HAM Mount with a 62in antenna) then a lip mount at the top of the rear door seems to be a good spot and high enough to help clear the roof groundplane - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/121646-Into-The-Wild-FJ-Build?p=1612038#post1612038
FD3F4FAB-E45B-4A95-8AAF-792378D2332E_zpsriehkarb.jpg

Another alternative for the front of the vehicle (and a shorter cable run) might be to adapt the driver's side cowl panel - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...77-cb-antenna-mount-location.html#post2264855
61902d1346816253-cb-antenna-mount-location-cimg0521b.jpg

61899d1346816212-cb-antenna-mount-location-cimg0525b.jpg

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz