Close to buying a Mog- what do I need to know?

MonsterBronco

Of course, Bob. I luv showing off Camper Mog:

CamperMog007.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

For the interested, there's about 70 more pictures, including interior shots and system information at:

www.picasaweb.google.com/mhiscox01/CamperMogAssortment.

Twenty-three feet long, seven feet wide and about eleven feet high. Big, but the interesting thing is that these dimensions are very small for an American motorhome. All depends on the frame of reference, I guess.

And I ABSOLUTELY second what 762X39 wrote: "Definitely drive one before you buy one and don't think that you can "improve" it. (Emphasis added)]

This is an important concept. A distressing percentage of the people who have looked into buying Camper Mog have had questions about turbochargers, engine swaps, larger diameter tires, etc. In point of fact, virtually all Mogs, from little ones to biggies like mine, are top speed limited due to engine redline. Depending on your combination of axle ratios and tire diameters, you will have a fixed top speed based on limits to engine RPM. For the most common older diesel Mogs, this is somewhere in the low to mid-50s.

You have to understand that these came from a country where the maximum speed limit for these trucks was 80 KPH. I have a red warning light that comes on my dashboard when I break 50 MPH. Once off pavement, Mogs are plenty fast. On back roads, Mogs are plenty fast, On a multilane road like an interstate where the traffic can get around you, Mogs are plenty fast.

The only problem comes in on a heavily traveled two-lane where the cars behind you can't pass and you stack up traffic and end up pulling over to let it by. On any other kind of road, the issue is just one of the driver getting used to a slower pace, which some do well and some never "get it."

OMG I have built and owned many different types of vehicles from old Harley 45s to Hotrods and hot rod 4x4s...

I have never lusted as much over a vehicle as I am lusting over this Camper Mog. I have found my Inspiration so to speak. This is going to be my Muse I hope you dond mind if I copy this rig... Cause I am gonna :)

I just have to find a great base vehicle... I made the mistake of building my 72 Bronco up from a wretched pile of rust and spent too much money just getting it road worthy. I need a near perfect base vehicle so I can spend my money on the good stuff...

You sir are a lucky man...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
OMG I have built and owned many different types of vehicles from old Harley 45s to Hotrods and hot rod 4x4s...

I have never lusted as much over a vehicle as I am lusting over this Camper Mog. I have found my Inspiration so to speak. This is going to be my Muse I hope you dond mind if I copy this rig... Cause I am gonna :)

I just have to find a great base vehicle... I made the mistake of building my 72 Bronco up from a wretched pile of rust and spent too much money just getting it road worthy. I need a near perfect base vehicle so I can spend my money on the good stuff...

You sir are a lucky man...
Many thanks for the kind words. Camper Mog has many fine characteristics you should feel free to duplicate, and you should also feel free to copy or print any of the Picasaweb photos for reference.

I also suggest that anyone contemplating an expedition camper consider purchasing a copy of Travel Vans, a book by John Speed that provides a lot of useful information on camper design and systems. You can secure one with PayPal at http://www.travelvans.co.uk/.

Keeep us posted and be sure to let us know if you have any questions we can help with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94