Cigarette lighter removal?

T-hacha-P

Observer
Anyone know how to get the cigarette lighter socket out of an 07 Tacoma? While getting some other parts from the forum sponsor I decided to pick up a grey cover to match the one on the passenger side. Problem is, I can't figure out how to pull the lighter socket out...

From the diagram in the link, I want to take out assembly 12, put part 15 safely in the glovebox, stick part 17 in the hole, and then put the un-numbered part of assembly 12 back in. I realize it may be more complicated than this, but first I need to get the lighter assembly out without destroying all those soft plastic panels.
[picture worth 1,000 words]
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214074&chapter=&Sectionids=0,2610&groupid=51866&subgroupid=4817&componentid=0&make=34&model=Tacoma&year=2007&graphicID=8512470&callout=12&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I would pull the fuse or disconnect the negative to be overly geeky - and safe.

I think you can just wiggle / pry it out slowly. If you can get a hand behind the console there might be 'clips' that you would squeeze to ease removal. I will check mine tomorrow. This is a great idea - BTW

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've never specifically removed the lighter, but that entire plastic piece where it lives is held in by clips and 1 or 2 bolts. You would need to remove the front section of the center console, and I think you might also have to remove the climate control face plate and the plastic around the stereo. It might sound like a lot, but its really pretty easy and quick once you've figured it out. I'm just not sure if that cig lighter can be pulled out with out accessing it from the back side?

corax

Explorer
maybe you should just put this in it!!

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-spotlight-bulk.html

i have one in my 99, and i looove it! amazingly bright for its size. word to all those interested, it will not work in most newer model vehicles accessory sockets, only those equipped with an actual cigarette lighter.

they do make an accessory plug adapter after all

www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-spotlight-super-socket.html

nice :) . . . I think I know one of my next purchases

robert

Expedition Leader
Taco Tunes has (or at least had) pictures of how to disassemble the area around the stereo/climate control on their website- looks like they are having website issues at the moment though.
http://www.tacotunes.com/index.htm

That cover would look really cool, but I'm much too lazy to go to that much trouble to get rid of the lighter outlet. :costumed-smiley-007 Hey, at least I'm honest right?

Anyone notice the smiley looking through the telescope is labeled "astrologist"? LOL

T-hacha-P

Observer
I see what you mean about website problems. This is looking like a larger project than a cigarette lighter that keeps rattling out rates... will update soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior