Steering dampers

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I considered putting one on my XR650L, as performance in sand would be better...however, the cost compared to how often I'd really need it made me look at other uses for my $$...

-H-

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Just wondering what people who ride frequently think, as I'm a novice.

My boss just put one on his 250 and he says it is a great product. I've heard several other people mention them and say they would not go back, so I was wondering what others thought as well.

Needless to say, it seems like a real cool product.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I don't have one....never rode with one either. So basically, this post is useless, except for passing the time while the back patio dries so I can seal it (and then stain it).

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Wow, maybe I should rethink this topic since my thread is now the "watching the paint dry diversion":sombrero:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
calamaridog said:
Wow, maybe I should rethink this topic since my thread is now the "watching the paint dry diversion":sombrero:

:xxrotflma

Man, what a way to kill a thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Here's a better way to think about it. Rather than a "watching the paint dry diversion", it is a "avoid doing other work around the house diversion".

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
This thread is not dead:gunt:

I have every confidence SOMEONE will have one and say they are cool!

Or not.

Either way, the paint should be dry by now:D

slepe67

In my VAST experience (yeah right), people have told me that if you have a smaller bike like a 250 and below, you really dont need it, unless you are bounding doubles regularly. On larger bikes, like my XR600R, they actually do help, as the front end (and the rest of the bike) is very heavy. I am getting a KTM 950S, and they say even if you THINK about taking it on a rough road, to put on a dampner. Head shock is bad on big bikes. Plus, on DS bikes, after long rides they absorb a lot of vibration and impact and help keep your hands and wrists in better shape. I am getting one for my 600, just a matter of getting the time and $$$. just my $.02

I have a 2004 KTM 450 EXC http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ktm_450_exc_racing_2004.php

I ride about every week and race enduros in the Rocky Mountain Enduro Circut in the B class. I have been riding for 28 years. I use a scotts steering dampener and would not ride with out one.
The reason is off road you encounter a lot of rocks ruts and forces which will apply pressure to the front tire forcing it off of center to the left or right. This does two things 1) Makes the bike unstable 2) Takes more energy because you are always trying to keep the bike straight or where you want it to go.
The scotts dampener will resist this force and return the bars to center (it is the only one that does this). For the bigger bikes you can imagine 75 mphs on a washboard road you get head shake where the bars will uncontrollably "wiggle" to the left and right. With a dampener this does not happen AT ALL. Its not just for big bikes every bike can benifit from this some more than others.

I have seen wrecks where Im almost certain they would have not gone down if they had a dampener. Picture hitting the side of a small 6 inch boulder at 30 mphs. The dampener would have reacted and pulled the bars back to center in this high speed hit. The rider however was not fast enough to do this.

I have a friend with the exact bike. We were out in the desert I let him ride mine with a dampener. His bike did not have one. As soon as he got off my bike he reached in his enduro jacket grabbed his phone and ordered one. Its unbelievable when you ride with one and then hop on a bike with out they make a huge diffrence

Here is a dampener only for 235
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=187661&hl=steering

Here is some more reading
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=172228&hl=

Hope this helps

Clutch

<---Pass
Scotts for sure, have one on my KTM 300. I tend to forget it is there, until I take it off.http://www.scottsperformance.com/faq.php
48944a.JPG

The nice thing about the Scotts you can transfer to bike to bike with different mounting kits. Mine has been on three different bikes.

The price is well with it, (not crashing a major plus) totally eliminates high speed wobbles. Fully adjustable and rebuildable.

GPR makes a nice unit too, has a dial you can mount up by the grip so you can change dampening on the fly.
GPRbestsmall.jpg

The RTT are nice units too, but, bike specific. A new mounting kit to transfer my Scotts from my Honda to my KTM was around $100.

Last edited:

spat70

I too use one, however I use the W.E.R. damper that mounts on the front fender. I will never run without one now. Its soooo stable and a MUST have for sand. I pick some bad lines sometimes and absorbs tons of deflection.

Do yourself a favor and get one! After you ride with it for a bit, take it off and go for a quick spin.

W.E.R.'s website is www.werproducts.net

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
For offroad bikes, only consider those that have no damping for returning to center. The only ones that have this feature are Scotts (the offroad model) and WER. I've used both, and the Scotts performs slightly better. The WER is easily rebuildable by the end user, and is slightly cheaper.

However, on some bikes, Scotts will limit steering angle! And it might prevent the use of the handlebar position you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94