The world's first...

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I've tried some of the preground coffee with cardamom from Lebanon. I like the cardamom especially when the coffee is sweetened which is pretty typical when Arabic coffee is made. It does a really good job of covering up the old beans. :)

Since I've used my home grinder to make Arabic coffee, I don't want to add any cardamom to the grinder, as I've read that the cardamom taste will stay with the grinder long after that batch has left the grinder. I really don't want my daily coffee to taste like cardamom.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am still looking for a 12V coffee grinder! There are NONE. I would think that, if you can start a diesel with 12V, you could easily grind coffee beans...

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Mike S, I can hand grind enough coffee for a full sized french press in less time than it takes for the water to boil. The amount of work that goes into it isn't that bad, really.

Scott Brady

Founder
And I would expect it is more enjoyable to grind the beans by hand, than by an electronic unit. All part of the outdoor experience!

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I do enjoy hand grinding the beans. I know it sounds nutty, but you feel more involved in the process and it somehow improves the whole experience.

The other thing to consider with low end electric grinders is that the high speed of the grinders can generate heat which isn't good for trying to preserve the natural aromatic oils of the beans.

jeeperaz

Observer
Just because the beans are from Illy doesn't guarantee the quality of the coffee.

The most important thing that you can do to improve your coffee is to buy freshly roasted beans

I read on some coffee related website that it takes at a very minimum, 3 months from the time ILLY coffee is roasted/ground/packaged to the time it gets stocked on a shelf in the US.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Thanks. Although I'd much rather be writing a blog on overlanding in central America in the Land Rover visiting the occasional coffee plantation.

Coffee no problem

Get a pan, any pan, fill it with water, throw a handful of Folgers in it, let it boil, once it's black take it off the fire and put a cup of cold water in it to settle the grounds, you got coffee. Whole lot easier than trying to haul an espresso machine 40 miles south of no where. On top of that cowboy coffee is suprisingly good too.

Weasel

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
If Folgers floats your boat, more power to you. IMHO, it tastes horrid. My mother still makes Folgers, Maxwell House, and all of the other preground big can coffee. It is rotten stuff. If that was my only coffee option, I'd just bring tea bags. At least the taste won't make me gag.

Regarding hauling the espresso gear, what is so hard about "hauling" an espresso machine that is the size of a mini bicycle pump, and tiny grinder and some beans? The entire setup is smaller than a can of Folgers.

If you don't want to fuss around making espresso on the trail, fine by me, but don't give some weak excuse about "hauling" a tiny bit of gear. Did you even look at the links at the top of the thread to see the size of the machines?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
If Folgers floats your boat, more power to you. IMHO, it tastes horrid. My mother still makes Folgers, Maxwell House, and all of the other preground big can coffee. It is rotten stuff. If that was my only coffee option, I'd just bring tea bags. At least the taste won't make me gag.

Regarding hauling the espresso gear, what is so hard about "hauling" an espresso machine that is the size of a mini bicycle pump, and tiny grinder and some beans? The entire setup is smaller than a can of Folgers.

If you don't want to fuss around making espresso on the trail, fine by me, but don't give some weak excuse about "hauling" a tiny bit of gear. Did you even look at the links at the top of the thread to see the size of the machines?

Maybe I missed something, but this seems a bit vitreolic a reponse to Weasel's post. To each their own; no need to be sensitive about someone else's preference or posts.

As for me, I'm a coffe equipment whore. I keep a percolator, a Bialetti espresso maker, and a Melitta coffe cone and filters in the grub box, so I can make whatever the mood requires. But I've drank puhlenty cups of cowboy coffee, and love it.

Peace.

Frank

overlander

Expedition Leader
What about the Bialetti Moka Express stovetop espresso maker?
Been around for years...

http://www.bialettishop.com/

NewMokaExpressLarge.jpg

After exhaustive research, I purchased the 3 cub Bialetti Moka Express stovetop and the Primo milk frother from William Sonoma . After 3 weeks of usage, I have to say it makes perfect lattes and cappacino's reliably. My wife is a Starbucks addict and she is perfectly satisfied with the latte's I make now. With nothing more needed than 2 double AA batteries, a stove top, espresso grounds and milk, I can now make these anywhere, to include the camp ground. It only takes about 3 minutes to make 2 lattes.

img32l.jpg

Mamontof

Explorer
After exhaustive research, I purchased the 3 cub Bialetti Moka Express stovetop and the Primo milk frother from William Sonoma . After 3 weeks of usage, I have to say it makes perfect lattes and cappacino's reliably. My wife is a Starbucks addict and she is perfectly satisfied with the latte's I make now. With nothing more needed than 2 double AA batteries, a stove top, espresso grounds and milk, I can now make these anywhere, to include the camp ground. It only takes about 3 minutes to make 2 lattes.
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=552&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=CNHDUJ125CAD8LF9CVSRTGXNQWPX12U5

line.asp

Or other hi quality product from Bodum , the know for years in market and go serve military back pack in many armies of the world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online