The world's first...

David_in_TX

Adventurer
What about the Bialetti Moka Express stovetop espresso maker?
Been around for years...

http://www.bialettishop.com/

NewMokaExpressLarge.jpg

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
David, I thought of the Moka pots after I posted. It is a good portable coffee maker, but it really can't be called espresso. The Handpresso and Mypressi both use similar pressure as a standard espresso machine. With those portable machines, you could probably expect a really decent shot of espresso.

Handpresso is releasing a new version of their machine that uses ground coffee instead of the ESE pods. I emailed them yesterday since the site shows the new version, but its not available for sale in their "buy" tab. It will be available for sale in June.

I think I'll buy the new version of the Handpresso. In terms of simplicity, the Handpresso that uses ground coffee makes the most sense. The whole idea of using pods kills the deal for me. The whole reason that I make French Press coffee on the trail is that all I have to do is pack up my stuff that I have in the house. I don't have to go out and buy new beans or worry about keeping pods around. So in a sense, with the new Handpresso, all I'd have to do is pack up some beans and my grinder and I'm ready to go.

The big downside to the Mypressi is that it adds another level of complexity since it uses CO2 cartridges. I remember when I was a kid looking at pellet guns. I chose a single pump pellet gun instead of one that used CO2 cartridges.

Darton

Adventurer
This is kinda of topic of espresso makers, but does anyone make a small portable hand powered bean grinder

David_in_TX

Adventurer
Well, I have no experience with these, but I always thought they used steam pressure just like a real espresso maker at home.

See the following Wikipedia article describing them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot
Am I misunderstanding something? Does anyone have one of these so they can clear this up?

David, I thought of the Moka pots after I posted. It is a good portable coffee maker, but it really can't be called espresso. The Handpresso and Mypressi both use similar pressure as a standard espresso machine. With those portable machines, you could probably expect a really decent shot of espresso.

Handpresso is releasing a new version of their machine that uses ground coffee instead of the ESE pods. I emailed them yesterday since the site shows the new version, but its not available for sale in their "buy" tab. It will be available for sale in June.

I think I'll buy the new version of the Handpresso. In terms of simplicity, the Handpresso that uses ground coffee makes the most sense. The whole idea of using pods kills the deal for me. The whole reason that I make French Press coffee on the trail is that all I have to do is pack up my stuff that I have in the house. I don't have to go out and buy new beans or worry about keeping pods around. So in a sense, with the new Handpresso, all I'd have to do is pack up some beans and my grinder and I'm ready to go.

The big downside to the Mypressi is that it adds another level of complexity since it uses CO2 cartridges. I remember when I was a kid looking at pellet guns. I chose a single pump pellet gun instead of one that used CO2 cartridges.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Yes, it uses steam pressure, but it doesn't reach the pressure needed to make real espresso. The Moka pot is like those really inexpensive "espresso" machines that cost around $100. It's not the same thing.

I'm not saying that the Moka is a bad device at all, though. It makes some decent stuff. I have a Mukka Express which makes a quasi-cappuccino.

That being said, freshly roasted and ground beans are more important to making good coffee than the process itself. I'd much rather have a shot of Moka coffee using good beans than a shot of espresso from Starbucks.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
This is kinda of topic of espresso makers, but does anyone make a small portable hand powered bean grinder
I got this nice brass coffee grinder at Cost Plus World Market. I use it to grind pepper, it cranks out a lot of product in a short time. I guess you could say the design has held up over the years.

Attachments

• greek_grinder_3.jpg
    greek_grinder_3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 68

G-force

Adventurer

I have to mention this.

Have any of you lot seen "City Slickers" with Billy Crystal?? And do you remember the portable coffe grinder?? STAMPEED!!!!!

Big smile, BIIIG smile:wings::wings::wings:

For on the trail use, I bring a Zassenhaus manual grinder. It weighs a few pounds and is fairly small. It grinds very consistently compared to the inexpensive electric burr grinders.
I am down with the Zassenhaus as well. The Zassenhaus Turkish grinder is adjustable from coarse to Turkish ultra fine grind... very high quality, relatively compact and pricey.
00002485.jpg

I have been trying the Aerobie Aero press... the end result is very smooth and tasty, no acidity... but not an espresso shot by any means. I am going to start a thread reviewing it at some point... has anyone else tried it?
aero_press_03.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I used the GSI unit for a few trips. The copper pipe is fragile though, and is currently broken. It works well enough that I am going to get it fixed and keep using it, though better protected in storage.

401040Lrg.jpg

For coffee, I just use the Illy pre-ground. In comes in a sturdy metal can that packs well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior