The G wagens cousin.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
LOL Commentary is funny.

The modes of vibration on that vehicle tells me the body is very tinny/flimsy and the suspension needs some weight on the chassis to work really well. A-arms look smallish.

I'd still drive the wheels off it though. :D

michaelgroves

Explorer
Yes, although the Trax Ghurka looks much the same, it's not very highly regarded - certainly not in the same league as the G.

Gurkha

Adventurer
The IFS is from Hanomag and is rated for 1.8t capacity and as for G Wagen similarity, thats because its made by MB partner in India and exported to Germany. In 1987 German 4x4 mag tested it against G Wagen and TLC where it outperformed both and got the title of hardest off roader to be tested. It certainly is as after 140,000 miles of severe off road, I have hardly spent any money on it. The IFS and tubular chassis gives it quite an unprecedented advantage in itself combined with OM616 turbo. Its TUV rated to pull 3750 kg of payload. I own a GD300 as well and have owned TLC FJ in past and therefore have a fair perspective of what a true off roader's merits are supposed to be. Check it in action http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24747

Attachments

• my_judo_mechanical_aspects001.JPG
    my_judo_mechanical_aspects001.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

michaelgroves

Explorer
The IFS is from Hanomag and is rated for 1.8t capacity and as for G Wagen similarity, thats because its made by MB partner in India and exported to Germany. In 1987 German 4x4 mag tested it against G Wagen and TLC where it outperformed both and got the title of hardest off roader to be tested. It certainly is as after 140,000 miles of severe off road, I have hardly spent any money on it. The IFS and tubular chassis gives it quite an unprecedented advantage in itself combined with OM616 turbo. Its TUV rated to pull 3750 kg of payload. I own a GD300 as well and have owned TLC FJ in past and therefore have a fair perspective of what a true off roader's merits are supposed to be. Check it in action http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24747

I don't have any personal experience of them, but the general view seems to be that they are surprisingly good, given that they are made in India. India does not (yet) have a good reputation for manufacturing cars, although of course that does not mean they don't make any good ones. It took the Japanese many years before they got it right, and many more before the world acknowledged it! I expect the same path will be followed by the rising stars in India, Korea, Indonesia etc.

I am sure that Ghurkas have many strengths, and it's nice to see that they already have ardent enthusiasts, but I would find it hard to believe that they are up to the (incredibly high) standards of a Geländewagen!

As a matter of interest, which do you rate more highly of your own vehicles?

Gurkha

Adventurer
I don't have any personal experience of them, but the general view seems to be that they are surprisingly good, given that they are made in India. India does not (yet) have a good reputation for manufacturing cars, although of course that does not mean they don't make any good ones. It took the Japanese many years before they got it right, and many more before the world acknowledged it! I expect the same path will be followed by the rising stars in India, Korea, Indonesia etc.

I am sure that Ghurkas have many strengths, and it's nice to see that they already have ardent enthusiasts, but I would find it hard to believe that they are up to the (incredibly high) standards of a Geländewagen!

As a matter of interest, which do you rate more highly of your own vehicles?

Mechanically they share everything with the GD240 including body panels. The Indian partner has been making parts for MB Germany including engines, trannies, radiator since late 60s. They also make Tempo Traveler and now manufacture MAN trucks. India has been the hub of low cost junk as well as precision equipments for a long while. Consider the fact, its amongst the few nation which has its own indigenous space project and now it has successfully fired a supersonic cruiser missile aka the Brahmos. India's outward appearance is deceptive as it has a huge cache of highly educated personnel working in various projects. India is also now among one of the largest hub of auto parts and ancillary manufacturing.

Going back to Gurkha, the front end is Hanomag and the rear end is MB 407d truck and in every terms its stronger than its MB G240 counterpart and also quite competent due to the unique tubular chassis. Interior is sparse and akin to the NATO G.

I like all the offroaders I have owned, I also currently own a 69 Nissan Patrol. The Gurkha has been mechanically flawless even though it has taken the hardest hits of all the off roaders I have owned. The GD300 is also bulletproof and for long hauls, I prefer it as its more comfortable and less noisy but for hardcore off roading, I take the Gurkha due to its certain advantages.

I thought you guys were talking about this cousin...

CSP_Samurai_GClass1.jpg

Suzuki G-urai

ZooJunkie

Explorer
If you owned and drove one of these, part of your experience of owning and driving it, you'll have to learn to speak like the commentator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles