Helmet Cam

bajasurf

Explorer
I have been Googleing for a few days trying to decide which helmet cam to get. I have looked at and read reviews I think of every cam available. Then the thought hit me maybe the guys at this thread have insights to offer. Yesterday I chatted with a guy( I am in Erendira) that was mapping the course for the upcoming Baja 500(June 5th, 6th and 7th) and noticed on his dash(Dodge Cummings) he had an Epic(bought at Costco). He showed me video he had stored on his laptop. Not bad at all. What I want is a cam that can not only be used on the bike but also I can attach it to my longboard . Waterproofed. All ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bajasurf

Explorer
Goodtimes: I probably will order this: http:www.tachyoninc.com

Thanks for the link and what Scott has is more than I need. I expect to put the cam through the works when I surf my favorite almost unknown Baja break I named years ago as "Turn and Burn".

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I have one of theses ATC3K from Oregon Scientific. Works fine, very limited compared to the POV.1.5 above, no preview so you are guessing on your aim point, but cheap (can be found for about $100 on-line), super simple and very small/light. I think the specs and the features on the tachyoninc (remote, etc) are better then the ATC3K

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=30&scid=127&pid=971

ATC3K_rg.jpg

Last edited:

bajasurf

Explorer
Theksmith: The GoPro is a great unit and really considered it as the one to buy. I stumbled upon a YouTube video review of 7 different helmet cams. I am posting the link to the review and once there you only need to click on the start arrow and the video review is about 4 and 1/2 minutes. Thanks very much for your reply.

http://www.youtube.com/user/helmetcamreview

waterweber

Observer
Get the gopro. I love mine. Simple and takes good shots. I will post some videos from my trip the Costa Rica in a day or so and link them here.

JPFreek1

Explorer
We reviewed two helmet cams in the current issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine. Check out the reviews in the spring 2009 issue on our website, www.jpfreek.com.

I also have a helmetcamera.com Camera that hasn't been officially written about yet but it's an amazing camera with the best resolution of any of the others I've seen. The drawback? I paid over $500 for the package and it's heavy. But it's a great camera if you are willing to spend the dough. Otherwise, the GoPro options are good ones and they're 1/3 the price.

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
The GoPro Hero isn't bad for the price, though don't expect to replace your Leica - there are some issues around image quality. I wrote about it here, sample images included.

Nick.

Last edited:

bajasurf

Explorer
Nickt: I think your video is pretty darn good and for what I want to do, short video you tube clips to send to my friends, the kind where you say " You should have been here the surf was ripping". Just enough to pi-- them off I would be very satisfied. I really do like your video and the action was great especially weaving through the trees. I looked at the sky and it appears very overcast that day. My impression (reading different blogs) with these type of camcorders is the brighter the day the better the results. Thanks for sharing your video and thoughts. Greatly appreciated.

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
@bajasurf exactly, it's ideal for your purpose.

I think these type of cameras have a great future. I reckon it won't be long before we're just capturing everything by default and keeping the best bits.

Nick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94