JK/J8 Flippac rumor??

ECVMatt

Observer
I like this idea a lot....

It really make sense to me. My pops has a JK 4D and loves my Horizon, but doesn't want to get a seperate trailer. This would allow him to camp with us in comfort.

4K sounds about right for this.

Good Luck,

Matt

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
By replacing the regular rear doors with the rear half doors, you just added about $1,000 to the price tag :( I'd really prefer something that keeps the 4 door configuration.

Could you make the 1st chop with the roof opening to the rear again - just for me :) - with:
- Rear full doors in place
- The flip top just going up to the B-pillar so we still can remove the targa top over the front seat and can have a JK camper and the open air Jeep feeling (wanna have my cake and eat it too ;))

Thanks

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
The Swiss wrote
The flip top just going up to the B-pillar so we still can remove the targa top over the front seat and can have a JK camper and the open air Jeep feeling (wanna have my cake and eat it too )

Bingo -- Sounds perfect!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I will see what I can do.....

I am not saying replace the full doors with half doors. I would just install a fiberglass filler to fill the space. This would not be $1000 at all. It could just bolt into the existing hinge and striker plate. These would not open and close.
The 3-door J8 would not need these, and hence the major reason why I didn't include the rear doors.

If a floor is going to be molded into the camper I don't know if the rear door opening would be very practical. With rear doors you are going to have to give up a LARGE area of 'wall' that can house your camper features like cabinets, sinks, fridges, etc.

Do you guys still want to use the rear seats? Or just have the doors for access to the rear cargo area?

I'll do a chop though for marketing research :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Chops for you guys....

earthroamerconcept4dooe.jpg

Full top 4-door concept

earthroamerconcept4doorshort.jpg

Short top 4-door concept

Gear

How about one more chop. I like this one below, but would like to see it as a flip pack. Also can you remove the B pillar support. Paint the shell a dark grey/Black and use a Khaki color for the fabric. Thanks

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/Metcalfphoto/J8 project/earthroamerconcept4doorshort.jpg

To make this a cost effective project. I think a simple shell that copies the factory hardtop with the Flip-Pac concept. Keep the T-tops working in the front. I know you would like to loose the rear doors for storage and all but this takes away from the daily driver aspect. As for the floor I would personally just do what Jeep did in the Jeep Overland addition. Simple false floor made out of wood. Storage under the floor.

P1030767-1.jpg

Great job! Thanks

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Can I have the link to more pictures from the Overland Expo jeep that you posted? I really like the flat floor concept they did.

Honestly designing this around a standard 5-door JK makes the most sense, but I am still holding out for my dream of a 3-door J8. I hope we can get it to all crossover.

I will work up another chop hopefully today or tonight. I actually modeled the camper in Solidworks for the chop so I have to go back a few steps to change the colors.

Technically having the top short AND flip up over the targa panels could be pretty hard. I do like the idea that we may be able to use the factory targa panels in the new top....that would be slick. The hinge area could work out to be very simple....or be a bear to get in that location with the rollbar and stuff. Having the top look almost 99% stock yet open up for the camper would be my ultimate goal. I like stuff that looks stock but isn't even close.

I did come up with a pretty simple way to have a full length bed with the shorter roof area so keep that in mind....

Crazy idea....what if the rear doors opened up into storage compartments that where sealed from the inside? This way you could have some pretty slick storage areas for dirty/muddy/wet stuff....

Gear

Metcalf wrote -
Can I have the link to more pictures from the Overland Expo jeep that you posted? I really like the flat floor concept they did.

I took that shot at OvExpo. I have a couple of others but they are just the same angle. Both sides open up and there is access to the rear compartment as well.

Crazy idea....what if the rear doors opened up into storage compartments that where sealed from the inside? This way you could have some pretty slick storage areas for dirty/muddy/wet stuff....

I was thinking of a square slide out from the passenger side rear door. Could also be used as a step to get up into the bed. Possible a Drifta kitchen. You could also run with soft doors by Bestop. Then removing the rear door for easy access. How about adding my Hannibal Awning on the side then you could have this setup as well.

DSC_1203.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ok, its really easy to add and add and add....

Lets slow down and focus on the camper concept before we start adding stuff on everywhere. The awning is a valid idea, but I would think that best we could do is integrate a mounting position/brace inside the fiberglass shell. Also, a full awning like that is going to have to be mounted pretty high to avoid the doors, perhaps adding more height to the camper shell.

The more simple we make this idea the easier it is going to be to get built.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I will see what I can do.....

If a floor is going to be molded into the camper I don't know if the rear door opening would be very practical. With rear doors you are going to have to give up a LARGE area of 'wall' that can house your camper features like cabinets, sinks, fridges, etc.

Do you guys still want to use the rear seats? Or just have the doors for access to the rear cargo area?
Having the floor molded to the top might cause problems with the roll bar, and I defenitely do not want to get rid of the roll bars. As my JK is and remains my daily driver, I have to be able to use the rear seats.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Ok, its really easy to add and add and add....

Lets slow down and focus on the camper concept before we start adding stuff on everywhere. The awning is a valid idea, but I would think that best we could do is integrate a mounting position/brace inside the fiberglass shell. Also, a full awning like that is going to have to be mounted pretty high to avoid the doors, perhaps adding more height to the camper shell.

The more simple we make this idea the easier it is going to be to get built.
Fully agree. Let's concentrate on creating a base sleeper top for the JK; details like awning, floor and interior should IMHO be left to the individual owners. I would love to be able to buy what I can not make myself, the bare bone camper top, and fab the rest to my gusto. Don't forget: real Jeeps, also camper Jeeps, are made, not bought ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne