2000 Montero

I my quest for a daily driver/ light expaditon rig (My suburban is not a daily driver) I have found a 2000 Montero that I am going to look at tomorrow. I have been searching, but can't find much info on this year, except that it seems to be an odd ball model between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 (I think those are the correct gens). The picture on Edmunds.com for 2000 does not look like what this one does. I see OME only has lifts for 92-99, and 2001-2006??? Where factory lockers available on 2000 models? Any other info? Thanks.

Justice R

Adventurer

2000 was the last year of the Gen 2.5 in the US. It has the 3.5 24V SOHC which is a good engine. We refer to the 98-2000 as the gen 2.5 and the main difference is the bulging fenders which differ from the 92-97 models. These were available with a cold weather package that included the rear locker heated seats and mirrors.

Make sure your looking at a Montero not a Montero Sport as I've see them incorrectly listed as Monteros all the time.

When looking at OME aftermarket stuff, the years are one behind for the US models. They change over in the US one year after the overseas markets, so in other words, OME junk listed for 99 will fit a 2000 model in the US. That being said I would stay away from the OME shocks. I know two members of the wire who have broken the eyes off them.

Last edited:
2000 was the last year of the Gen 2.5 in the US. It has the 3.5 24V SOHC which is a good engine. We refer to the 98-2000 as the gen 2.5 and the maindifference is the bulging fenders which differ from the 92-97 models. These were available with a cold weather package that included the rear locker heated seats and mirrors.

Make sure your looking at a Montero not a Montero Sport as I've see them incorrectly listed as Monteros all the time.

Thanks for the info. It is a Montero, and not a Montero Sport.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I know you didn't ask for this, but ARB has the front locker already available. The ARB Rear locker for this model was just announced and should be available soon.

Well it does not have the factory rear locker. It has 76k miles on it and are asking $8999, but I think I can get it for $6500. How easy are they to work on? I read something that said you have to remove the intake to change the spark plugs on v6 models. Is that true?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Well it does not have the factory rear locker. It has 76k miles on it and are asking $8999, but I think I can get it for $6500. How easy are they to work on? I read something that said you have to remove the intake to change the spark plugs on v6 models. Is that true?

If it's like the 3.5 liter in my 2001, yes you do.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had the 3.0 V6, and it was very easy to work on. It is a Chrysler engine, and parts were very easy to get from the local auto parts store (Kragen, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc...). I owned it for 11 years and about 150,000 miles. It was a very solid little truck. Mine had the factory rear locker, and it worked great the few times I used it (typically only a couple times a year).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I had the 3.0 V6, and it was very easy to work on. It is a Chrysler engine...
No actually it was a MITSU motor that Chrysler used in their Mini-Vans in teh 80's/90's... Good motors too. We had one in a Caravan that wen't over 350k miles, I wish I had that thing in my Toyota for it's grunt compared to my 22RE.

As for teh OME comment: are they drasticly different then the other OME shocks??? Cause I have them on my truck that get's fairly well abused adn I ran them on Cruisers in OZ that saw more abuse ina week then most trucks int eh US see in their lives. While they may not be upt to snuff wit say Bilstein's, they're good shocks that are (at least on my Toyota) holding up VERY well. For that matter I've seen Bilsteins rip apart too when running a particularly rough long washboard road. Everything will break if not maintained and abused.

I say go OME, you can't beat the price. Unless you're going do an SAS and make a custom suspension, dollar for dollar they're imo the best stock replacement to slightly longer (as in to accomodate lift) shock out there. just my .02

Cheers

Dave

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I had the 3.0 V6, and it was very easy to work on. It is a Chrysler engine, and parts were very easy to get from the local auto parts store (Kragen, AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc...). I owned it for 11 years and about 150,000 miles. It was a very solid little truck. Mine had the factory rear locker, and it worked great the few times I used it (typically only a couple times a year).

I had the 3.0 in my older Montero as well. A bit easier to work on too.

Nathan, I think that Chrysler was using Mitsubishi engines, and not the other way around.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
How complicated of a job is it?

It seems a bit involved. I had mine done for me, at 60,000 miles; however, next time I would like to do it myself.

Here are a couple diagrams to give you an idea; although, the one regarding the intake manifold is more complex than what probably needs to be done just to get to the spark plugs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...?authkey=Gv1sRgCIjVw_mP2---RQ&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...?authkey=Gv1sRgCIjVw_mP2---RQ&feat=directlink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke