What do you look for in an Expo Bike?

Cody1771

Explorer
since this area is pretty new to me, i was curious, what do you guys look for in an bike when use for expeditioning or long trips? ive done LOTS of dirtbiking ect so motorbiking isnt new to me really. Ive always liked the BMW Dakar as an all purpose use bike. Whats concidered a high end bike, and a low end? 99% of the bikes ive ever ridden are older Yamahas and Hondas with the odd trials bike and a Duke 998 thrown in there heh.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Klr

I ride a KLR for a number of reasons. It's easy to modify to suit my particular needs. It's easy to work on in the field with minimal tools. Parts availability is exceptional. It's old technology and carbureted. I can pick it up when I drop it. It's reasonably capable on the highway, and reasonably capable off road. It's cheap, so if I ultimately need to abandon it somewhere I can replace it. It is not finicky in any way, shape or form, and I love riding it!

John

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It really depends on what you want to do with it, what kind of a rider you are, what you like, what 'fits' you, and what you can afford.

Do you spend time on the freeway? How much?

--heavier bikes fare better on the roads with lots of truck traffic...and typically have more power which is nice when you want to keep up with traffic all day long.

What sort of "dirt" will you be riding in?

--maintained dirt "roads" typically don't require a whole lot of suspension travel and ground clearance. Unmaintained dirt roads need more...single track even more. A KTM 525 is overkill if you are looking to tour the maintained dirt roads where you will probably never see much worse than some wash boards....on the other hand, a BMW 1200GS isn't the best choice for blowing down single track.....

How fast do you ride?

--bikes like the G650GS (or pre 2008 F650GS), KLR, etc are great for most roads/trails if you are not in a hurry. If you are just cruising the back roads and trails (even trails like the TAT), these bikes are great....but if you want to go fast....ehh...not so great.

How much sand, and what type of sand?
--lets face it....heavy bikes typically are not your firend in deep, soft sand. Light is right.....

Do you wrench on your own bikes, or do you let someone else do it?
--if you do your own work, older carburated bikes are easier to work on when things go wrong. But, if you don't do your own work...fuel injection is more reliable.

**I'm going to catch hell about that statement, but I believe it to be true. To those who will argue that carbs are better: Sure, you can rebuild a carb on the side of the trial...but honestly...how often have *you* come across someone sitting on the side of the road because their fuel injection system took a crap? Drop the unsubstantiated, anecdotal story about you buddies uncles friends father in law who heard about this guy who knew some other guy who heard a story at the bar about some guy who remembers hearing a story about a guy that heard someone had trouble with their fuel injection back in 1983.

Besides, it is a moot point anyway, because if you don't have the tools and knowledge of how to fix a carb on the side of the trail...you're walking.

Ergonomics....the bars and pegs can be tweaked on any bike...but if you can't get a foot to the ground fast enough, you'll be picking the bike up a lot more often. Getting that foot to the ground is an individual thing...some guys are completely comfortable on really tall bikes...some are not. Get a bike that YOU are comfortable on. Personally, if I can get the toe of each boot on the ground while sitting on the seat...I'm good.

As with 4x4's...it doesn't make much sense (to me) to spend so much money on the vehicle that you can't afford to go anywhere. A $1,000 ratty old honda that runs well and allows you to afford to go on trips is a whole lot more fun than a $18,000 R1200GSA that forces you to spend every weekend working overtime just to make the payments.

So, the real question is....what do YOU look for in an adventure bike?

But if you really want to know what "I" look for....400+ pounds, 75+ HP, low enough seat that I can get the toe of each boot on the ground (at the same time) when sitting on level ground, water cooled, availability of crash protection/skid plates/etc, enough suspension that I can go for a 'spirited' ride in the dirt (I don't do much single track, motocross, etc), a price tag that I can afford (which changes from year to year). I think I have found a pretty good fit to all of those with the BMW F800GS.

Would other bikes fit? Sure....but the GS is what is in the garage, and I'm really happy with it.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
ive been flipping through the net and i really like the KLR's and the price is damn resonable
The KLR is a great bike! Buy a used one and put some miles on it. No better way to figure out what you want/need in a bike than to just go ride something (anything!) for a few thousand miles.

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah ill have to look into it. i might get something lighter though. something i can put on my hitch rack i know i can safely fit a 450 on there.

scarysharkface

Explorer
It really depends on what you want to do with it, what kind of a rider you are, what you like, what 'fits' you, and what you can afford.

Do you spend time on the freeway? How much?

--heavier bikes fare better on the roads with lots of truck traffic...and typically have more power which is nice when you want to keep up with traffic all day long.

What sort of "dirt" will you be riding in?

--maintained dirt "roads" typically don't require a whole lot of suspension travel and ground clearance. Unmaintained dirt roads need more...single track even more. A KTM 525 is overkill if you are looking to tour the maintained dirt roads where you will probably never see much worse than some wash boards....on the other hand, a BMW 1200GS isn't the best choice for blowing down single track.....

How fast do you ride?

--bikes like the G650GS (or pre 2008 F650GS), KLR, etc are great for most roads/trails if you are not in a hurry. If you are just cruising the back roads and trails (even trails like the TAT), these bikes are great....but if you want to go fast....ehh...not so great.

How much sand, and what type of sand?
--lets face it....heavy bikes typically are not your firend in deep, soft sand. Light is right.....

Do you wrench on your own bikes, or do you let someone else do it?
--if you do your own work, older carburated bikes are easier to work on when things go wrong. But, if you don't do your own work...fuel injection is more reliable.

**I'm going to catch hell about that statement, but I believe it to be true. To those who will argue that carbs are better: Sure, you can rebuild a carb on the side of the trial...but honestly...how often have *you* come across someone sitting on the side of the road because their fuel injection system took a crap? Drop the unsubstantiated, anecdotal story about you buddies uncles friends father in law who heard about this guy who knew some other guy who heard a story at the bar about some guy who remembers hearing a story about a guy that heard someone had trouble with their fuel injection back in 1983.

Besides, it is a moot point anyway, because if you don't have the tools and knowledge of how to fix a carb on the side of the trail...you're walking.

Ergonomics....the bars and pegs can be tweaked on any bike...but if you can't get a foot to the ground fast enough, you'll be picking the bike up a lot more often. Getting that foot to the ground is an individual thing...some guys are completely comfortable on really tall bikes...some are not. Get a bike that YOU are comfortable on. Personally, if I can get the toe of each boot on the ground while sitting on the seat...I'm good.

As with 4x4's...it doesn't make much sense (to me) to spend so much money on the vehicle that you can't afford to go anywhere. A $1,000 ratty old honda that runs well and allows you to afford to go on trips is a whole lot more fun than a $18,000 R1200GSA that forces you to spend every weekend working overtime just to make the payments.

So, the real question is....what do YOU look for in an adventure bike?

But if you really want to know what "I" look for....400+ pounds, 75+ HP, low enough seat that I can get the toe of each boot on the ground (at the same time) when sitting on level ground, water cooled, availability of crash protection/skid plates/etc, enough suspension that I can go for a 'spirited' ride in the dirt (I don't do much single track, motocross, etc), a price tag that I can afford (which changes from year to year). I think I have found a pretty good fit to all of those with the BMW F800GS.

Would other bikes fit? Sure....but the GS is what is in the garage, and I'm really happy with it.

Great post.

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
My KLR in Southern Labrador June 2008, enroute to Newfoundland after riding the Trans-Labrador Highway:

320630834_KEti2-XL.jpg

John

WMac

Adventurer
My expeditions include driving straight up.
So mine has no seat and very VERY stickey tires.

trials-laia2.jpg
TrialsMontesaAction.jpg

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Trial bikes (& riders...) are freekin' fun to watch.

But I have this serious dislike of pain....so I tend to avoid participating in such craziness...

I'll stick to the big wallowing pigs (BMWs), thank you very much.

:bike_rider:

WMac

Adventurer
Fortunatly, I gerw up riding these, and was a team rider for Sherco for years. I can pretty much keep the boots on the pegs, and the tires on the down side.

But when I do, do a get off. its pretty spectacular to watch.

Ok Ill stop. I dont want to hijack a thread. I just couldnt help but post how I get across the back country on a Motercycle.

Thanks for allowing me some fun.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
I do have a bias for the BMW Dakar, but right there with it is the KLR 650. The advantage of both is that there is much aftermarket support to configure the bike however you want. Another to consider is the DR650.

The DR is the best dirt bike of the three, but less refined on pavement. Aftermarket support is much thinner, but it has the advantage of being air cooled and carbureted, making it simpler to maintain.

You can't go wrong with any of them and you can add the KTM.

Overdrive

Adventurer
how often have *you* come across someone sitting on the side of the road because their fuel injection system took a crap? Drop the unsubstantiated, anecdotal story about you buddies uncles friends father in law who heard about this guy who knew some other guy who heard a story at the bar about some guy who remembers hearing a story about a guy that heard someone had trouble with their fuel injection back in 1983.

:xxrotflma
Actually, I heard it was 1985.
:xxrotflma

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
My number 1 rule for a motorcycle:

It has to "do it" for you when you look at it and ride it.

...once you have that, any bike will go around the world.

It's what motorcycles are for!

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior