What do you look for in an Expo Bike?

jesusgatos

Explorer
You should also look at the XR650's (R not L) and maybe the DRZ400's too, although the only advantage a DRZ400 has over an XR650R is the e-start.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The R is a great bike; however, I've found when loaded for a trip of any distance the extra performance is somewhat negated. I'm a big fan of the XR650L...simple, cheap, reliable and parts are easy to find in most places, as are tires.

-H-

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Do you wrench on your own bikes, or do you let someone else do it?
--if you do your own work, older carburated bikes are easier to work on when things go wrong. But, if you don't do your own work...fuel injection is more reliable.

**I'm going to catch hell about that statement, but I believe it to be true. To those who will argue that carbs are better: Sure, you can rebuild a carb on the side of the trial...but honestly...how often have *you* come across someone sitting on the side of the road because their fuel injection system took a crap? Drop the unsubstantiated, anecdotal story about you buddies uncles friends father in law who heard about this guy who knew some other guy who heard a story at the bar about some guy who remembers hearing a story about a guy that heard someone had trouble with their fuel injection back in 1983.

Besides, it is a moot point anyway, because if you don't have the tools and knowledge of how to fix a carb on the side of the trail...you're walking.

If you've seen me post in the LR forum, you know I'm anything but a caveman tech type. However, I have personally had to leave behind a KTM 950 Adventure because a fuel pump died.

805gregg

Adventurer
At a price you can afford? How much? My local Ventura BMW wanted $ 11,000. before any extras. Just wondering?
Seems to be a lot of posts on ADV about problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior