• pl.jpg
    pl.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 386
  • PerryRunnerOutlaws09.gif
    PerryRunnerOutlaws09.gif
    194.9 KB · Views: 384

irish_11

Explorer
I thought I'd take some updated photos of the 4runner and its new bumper. Its currently going though a little heart surgery and should have the new transplant in as soon as I can actually decide on what Im doing. Its my first engine removal/install so Im not sure who Im going to go with on the new engine. All I know is its going to be another 22re.

P5150968.jpg

P5150967.jpg

P5150964.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
one could make the argument that the trekker was really the first gen runner, but i wont go there:sombrero: nice rigs everyone

S

Scenic WonderRunner

one could make the argument that the trekker was really the first gen runner, but i wont go there:sombrero: nice rigs everyone

Fun to remember! Thanks!

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0509-78944 <~Trekker info.

http://www.top4runners.com/runhist/runhist11984.html <~Toyota 4Runner History

Isn't this brian89 a member here?

http://www.brian894x4.com/Toyotapickup4Runnermodels.html

"Although very rare, Toyota did sell a pre-4Runner version in this generation called the
Trekker. It was actually a conversion done by Winnebego, where basicly they took a
Toyota truck, cut out the back cab wall, added a special canopy and added rear seating.
This was the basis for the highly successfull 4Runner design of future generations".

Attachments

• 81ToyotaTrekker.jpg
    81ToyotaTrekker.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited by a moderator:

herdnerd

I thought I'd take some updated photos of the 4runner and its new bumper. Its currently going though a little heart surgery and should have the new transplant in as soon as I can actually decide on what Im doing. Its my first engine removal/install so Im not sure who Im going to go with on the new engine. All I know is its going to be another 22re.

Irish-

What are the specs on your runner? I like it!

Mark

irish_11

Explorer
Irish-

What are the specs on your runner? I like it!

Mark

Thanks. Its basically Stock as far as the suspension goes minus the daystar rear shackles which I used to fix the rear sag. It's on 31x10.5 BFG all-terrains. The front bumper is an old ramsey winch bumper made for a 1st generation pickup that the mounts were modified to fit on this rig. Other than that its stock. I added a Cd player a custom CB radio mount over head and a custom antenna mount much like that on 4crawllers rig.

Its a clean, well loved rig with only 124k on it. But I just don't think the previous owner new what he had nor how to take care of it since I've replaced every seal on the engine since I purchased it. Now the gutless wonder is truly gutless thought. It'll be up and running soon enough I'm sure. And the few changes in the future will make it an every more fun rig to own.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Here's mine as of today:

DSCN1722-Re-Size.jpg

I love this rig, that's for sure. As soon as I get back friom Idaho the GF and I are taking a long 5 day weekend/road trip through SE Oregon NE Cali... Can't wait.

Cheers

Dave

18seeds

Explorer
Here is my 89. New 22re :) Although i may be selling it because my sister may be giveing me a honda element :) :( I can't have 3 cars

DSC00519.jpg

rewell6

Here is my '89 that I picked it up 2 weeks ago. I really missed the '87 we sold a few years ago. Sold it because we got tired of putting kids through the rear windows into their carseats. They can buckle theirselves now.
DSC_7621.gif

RU55ELL

Explorer
Do all of you feel that your 1st gens are reliable enough to be far away from civilzation and not break badly enough to not be able to make it back? I have an 86 with 211k right now. I have never had anything this old or with this many miles and was wondering how safe it is to venture off in something like that.

Picture002.jpg

84scrambler

Observer
here is mine 266k and all original 3.slow 5spd. been to deer valley, slick rock and has done 50 on the dunes. I cant seem to kill it, and it was a grand :victory:

Attachments

• jimmys.jpg
    jimmys.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

corax

Explorer
Do all of you feel that your 1st gens are reliable enough to be far away from civilzation and not break badly enough to not be able to make it back? I have an 86 with 211k right now. I have never had anything this old or with this many miles and was wondering how safe it is to venture off in something like that.

My '88 had ~ 250k miles on it when I swapped teh engine out - it didn't use a drop of oil between changes and I sold the engine for $500 . . . at 211k, I wouldn't worry about it. Change any fluids you aren't sure of, give 'er a bit of love every now and then and she'll stay true

S

Scenic WonderRunner

It would be also fun to hear how many miles, those of you with the 3.0 V6 got out of your engines. It's already sounding good!

How about......

Show us your 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner on the "Black Bear" Trail....Colorado!

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0297-1.jpg

Gatordoc

Adventurer
It all depends on how well taken care of it was/is. Toyotas are definitely better than most, but even they will fail if you don't take care of them; it just takes a lot longer! 211K is not much for a 22re, just do all the PMCS/baselining (timing chain, belts, water pump, fluids, tune up, wheel bearings, etc) before you go out if you have any doubts about when it was last done. Older toyota trucks, particularly those with the 22R(E) engines are what built toyota's reputation for reliability in the US.

It would be also fun to hear how many miles, those of you with the 3.0 V6 got out of your engines. It's already sounding good!

Mine had 285k on it before I rebuilt the engine. I'm convinced it would still be running fine without a rebuild, but it sucked in a chunk of metal from somewhere and chewed up the #6 piston and the head. I did a quickie rebuild (only machining I had done was on the damaged head) so I could drive it from CA to VA when I PCS'd, that was about 15k ago and it still seems to be doing fine. When the 3.0 finally gives up the ghost for good I'm going to swap in a 5VZ-FE (3.4L V6) as that's a pretty straight forward swap.

The 3VZE gets a bad rap mainly becuase it was used alongside the 22r and gets compared to it all the time; that would make any engine look unreliable. It is certainly sub-par coming from Toyota, but that still puts it ahead of much of the competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne