1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Here are a couple pics of my '88.

This one was taken last summer whilst exploring George Washington National Forest
picture.php

Another, thats me on the right
picture.php

In the driveway a few days ago with the new Marlin Crawler Front and Rear bumpers
picture.php

picture.php

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Lookin' good.....BNB.....!

Great job on the lift! You Animal!!!!!:victory::elkgrin::ylsmoke:

2008_0618ArizonaSpring20080147-3.jpg

rewell6

Corax's mods

Couldn't find a better place to post this so here goes:

I asked Corax about the mods he has done to his 4Runner and he was kind enough to give us a review.

rewell said:
I am sure that many of us with 1st gen 4Runners would like to know a few things about your mods.

Tire size, gear ratio and rpm on highway?

How do you like the 7m? How is the mileage? Have you seen this page 7M Tech Notes. Have you had any head gasket trouble yet? Do you wish you upgraded the 22re or used a different engine?

And most important How do you like the LSD? How does it act in snow, ice? Are you happy with the addition of the few washers to tighten it up? I should have one on the way sometime next week.

The link that he refers to is 7m Tech Notes

corax said:
Thanks for the link :smiley_drive: Most of the info you want about the swap itself is HERE . . . the T100 dual diaphragm brake booster will NOT work with a 7MGE swap since there is barely enoough room between the stock brake booster and teh intake manifold as is, that's why I'm going down in size to increase the hydraulic leverage of the master cylinder (currently 1 1/16" MC, looking for a 15/16" MC off a mkIII Supra).

My last truck had a heavily modified 22RE (10.5:1 forged pistons, .080" overbore, balance & blueprint, head work + cam, etc, etc - I ran an Audi A4 quatro stoplight to stoplight with it no problem). I like the inline 6 though, a bit better torque (due to firing order and spacing between firing events - that's why all the big rigs run inline 6 diesels instead of a "V" configuration) though it is a tad touchier when tipping in on the throttle

I'm running the factory 22RE trans (W56) with 4.56 gears and 32x11.5x15 BFG A/Ts . . . my speedometer is dead accurate when compared to the Garmin so my gearing is also dead on (no advantage, no disadvantage through gearing), at 65 mph in 5th the engine turns 3k rpm, at 55 in 4th the engine is running ~2,800 rpm

The LSD is mostly transparent, meaning you really don't notice it on the trail, though I can tell it does help when the rear start to break loose - if you're looking for max traction, you might want a locker of some sort. I like running high speed dirt sometimes though and didn't want the steering quirks that come with an auto locker (it'll lock and cause the truck to "push" if you try to accelerate out of a turn, best to coast through a turn) nor did I want the expense of an ARB. I am looking to beef it up and make it better though with this kit
BTW, here's The *official* 7.5" Supra LSD into a IFS diff thread

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
From one Dave to another... That is one nice looking 4Runner. GLad to hear the 22R ran well. my 22RE (89) heats up on long grades when I'm fully loaded too, but it never get's to the red or even close so I'm ok with it. Still to date one of my favorite 4x4's ever made. now if they had just left the solid axle under them and given us a 1kz-t Diesel option...

Cheers

Dave

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Here's my one of my old Runners, 87 & SAS converted before I sold it - freshly built & the buyer had enough $$ to talk me out of it so I let her go for $13,500. It had everything... yes that too.

attachment.php

22RE
DT header
W56
Dual Cases
5.0 in rear case
5.29's
ARB's
Longfields
AP SAS SWap
AP triple X crossmember w/parking brake
AP rear disc brake kit
AP bumpers
AP sliders
Warn Winch
Masterpull synthetic rope
Can Back
37" MTR's
Beadlocks
Rear PU tailgate conversion
Onboard Air
Dual CV Drivelines
Howe hydro assist steering
yada yada yada

Attachments

• 86 runner jpg.JPG
    86 runner jpg.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 3,353
Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Post 'em up!

2007_0512JacumbaMtnsBorderFen0017.jpg

Hey! Check out the "Face of Nature" in the upper right!

Looks like a Dinosaur....eating a cookie with his hand in his mouth!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles