1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.....

Show us your 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner's.

And tell us your story! Your mod's, your travels, tell us where you have been!.....etc.

When you have new outback travel pics.....post them up!

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0312-2.jpg

I encourage future new ExPo Members to join in the fun! So if you are not an ExPo Member yet, but have a 1st Gen and are reading this. Join up and share! Why not, it's Free!:ylsmoke:

irish_11

Explorer
here's my 88 4cyl 5spd. Its dead right now, but Im in the process of pulling the old engine out (cracked block) and putting another 22re in. As far as I can figure it had a bad temp gauge and overheated. The block cracked and the head was warped. I just cant give up on it so Im rebuilding it.

Its sitting on 31's BGF all terrains and has a 2" rear shackle to combat the famous 4runner rear sag. I've ditched the tube steps, put on a Ramsey winch bumper, and a few other items. Next its going to get a new 22re, Downey offroad 2" rear springs, 26mm torsion bars, new shocks, and 4crawler offroad BJ spacers. Then I'll toss a set of 33's under there and probably have to regear. Its a project, but once you start your hooked.

The pic was taken 3 years ago at Reiter outside Gold Bar, Wa. The st gen pickup was at one point in time mine also, but I had to sell it to by the 4runner. I kinda which I could have both.

newandold.jpg

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

She looks Very worth saving, Irish!

Keep her Alive!

How about some Downey Headers for the new engine>?!!!:elkgrin:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I Love it James! I've been Following! Good Job! ........:victory::elkgrin::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

......carry on!

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0046-2.jpg

irish_11

Explorer
The salt-free roads here really do help to keep the older rigs in good shape.

x2. I have little to no rust anywhere on this thing. There is a bit on whats left of my under bed spare tire carrier but I cut that part off already. Which reminds me I need a rear tire carrier bumper :oops:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader

I've always LOVED this 1st Gen. I'l;l post some ore of Mine when i get home. needless to say I think these are some of the neatest little 4x4's ever offered in the US. Underpowered yes, but a TON of fun in the dirt.

Cheers

Dave

corax

Explorer
Corax

Aug '08 Big Bear, CA (Dishpan Springs)
DSCF2101.jpg

Sept '08 Yosemite CA
IMG_0077.jpg

Oct '08 Trinidad, North Cali
081007-1.jpg

Oct '08 Crater Lake, OR
081009-8.jpg

Jan '09 TTORA @ Rausch Creek Offroad Park, PA
IMG_3270.jpg

1988 4Runner

-3.0L 7MGE Supra engine swap (200 hp stock, inline 6)
-Port & Polish on the cyl head with ARP head studs
-MSD 6A Ignition, MSD Blaster 2 coil and MSD 8mm wires
-2.5" mandrel bent exhaust through a stainless Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler
-OME Dakar rear leafs, Marlin Crawler U-Bolt flip kit, Bilstein 5150 remote reservoir (177/60 or soft valving), urethane bumpstops
-T-100 caliper / rotor brake upgrade, T-100 1 1/16" Master Cylinder, removed LSPV and installed Wilwood manual proportioning valve
-home-fab front bumper, rear bumper with receiver, lower control arm brace, idler arm brace
-Toyota LSD front differential swap from an '83 Celica Supra
-4.56:1 V6 center sections front and rear w/ 32x11.5x15 BFG A/T KO tires on alloy's
-Marlin HD W56 trans
-Hannemann front fenders
-Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe hood vents
-110,000 candlepower driving lights (aircraft spot beams)
-rear driving lights wired for use as reverse lights
-SR5 gauge cluster (tach, oil press, voltage), added engine vacuum gauge
-Cherokee CM-10+ CB peaked (10w), tuned, and able to transmit on 10M, 11M, 12M bands (CB is 26.965 MHz -> 27.405 MHz, I have 23.815 MHz -> 30.555 MHz)
-Yaesu FT-2800 2meter 65W Ham radio (135MHz - 173MHz)
'-89 Celica All-Trac Turbo seats
-NWMP 14 gal aux tank ready to go in
*built stout to be able to drive to the trail make it home every time

My Garage Thread <- alot of DIY in there

My cross country trip thread <- the wife drove it pulling a 3,500 lb trailer 4,000 miles, I was driving the RV

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles