Build Plan Suggestions?

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Hello! I've been planning a small multi-purpose off-road trailer build for a while now and thought I knew exactly what I wanted, up until being directed to this wonderful site you have here. After searching for a few weeks and reading up on the amazing builds many of you folks have done, I'm now more lost than ever, and my plans have changed a little. The goal is to build something along the same basic size as the AT Horizon, however it will be multi-purpose for both camping, but also work chores as well. I'd originally planned on a 3500# axle setup with electric brakes, but after looking into the Horizon setup further, and reading up on the TASS system and watching all the cool video's and such, I'm blown away at how well the system appears to work.

This will be my first trailer build attempt, so I want to make sure I get it right. Money is a concern, but again, I want to do it right and make sure I'll be happy in the long run, so if it means a little more up front to make sure the end result is what I'm after, then I guess I'll do what it takes to get the build right.

With the airbag setup, I see on AT's site they offer two different kit packages-one for converting the M416 trailer to the swingarm design and one a complete package. What's the difference between the two? There is a $500 price difference, but I can't tell the difference in the actual kits. Building a trailer from scratch, which one would be better to use? I assume you could adapt either from scratch couldn't you? Would it be better to go with the cheaper one as money is an object, or are their parts in the more expensive kit that would be needed?

What type of maintenance is required with the airbag/swingarm setup? How long do they last? What do you do with the bags when sitting idle for long periods of time-say over the winter when not being used? All my other trailers just sit there and I don't worry about them-is it the same with an airbag setup, or do they constantly require being filled to support the weight, even unloaded? Do you need a constant air supply, or just an occassional fill?

I planned on using 2x3x.120 square tube for the frame, with a 2" receiver on the back and a Lock-N-Roll hitch. At this point, not sure if I want a 2" slip in receiver style or a simple weld-on permanent mount. With the LNR hitch, I am failing to see the need anymore for a slip in mount as I did with the standard 2" ball and pintel style. -one of the many discoveries learned on this site! Was thinking prior, I'd run the 2" ball on the highway, then swap out to the pintel off-road, but now with the LNR, I think that will handle everything just fine, so I don't see a need for a changeable mount with it-I could be wrong? Plan to run LED's for lighting, possibly Line-X the fender area's and tub as paint just won't last on the road to our property-it takes a real beating. I've Herculined our other trailers, which has worked well, but Line-X is so much nicer. Wanted the axle to match the WMS of my LJ Rubi, with wheels/tires to match. If I decide to run a swingarm setup, that may change-can that be set to any width, or is it fixed?

Sorry for the massive first post-lots of questions. Thanks for any and all help you may provide. Greatly appreciate it!

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior