Ask Away

lionsbreath

Adventurer
crawldit said:
I honestly don't remember :confused: He was a big guy like me....I'd say 6'5 ish, mid 20's. I'm sure I'd remember his name if I heard it. If you remember having a used White 2003 X on your lot with a 6" lift and some 34" Swampers with a bunch of stickers on it, that was my trade-in. I bought one of the last 2005 Kakhi Rubicons that you had on the lot. Nice group of people that you have down there. You have 2 guys down there that are members of the AZVJC with me. It was a great buying experience :D I actually need to come see you guys soon. I'm at a month and already need my first oil change/tire rotation
I remember your trade!!!!!!!!! white lifted and a cracked head lamp. when you come by ask for me. "joe"

crawldit

Adventurer
Yep that was mine :ylsmoke: Cracked headlight, dinged passenger door and a really messed up rear window zipper. So do you work in service department?

Astrejim

Need advice - 2006 Rubicon Unlimited vs. 2006 Laredo

Okay. I know the difference between these 2 vehicles. But I am trying to understand the limitations of the Laredo. I would appreciate feedback on these questions...
1) I want to drive the logging road of BC to get to some sweet fishing spots. Can the Laredo do it?
2) If I get the Laredo, should I get the V8 or the stock V6?
3) If I get the Rubi Unlimited, should I get auto or standard. Does Auto take away that much performance?
4) What about skid plate options from Jeep? If I get the skid plate package, does this offer enough protection for the Laredo? Do Rubi's need any additional skip plates?
5) Dumb question but I want to ask...what's your opinion on Black Rubi's or Laredo's? What color should I get (I know..dumb question but I like to hear your thoughts).
6) If I get the rubi unlimited, what rack should I get so I can store more camping crap on the roof? Also, what winch should I get for it? Yeah, I guess I want to know what factory MOPAR accessories you would add to it if you were building one.

Okay, enough questions. I love pictures too. If the Laredo is just a cute suv, then it's not a consideration. Thanks in advance.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have driven the new Grand Cherokee Laredo off-highway, and it is severely limited. The V6 model has a full-time transfercase with no low range gearing. The suspension also lacks the required clearance and flexibility.

The Rubicon Unlimited is one of the most capable off-highway vehicles ever produced, and the longer wheelbase greatly improves highway maners.

If I were to buy a new SUV now, it would be the 2006 Xterra Off-Road. Just my opinion...

Astrejim

2006 X-Terra

Why the X-Terra? I haven't even considered it. I would like to know why you would recommend it and what options would you choose?

Scott Brady

Founder
Xterra Specs:

265 HP
32" Tall Tires
Rear locking differential
4 wheel traction control
Body on frame design
Functional interior
5000 lb tow rating
etc.

I also like the Rubicon Unlimited, but it is much more "off-road" centric, and has many compromises on the highway. For your needs, the xterra is perfect IMO.

+ d

Adventurer
its odd that you are trying to choose between the rubi and the grand cherokee (i am assuming the 2005+ model). they are, in the spectrum of 4x4's, two totally different vehicles. i think you should carefully consider/outline your goals and parameters of evaluation...comfort, bells and whistles, offroad potential, upgradability, storage space, passenger space, etc etc and then go from there.

if scott is suggesting the new xterra then it is definitely worth looking into (he seems to know his stuff :D ) when we first started "suv" shopping a few years ago i thought i wanted an xterra, but after driving the grand cherokee (2004-WJ) and realizing that i could, for the same money, get a maxed out Xterra or an entry level grand cherokee i never stepped foot in a nissan dealer again...

also, black isn't a very forgiving color, it's high maintenance, shows swirls and scratches...but damn it looks good

hth, david

Scott Brady

Founder
David,

You are correct. I am refering to the 2005 and newer Grands. 2004 and older are all great trail machines. I have owned two.

You also make a great suggestion on specifying needs first and then looking at vehicles that satisfy those requirements.

bluerunner

Adventurer
P1011060.jpg

Scott how capable do you think this one is?

:coffee: Just curious.

crawldit

Adventurer
AEV makes some pretty sweet Jeep conversions for sure, but that rig would cost some serious coin. Even though my last 3 rigs have been wranglers the one before that was an Xterra and I loved that thing. It was grossly underpowered but they seem to have remodied that with the new platforms. I'm with Scott on this one, I would seriously check out the new Xterra's. Here's a link to the 05 Rig that Calmini has put together :
http://www.purenissan.com/2005_xterra.htm
I don't know about you but I would wheel that anyday. My wife is actually thinking about trading in her Titan for one. We shall see.... :coffee:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I was just reading a thread over at www.naxja.org ( a Jeep Cherokee XJ specific website) that one of the members encountered a new prototype? from Jeep.

It was Unlimited-ish but he said it seemed about 5' shorter and it was diesel powered. This vehicle did have Michigan Manufacturer plates, any idea what it was? Unfortunately the poster did not have a camera on him at the time.

As said earlier, a Rubicon edition Unlimited with a diesel would surely be a popular model.

erin

Explorer
i would agree with Scott on the 2005+ Cherokee, rented one this summer at Lake Tahoe, and was not impressed at all. Limited articulation, very poor brakes and definitely no low range. I had to be real careful about not dragging the belly everywhere we went, which were roads that you could almost take a car on. The thing I felt was most disconcerting though were the brakes and the tranny ratios. I just felt that I could not stop that thing on hills. Coming down through the Donner Pass was a helluva ride. :D

Just my 2 cents.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

lionsbreath said:
Any questions on jeep products please ask away. I love my taco but make my money by knowing everyhing there is to know :jump: on jeeps because I sell them.

Can you give us the "Inside Scoop" on the "Gladiator".....?

Are they really going to make it?

When is it due?

"Expedition Portal Group Buy Pricing"......?!!....hehe :eek: :D :ylsmoke:

.....etc.?

131_0502_glad_06_z.jpg

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Ditto what WonderRunner said!

Is it going to production? If so, when?

And if yes, how close to the concept will it be?

If it is anywhere near the truck that the concept is, where do I sign?

I read somewhere that DC may hold off building it because it would compete with the Power Wagon. . .how do they figure that? As I understand the Gladiator, it will be a lighter, smaller vehicle. And I think I also remember that the Power Wagon will not be offered with a diesel. So how are they supposed to compete against one another?

And speaking at least for myself, I don't think they are appealing to the same markets . . . I would put my name on the dotted line today for a Gladiator, but I have ZERO interest in a Power Wagon (as nice and as capable as they are) so what gives?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior