Help Scotty decide on an Expedition Moto...

Scott Brady

Founder
2aroundtheworld said:
well Scott, like I said, welcome to the club. I bought a Black 950 a few weeks ago

Hey, how cool is that! Congrats to you too.

Great minds must think alike, huh? :bike_rider:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Congrats on a beautiful ride! I love the orange ones...

When I took my test ride I was lucky enough to do it at the factory, accompanied (babysat would be more like it...) by one of their race team managers and one of their factory racers. They both LOVED the 950 (it was JUST hitting the market at that time) and both grabbed them for the ride. I was absolutely gobsmacked at what those guys could do on those bikes - highway speed wheelies, burnouts, stand up donuts, they would pull over to the shoulder (again, at highway speed) and gun the bike to do some fishtailing. I never felt like such a hack rider - it was awesome!!
Those guys loved their jobs and were really passionate about KTM bikes. Too cool.

Here's a shot of some 950s about to be born:

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Flounder said:
Oh geeze. She looks right at home there, huh? I've seen that look before when my wife sat in my $3500 kayak. It took about a month before we had a second $3500 kayak.

yer in beeeeeg trouble.

Yep. One month after Gretchen "tried out" my XR, she had her very own CRF230 with a BD kit. :roost: :roost:

Better start saving!

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Ok... Here is the 950 love-

KTM_950_3.jpg

Scott,

Congrads on the new bike!!

Looks like someone could use a bigger driveway and shop:)....Knowing you...I'm sure it is in the works!!

;)

Octamog

Observer
expeditionswest said:
Hey, how cool is that! Congrats to you too.

Great minds must think alike, huh? :bike_rider:

Great minds might think alike... but some just work faster! ;)

Here is my first 950 which took me 8000+ miles around Mexico, including Baja and Copper Canyon.

16018483_xc7Lr-M.jpg

15723764_Vxd2b-M.jpg

Which was replaced by my second:

116343124_cnZ9H-M.jpg

which immediately received a suspension/brake/wheel swap!

134448916_wjRZR-M.jpg

nickatnite

Observer
expeditionswest said:
Yes, I grabbed the image off of ADV Rider as a fine example.

So... I rode the 950, and I must say that it is perfect for me. It felt no bigger than the BMW 650 and it was so smooth with the twin, even with gnarly Continentals on it. I drove through some moderate dirt challenges and over curbs, around poles and in some soft dirt. It actually has too much power for my needs, at least on the trail. On the street, the power was juuuuuust right ;)

It needs a lower sprocket gear, probably a 16t, and I could even install a 45t in the rear to bring the whole gearing down by 20%. For the weight of the bike, it needs a slower first, though the AWESOME suspension made up for it, and I felt I could ride it within 15-20% of the 650Ls I have ridden.

Overall, it was instant love. Kind of like the Discover I... Hopefully this 950 will buck the reliability trend like the Disco has.

I put a deposit on the 950, but just got a call to fly to Denver for a meeting, and hope to take a look at a nice 2003 KTM640 Adventure with 13k on it and some nice farkle (and jacket and helmet).

Either way, by Tuesday, I will have a moto...

If you get time, you can read more about Pyn's bike HERE

It's really amazing from what he brought the bike from and to...

Such as this:

77339002-S.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles