Help Scotty decide on an Expedition Moto...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
...you can get used to the color :wings:

I wasn't sure what you were talking about until I followed one of Coloradocarlile's links. Wow, that thing is RED ... and fugly. Cool bike though, wish I knew how to ride.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Scott

Glad to see you are heading over to the "2 wheel" side! :D

I have recently researched most of the mentioned bikes and ended up with a XR650L for a # of reasons which i will list (later on)

Here is my .02 on the bikes:

BMW 650 Dakar- Reliability is sketchy based on my research, great road performance, looks great and can haul two if required.

******* Correct, i have read that as well. I am on a San Diego dual sporting forum and the guys are mentioning some maintence problems (too frequent). Reliability in remote places was key for me in my decision, if you break down in Mexico for example during a baja race or pre run, chances are, most folks wont have spare 650 Dakar Parts in their box! However, personally, i think the Dakar 650 is the best LOOKING bike of the bunch by a long shot! :D Some guys i ride with ride these and i will be testing one this weekend! I will give ya the skinny when i am done!

Honda XR650L- Great reliability and great in the dirt. Big road compromise though. A top contender at this time.

******* Correct again. The bike is bulletproof! It has been the same design since the early XR600 and hasnt had changed, simply because it hasnt needed to! :D The 650L model features an electric start which is always nice (more reasons listed below).

Suzuki DRZ400S- Good reliability and price. Limited freeway use.

******* VERY limited freeway use! My buddy bought his DRZ400S at the same time i bought my XR650L. The DRZ is a VERY nice bike on the trails, but its only a 400, and it shows once we get on the highway or anything over 60mph. The 650L handles it with ease and the 400 is not too happy to be over 65mph! Kinda like my 80 :D But, The DRZ400S has TONS of aftermarket support and is available with an add on kick starter in case the electric one fails (pretty nice option in remote areas). I am pretty sure the DRZ is the only bike that has both starting options!

Suzuki DR650SE- Good reliability and price. 10.2" of travel

****** VERY nice option! My coworker spent 3 months in OZ on one and the only thing that failed was tires! :ylsmoke: Also, the DR650 has many aftermarket items available for expedition type travel, more then most models!

Kawasaki KLR650- Reliability not known, 9" of travel, 6.1 gallon tank! Very high rankings and owner opinion.

****** Great bikes! My riding partner has one with 9k on it and it runs like new, never given him a problem and is very capable both on and off the road!

All the KTM enduro bikes are too big.

******* and very overpriced for a glorified Honda!

Why i chose my XR650L and its pros and cons:

Reasons i went with the XR650L over the other bikes
-Reliability
-Air Cooled Simplicity (no radiators or coolant to worry about)
-Baja Proven
-Aftermarket Support
-Remote Parts Resources (xr parts are always plentiful down south and even more so during races)
-Price, much more "Bang for the Buck" compared to others
-Factory Warranty! :D
-Got a great deal on a brand new leftover 06
-Most Dirt Oriented D/S currently on the market

PROS
-Power whenever you need it 650cc torque monster motor
-Very nimble for its size and weight (also a con when you are getting blown around on the freeway)
-Heavy Duty suspension easily adjustable for larger riders
-Very Simple Design and easy to work on
-Parts interchangeable with bikes as early as 89 or so
-Most Dirt Oriented D/S currently on the market
-Its a Honda! :D
-And of course, 3rd gear power wheelies!

CONS
-Cramped Cockpit for taller riders from the factory (new bars made a night and day difference)
-Silly amounts of smog equipment on CA models (easily removed)
-Does great on the freeway powerwise, but needs a steering stabilizer over 70mph (i will be adding one soon!)
-Not much aftermarket support for expedition type racks/gear (the KLR650 and the DR650 have the XR650L beat in the category for SURE!)
-Weak subframe for adding heavier luggage and such (several folks have cracked them and fabbed their own)
-Stock seat is HORRENDOUS for longer rides! (the plus side is Corbin makes one!) :D
-Very tall standover height (problem for shorter riders!) fits me fine! :D

Thats all i can think of now.

I am totally digging my bike and now with my new schedule I am able to ride every weekend! Met up with a great group of So Cal dual sporters and we are having a blast.

Scott, i can easily provide you with a XR650L, a DRZ400S, and a KLR650 for test rides if you need an excuse to come to SD!

My bike has already seen some extensive mods and I will be doing a very detailed build up on it and posting it here!

Ride On!
ride.gif

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the detailed reply Kevin :)

I will be buying something right after the Arctic trip. My heart wants the BMW, My brain wants the KLR and my go fast switch wants the 650L....

Who will win out?

Looking forward to watching your 650L build.

Skillet

Adventurer
Don't know about the other bikes but I have a 1996 XR600, not the L, the R so I have to kick it.

It has a Baja kit on it and has been jetted out to run good on low quality fuel (Baja).

I have taken the bike to many places and it has tumbled end over end down many a steep mountain with little to no damage other than a cracked light or tweaked handlebar which popped right back into place.

It has been on a 1600 mile round trip through Baja with no support and not so much as a flat tire.

If it dissapeared today, I would not even research another bike, I would buy another Honda.

Kevin's writeup is great.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Scott,

I would like to see you build the XR650... get black plastics and black rims... Im getting ready for Baja also.

:rockon:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
FourByLand said:
Scott,

I would like to see you build the XR650... get black plastics and black rims... Im getting ready for Baja also.

:rockon:

Nice Taste!

I will be getting another set of Black Excel "Knobbie" wheels that will have a set of knobs on them for rough dirt use, then i will keep the stock wheels and tires for more "civil" riding! :D

Also, the L model doesnt have much in the form of black plastics, i already looked! :(

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
C'mon...just how rough a road do you want to go down...get the BMW. If it's too heavy...do more squats at the gym...:p

109067800-M.jpg

109067808-M.jpg

On a big bike...you never know who you'll meet in the middle of nowhere!

109067802-M.jpg

-H-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
We all know he is lusting after the BMW. I guess I should ride mine up there so he can take a test ride and seal the deal.....;)

Clutch

<---Pass
I just got back from Baja, you really don't need a big 650, remember the bigger, heavier the bike, the quicker it will wear you out. There were guys on Honda CRF 250Fs keeping up with the big boys. In 2003, I rode a Honda CRF 450 from Tecate to San Felipe and back in two days. 500+ miles, a light weight bike is good. With all of the of extra gear, adds weight quick.

Husaberg does make a 'light' 650. I have ridden one, very small bike; sized like a CR 125, BUT, the power of a 650! http://www.husaberg.se/ it is where KTM got their technology. A holding company owns both companies.

KTM 400-525 very good choice (6 speed, 100mph+) and they do make a 640, which in the near future will be totally redone to a 690.

But...for a ultra reliable 'Baja' bike would be the XR 400, not very high tech, but, damn near bullet proof and low maintenance compared to a modern high reving four stroke.

It comes down to where will you be riding the most. Dirt or Pavement....dirt; go light weight, tarmac;...go heavy...Do you really want to ride a 350 pound plus bike through 20 miles of 4 foot deep sand whoops?

You can get 91 octane in Baja

Here is a dirt bike forum I belong to. http://www.arizonatrailtalk.com/main.html Good DS thread in there.

This is the Super Moto version of the new KTM 690, I would assume the DS version with a different routed exhaust and offroad fender/headlight like the 950 Super Enduro would be soon to follow.
061010_ktmb.jpg

KTM-950_super_enduro.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, I just dont think a single bike will work for my needs. I have ridden 150's-650's aggressively off-highway and they all have their place.

I ride narrow single track with a friend on 150's pretty often, and I would NEVER take a 650 through there. Extremely technical, loose and tight.

So, I am probably going to have to buy two bikes. A light, simple Honda for the Baja pre-running and a nice DS for my adventure plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94