f800gs vs 1200gs adventure

vr46go

Do you mean in the twisties or on the highway?

I love the X-Challenge but I'm not aware of any thumper that can comfortably keep up with the big twins on long stretches of highway. Different tools for different jobs. Of course, anything rougher than a well maintained Forest Service trail and I'd happily trade a KTM950 or 1200GS for the X-Challenge.

Well, both. I didn't say anything about "comfortable" ;)

Seriously though, it does a surprisingly good job cruising at 70 - 75mph down the highway. I came from an F650GS (same motor) and before I bought that bike that was my major concern. The X does have more issues with wind blast from big trucks but I've gotten used to it.

Two up though, while it has been done, probably isn't that comfortable though. I'm sure the 800GS would be much better at that.

As far as the 800GS being better off road than the 1200GS, I think the 800GS having a 21-inch front wheel is a big help especially in the rougher stuff (ruts and such). Both are heavy and both require some good skills to ride serious off-road.

traveltoad

Aaron S
The 1200GSA is an Adventure Touring bike, while the 950 / 990 is an Adventure Dirt bike.

And this is exactly why I asked about the OPs riding bias.

I can tell you that my R1150GSAdv went many many places that only a true dirt bike should have been. And I have spoken to people who have toured extensively 2up on the 950Adv. Both bikes can be pushed into the other's territory. But you will not have as much fun on the bike when you do so.

I loved my R1150GSAdv. Loved it. But what I found over time is that I was spending more and more time on dirt. I was spending more and more time getting through but having to work very hard to get through and thus not having as much fun. Enter... KTM 950 Super Enduro.

If you like to ride this... get the KTM:
24685594_Qg38N-M.jpg

24685346_F7vxx-M.jpg

547178451_GzqRy-M.jpg

541065848_8pQqg-M.jpg

If you like to ride this... get the BMW:
25349556_oyif7-M.jpg

24714651_jkwou-M.jpg

539963205_xrW82-M-2.jpg

Last edited:

vr46go

traveltoad said:
Enter... KTM 950 Super Enduro.

I always thought those cool bikes but I never met anyone who owned one (the dealer doesn't count). What kind of range do you get on them? Great pics by the way.

(sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything)

traveltoad

Aaron S
I always thought those cool bikes but I never met anyone who owned one (the dealer doesn't count). What kind of range do you get on them? Great pics by the way.

(sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread or anything)

The stock tank alone is worthless (IMO). I got rid of mine very quickly but I know people who went onto reserve at around 60mi of hard riding.

The Safari tank holds 7.9 gal and is good. I have gone as far as 270mi inbetween fill ups and as little as 170 mi to reserve. In planning I usually count on 200 miles.

There are also a couple side tanks available either to supplement either tank if you go to a 2-into-1 pipe.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
At this point I'm looking at keeping my 12GSA as I own it outright, outfitting it for more two up style riding (or extreme long distance riding) with some type of aftermarket saddle, and getting a GS800, put nobbies on it and a few protection items for the single tracks and dirt roads around here.

I agree the KTM is a great dirt bike style, but I've had one and sold it. The Superenduro is really cool, and super fast, but I like the BMW better for my "style," and truth be told, I just like the BMW line - expensive, yes, but I think they've made pretty outstanding bikes for a long time.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I like the picture, but I like these a little better. It also looks pretty good beside the GS Adv...:bike_rider:

Attachments

• 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 013a.jpg
    013a.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 373

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I like the picture, but I like these a little better. It also looks pretty good beside the GS Adv...:bike_rider:

They look good no matter what they are beside. :victory:

Hey Scott, amusing picture, but I'm about 99% sure it is a photoshop. ;)

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Hey Scott, amusing picture, but I'm about 99% sure it is a photoshop. ;)

That would be a tough photoshop...

The shadows and reflections would mean that the two images were shot as separate plates from a locked camera. But the motion blur on the background reveals that it was from a panning camera.

haven

Expedition Leader
I think large adventure travel motorcycles are overkill. Lois Pryce rode from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, and from London to Cape Town on a 250 cc bike, carrying her camping gear. That's not to say larger machines aren't fun to ride, and aren't better at high speed highway cruising. But for rough road/dirt road/simple road riding, the power and weight of the big bikes are unnecessary.

Chip Haven

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
That would be a tough photoshop...

The shadows and reflections would mean that the two images were shot as separate plates from a locked camera. But the motion blur on the background reveals that it was from a panning camera.

I'm certainly no pro, but there are a number of things wrong with that image.

The shadow of the KTM is to dark, and the shape isn't right (particularly the front wheel).

The colors on the GS are a bit washed out, relative to the KTM. Particularly the black areas (like the tires)

The scale of the KTM is off. Look at the front tire of the GS (21"), relative to the rear tire of the KTM (18"). Compare the wheel base of each....the KTM, as depicted, is way to long.

The KTM either has a serious gait, or both of those riders are about to meet the pavement...the KTM, as shown, is heading across the line that the GS is on.

And to you really expect anyone to believe that a GS rider (even those who never take their bikes on a dirt road) would be looking down the road as someone on a loud-a$$ed KTM rode a wheelie past them? Heck no! They would be either looking up thinking "DAMN!!! I gotta get me one of those!", or they would be looking up thinking "DAMN!!! I just peed my pants!" Either way, they wouldn't be looking down the road....

Still....funny pic. Just not real.

:sombrero:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I think large adventure travel motorcycles are overkill. Lois Pryce rode from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, and from London to Cape Town on a 250 cc bike, carrying her camping gear. That's not to say larger machines aren't fun to ride, and aren't better at high speed highway cruising. But for rough road/dirt road/simple road riding, the power and weight of the big bikes are unnecessary.

Chip Haven

If all you were riding was back roads where you can safely travel at 55 - 60mph...yea, the little bikes will get you there. Eventually.

Nice thing about the big bikes is that you can ride them thousands of miles down the freeway to get to the area you are exploring, explore for a few days, weeks, whatever, then blow down the freeway for a day or two to get home.

Of course, we all know that the real answer is to have about 1/2 dozen bikes to properly cover all the bases....:coffeedrink:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I'm certainly no pro, but there are a number of things wrong with that image.

The shadow of the KTM is to dark, and the shape isn't right (particularly the front wheel).

The BMW shadow is lighter from the reflection of the KTM. You can even see a sun flair on the ground from the reflection off the KTM spokes. Hard to judge the shap of a shadow when it's both late in the day and the whole shadow can't be seen.

The colors on the GS are a bit washed out, relative to the KTM. Particularly the black areas (like the tires)
The colors on the BMW seem washed out or over exposed because they are substantially lighter than the KTM. The black parts of the KTM that seem darker are in the BMW's shadow.

The scale of the KTM is off. Look at the front tire of the GS (21"), relative to the rear tire of the KTM (18"). Compare the wheel base of each....the KTM, as depicted, is way to long.

3649281931_42fd6c5683_o.jpg

Same length red lines and same size circles. The tire may appear bigger because the KTM is turned out or away from the camera, while the BMW is turned slightly into the camera.

The KTM either has a serious gait, or both of those riders are about to meet the pavement...the KTM, as shown, is heading across the line that the GS is on.
I would have to disagree based on the angle of the headlights, the KTM body is clearly turned out while its wheel is turned in.

And to you really expect anyone to believe that a GS rider (even those who never take their bikes on a dirt road) would be looking down the road as someone on a loud-a$$ed KTM rode a wheelie past them? Heck no! They would be either looking up thinking "DAMN!!! I gotta get me one of those!", or they would be looking up thinking "DAMN!!! I just peed my pants!" Either way, they wouldn't be looking down the road....

Again based on the plane of the goggles relative to the plane of the GS headlights it could be said that the rider is in fact looking at the KTM. I would further venture to say that this is quite the staged shot, and the BMW rider was not surprised in the least.

It could very well be a fake, but I won't believe it until I see the two separate images.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
KTM - BMW road test

Buried on my hard drive is a scan from Bike comparing the KTM 990 Adventure to the BMW Adventure, plus the 1200 GS and the corresponding KTM model. PM me if you're interested and I'll send it along. But it may take a couple of weeks as I'm headed for Cape Breton Wednesday.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles