f800gs vs 1200gs adventure

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have a 1200gs adventure. Its a great bike, but big. I had a KTM 990 and it was GREAT off road, but I opted to sell it and used the money for other things. I just had a chance to ride the f800gs yesterday, and I liked the size and nimbleness of the bike.

I've noticed over the last few years a trend to smaller machines for travel. Overland Journal seems to be stuck on the KTM 950. The CEO of Touratech, Herbert Schwarz (sp.) usually had a 1100 - 1200gs, but recently he had the 800gs for a 5000Km trip in Africa, and a KTM 950 Super Enduro for a trip in Italy. Helge Pederson went from the 1150GSA to a 1200 HP2 (a really stripped down verson of the Adventure), his trip to Iceland was done on a 650GS, and he seemed to like the 800GS in the latest instructional video.

I've really considered downsizing. One of the main things I've noticed is I seem to pass up some of those single tracks and even some double tracks because I'm a little concerned about going down with the big bike. I'm comfortable with off road travel as I have a background in off-road riding.

Just looking for everyone's thoughts on the matter. Experiences.

Don't suggest looking at ADVrider because I tried a thread and the first response was the 800GS was not a "true" GS and I should have my mouth washed out with soap for even mentioning it.

Anyway thoughts....

traveltoad

Aaron S
For me... the first question you need to answer foryourself is what will your riding bias be? Are you looking for more road with a little dirt or you are willing to suffer on the road to get to the dirt? Somewhere in between?

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
As far as road goes, I like the 2 lane backroads, not much for the freeway scene, but I can say the 800gs performed very well at freeway speeds. I've grown weary of fighting the traffic on most of the roads.

I had a used 1150RT at one time and I'm sorry I ever let it go. My wife confided to me that she doesn't mind riding on the Adventure, but she misses the feeling of the RT. While I'm still in shock, there is a possibility of finding a used RT in the next few years to augment the 800. She actually sat on the 800 with me and said it was okay for short trips. Again, promising. I could set up the 800 mostly as a single rider for now with the thought of the actual touring two-up would be on the RT.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i think the initial shock and awe of a BIG bike off road is very appealing for the cool factor and perceived comfort. and they are pretty capable but you just have to slow down too much too often when encountering some technical stuff, i think, just like many things in life the newness wears off and some folks come back down from the clouds realizing just how fun smaller and simply can be.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Here is my somewhat biased opinion.

The 800GS is a great "adventure bike". It is not a dirt bike. At all.

It is a pig at close to 500 pounds once you get your gear on it.

But it is a well balanced pig, with enough power to bring an involuntary grin to your face as the back end steps out and you drift through the corners at 50mph (yea, been there...:bike_rider:).

The weight is pretty low on it, so it really isn't that bad to pick up. No worse than my 650GS...but it doesn't nap nearly as often as the 650 did either.

The suspension isn't the best if you are getting crazy with it. Sure, it has 8.5" of travel, but you gotta remember that you are trying to damp a 500 pound load....it takes a LOT of suspension to do that. So, yea...the suspension needs some work if you are going to push it. Then again, so do the 950 Adventures. But in all honesty, if you are cruising the back roads, even if you're getting a bit aggressive, the suspension really isn't that bad. You just gotta remember that it's a 500 pound bike...

IMO, BMW hit a home run with this one. The ball may not have gotton out of the park....but it's still a home run.

Really. Great. Bike.

Heavy enough to hold it's own on the freeway, light and nimble enough to hold it's own in the dirt. I wouldn't hesitate to ride mine to eastern TN and ride the TAT all the way to the coast. All the bike needs is the standard crash protection, a set of tires, and some soft bags.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
With the thoughts already mentioned. Consider that right now is a great time to purchase a 990 Adventure new many dealers have 2008's available at a steep discount, and KTM is offering a free GPS with touratech mount on some models.

when i considered the F800gs, i came to the conclusion that the KTM was a more serious bike for the riding and payload i will be doing. i really should be on a 1200GSA but feel the same apprehension offroad. so the KTM seemed the best in between fit. and then with the competivie pricing of the KTM, as low as $12k-$12500 on leftover 08's i decided that for me it made more sense than the BMW.

I did buy my wife an 09 F650GS low, which is based on the F800gs motor and its a great bike.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
BMW Motorrad Telelever front suspention and shaft drive makes it a clear choice IMO if intent is 77% street or more. If it wasnt for my love for the dirt I would ride a big BMW for sure. The workout I get from my Dakar off road is plenty and its a 100lbs+ lighter then the big BMW's.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
The KTM line is great. I've got a KTM 450 XC-F that I've been using for pure dirt days, but it just isn't my riding style anymore, and, although I can get a larger stator & light, it's not something that should be ridden on the road. I really think the stock set-up of the 800GS really fits the bill.

I was at the BMW 49'er Rally in Auburn a few weeks ago, and I came across a display of a 800GS and a cross country off-road ride a group of riders had put together. I noticed the 800 was not overloaded with useless "add ons," and the thought of being able to tie together single tracks, double tracks, and a little taramac, really seems to be the best way to go.

Attached is a photo from the rally (courtesy of bmwnorcal)

Attachments

• 800GS Cross Country.jpg
    800GS Cross Country.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 309

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I want one too. I don't want to get rid of my old 1150GS but I see the 800 as a nice, lighter adventure-touring bike with the ability to really ‘rip’ on the paved back roads better than the 1150 :)

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I sat on the 800 with my wife, and it didn't seem "overloaded." She said it was close to the 1200 as far as feel, but she did mention the seat sucked...

It comes down to what do you give up when the 1200 goes away. Larger tank = longer distances between fuel is not an issue. Shaft drive = less maintenance than a chain system, but with the added issue of final drive failure. More room for "stuff". We all know this is important, but most of the time I come back with about have of the "essentials" unused. The boxer engine. I think this is one of the most important. This is a time tested design. Not just BMW, but very close to the VW engine. Low maintenance and easy (relatively) to work on. I guess I can find several more, but I'm interested in additional thoughts.

Scott Brady

Founder
I love the 1200GSA. If I owned a BMW, it would be the only model I would consider. The refinement and execution of that bike is superb, and the highway miles just melt away. It will also go two-up around the world and on some pretty serious tracks with a good rider. Doug Hackney rode his across the Continental Divide.

Think of it this way. The 1200GSA is an Adventure Touring bike, while the 950 / 990 is an Adventure Dirt bike. I do not even consider them in the same class of motorcycle, as they are SO completely different.

I really love the F800GS, and enjoyed the ride I had on one, but I just do not see the F800GS having a major advantage on the dirt over the 1200GSA. Sure, it will be lighter and a little more nimble, but I think you would be disappointed if that is your expectation.

The KTM 990 will be a major advantage in the dirt over the 1200GSA, but after one hour two-up, your wife will be disappointed ;)

It is all a compromise at the end of the day. For a trail biased bike, I really like what Aaron has done with his 950SE. A 690SE could also be modified in that manner with great results, and both will rock on the trail. I am admittedly biased towards KTM... ;)

For me, I am just a few months away from a new KTM 990R Adventure.
feel the love!
409968869_hnQGG-L.jpg

vr46go

I have a G650X-Challenge that I use for everything - from hare scramble trails to long distance touring. The engine is great, it handles pretty damn good off-road and the price is definitely right. There are still new ones out there for under $7K w/ABS. Even after you throw on the TT tank and a new seat (some like it, I don't) you are way under the cost of most bikes. Heck, you could probably do a complete TT conversion (tank, fairing, panniers) and still be under the cost of an F800GS.

I ride with 1200GS's and have no problem keeping up on the pavement. The fuel range and seat are it's biggest drawbacks but can be fixed. Just thought I would throw that out there.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I ride with 1200GS's and have no problem keeping up on the pavement.
Do you mean in the twisties or on the highway?

I love the X-Challenge but I'm not aware of any thumper that can comfortably keep up with the big twins on long stretches of highway. Different tools for different jobs. Of course, anything rougher than a well maintained Forest Service trail and I'd happily trade a KTM950 or 1200GS for the X-Challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior