f800gs vs 1200gs adventure

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Modification Pics of F800GS

Well, I began outfitting my 800GS.

I had a Touratech GPS mount for my Garmin 60C from my Adv that I wasn't using so I put on the cross bar which mounts to the upper triple clamp/bar clamp area. I hardwired a line for the GPS to the battery for the longer rides, but I still have the batteries if I need it when I park the bike.

I went with a large bash plate on the bottom, and I also went with the barkbuster handguards. I replaced the stock shield with Touratech shield which is a little higher and wider, but it is still small enough for off-road use and uses the stock attachment locations.

I just got the Jesse bags and installed them last night - about 1 1/2 hours which included installation of the frames and the attachments on the bags themselves. Attached are a couple photos.

Attachments

• Jesse Bags 001a.jpg
    Jesse Bags 001a.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 374
  • Jesse Bags 003a.jpg
    Jesse Bags 003a.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 315

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Wow, the bike looks great. I see you purchased from Sierra BMW and you list Nevada...where in Nevada?

Jack

Last edited:

Willman

^^^Ditto^^

That is one killer bike.....Congrats!

Let me know if you need help getting her dirty! :)

Another great thread guys....back to.....:drool:

Last edited:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
attachment.php

wolfmoritz

I was thinking about upgrading from my 2006 F650GS to a new-ish 800GS and found this post. Great looking bike, Cobblecrazy. However, the other toys caught my eye, including a beautiful kayak, a nice 700c road bike, and a Bike Friday. I used to weld those Bike Friday's here in Eugene (at least the ones that have nice welds, if I may say so). That garage looks like mine with a similar assortment of toys and the bike posters :).

So, still happy with the 800GS? Any downsides? I really like my F650GS thumper, but the 800GS really intrigues me. I've read that it can hot to ride, true?

- Wolf

Scott Brady

Founder
I did some trail work on an F800 a few days ago, and really enjoyed the bike. Brian had done a nice job of improving the suspension. My first ride on a stock F800 left me unimpressed (bleh actually), but the modified bike was nice, with good damping, making full use of the reduced overall travel compared to my KTM. The motor is really quite nice and the shorter stand-over height made the bike feel much more comfortable (the 950 feels like it is just waiting to kill me on every ride). I was actually very impressed with Brian's modifications and overall tuning. It felt 20% faster than the stocker through the rough stuff.

In my very seat of the pants perspective, the F800 is twice the bike the F650 is , and the modified bike (Brian's) is twice the bike of the stock F800. However, I still think the only BMW I would buy is the 1200 GSA.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I was thinking about upgrading from my 2006 F650GS to a new-ish 800GS and found this post. Great looking bike, Cobblecrazy. However, the other toys caught my eye, including a beautiful kayak, a nice 700c road bike, and a Bike Friday. I used to weld those Bike Friday's here in Eugene (at least the ones that have nice welds, if I may say so). That garage looks like mine with a similar assortment of toys and the bike posters :).

So, still happy with the 800GS? Any downsides? I really like my F650GS thumper, but the 800GS really intrigues me. I've read that it can hot to ride, true?

- Wolf

I sold a well equipped 2007 F650GS (07 was the last of the single cylinders for the '650GS) and bought a 2009 800GS.

These are two very different bikes. The 800GS is a much faster bike (50% more ground clearance, 50% more suspension travel, 50% more power), and really isn't happy at low speeds (tall, heavy, likes to fall over). It is a lot of fun to ride, but as Scott mentioned, the OEM suspension is a bit mushy. It needs a spring upgrade at both ends. Race Tech has both sorted out (see Scott's post, right above this one).

The 650GS is happier at slower speeds, and is a much more forgiving, and much more relaxing of a ride -- until you put in on the freeway. Once you are at 80 - 90mph, it just doesn't have much left. The 800GS still has plenty left at that speed.

The 800GS is great for burning off some energy, tearin' it up with the boys, and is generally a bit more high strung. Definitely a type 'A' personality. The 650GS is better for the mellow, relaxed rides where you are just out exploring. It is a bit more of a tractor -- you can really lug the engine down and crawl over steps and rocks that the 800GS needs a bit of momentum, and a lot more clutch work.

So, really, it all depends on what you are looking for in a bike.

Neither one is a dirt bike, neither one is perfect.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Looks like a Valley boat.

Could be a Pintail with a keyhole cockpit, but with your penchant for expedition I'd say it's a Nordkapp. And I don't remember the Pintail coming with the oval hatch in front unless that is a newer option. (Edit: Of course not; the Pintail bow is too low volume to be able to accept the oval hatch)

Have you seen the article about prepping the f800gs for dirt? Ooooh.:roost:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_1005_2000_streetbike_surgery_bmw_f800gs/index.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior