Gen I, II, III what are differences?

Mmagus

Observer
Hi all,

I am shopping for a Montero and have a few in my sights. Being new to this particular vehicle I am wondering, in a basic side by side, what the differences are by Gen? Where do the years break for each Gen? Is there a "sweet" year/model where all the best of the Gens seemed to align?

I may be incorrect, but it seems that Gen I had a body on frame build.

Gen II (years 95-2000 at least) had the possibility of a rear locking dif.

Beyond that I am completly in the dark and would love some enlightenment.

I am calling on a 95 with 125k miles on it today. (If its the SR it should have lockers...yes?)

Anyhow all the help you could lend would be greatly apreciated.

M

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Gen I's run from the '80's to '91. LWB models only from '89 to '91. Body on frame, IFS, solid rear axle.

Gen II's run from '92 to '97. '94-'96 SR models came with a rear air locker. Body on frame, IFS, solid rear axle.

Gen II.5's run from '98-'00. Some models equipped with the cold weather package will have the rear locker. Body on frame, IFS, solid rear axle.

Gen III's run from '01 to '06. Limited models got a standard LSD in the rear. XLS models with the sunroof got the LSD also. The XLS models got the better 4.9:1 gears. 4 wheel independant suspension and unibody construction.

I hope this helps some. I may not be 100% correct on this information as I am new to the Montero myself. I'm sure one of the Monty experts will chime in soon. I do have to say though, I love my Gen III. It is no rock crawler, but then again I don't need it to be. It is very comfortable and drives very nicely, and the LSD so far has worked everytime I have needed it.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Gen III's run from '01 to '06. Limited models got a standard LSD in the rear. XLS models with the sunroof got the LSD also. The XLS models got the better 4.9:1 gears. 4 wheel independant suspension and unibody construction.

I believe that the only XLS year models that have the 4.9:1 gears are the '01 and '02. The reason was that these models also came with the 4-speed transmission. The limited models have the 5-speed transmission and the 4.3:1 ring and pinion. I believe that starting in '03, that all monteros had the 5-speed transmission and 4.3:1 gears.

Last edited:

Mmagus

Observer
Thanks again for the info folks. I bought a Gen 1 yesterday! :wings: Spent the morning giveing it a good interior scrubbing (the previous owner smoked and enjoyed taking his dog with him on drives) I will post a new thread of it before too long.

See you on the trail!

M

Mmagus

Observer
Sounds good! I've built up 3 gen I's now so let me know if you have any questions...

I am taking it to get the front end alligned tomarrow as it pulls a little to the right and more so under breaking. (The breaks are recently done so I am guessing its not them) Beyond that the next step is to get a hitch unit. (which I reaaaaallly need) Though at the prices I am finding I think I may be able to buy mats for a full bumper and have my brother weld it for less $$.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I am taking it to get the front end alligned tomarrow as it pulls a little to the right and more so under breaking. (The breaks are recently done so I am guessing its not them) Beyond that the next step is to get a hitch unit. (which I reaaaaallly need) Though at the prices I am finding I think I may be able to buy mats for a full bumper and have my brother weld it for less $$.

Yup, if it's pulling to the right, just be sure it's not the crown of the road pulling you that way.

Also, for the hitch, there are some built by various companies. What class (1, 2, 3?) hitch do you require?

I had just a 'mini-hitch' made. It's simply a 7-8" section of 2x2 .220 wall square tube (hitch steel) that was welded & reinforced to a piece of 3/4" plate. The whole unit is bolted to the 4 holes in the bumper using grade 10.5 metric screws. IIRC 3 of the holes are 12x1.5 metric threaded holes & the 4th is a straight through hole. I used 4 Allen head bolts and 1 nut (for the non-threaded hole). I couldn't use std hex head bolts because there wasn't enough room to tighten them using a socket set.

I can put up pics of it if you want to try and have it made locally. I wouldn't classify it beyond a Class I hitch however. I mounted it there to discourage tailgating and for a solid snatch point off road.

Also there is no wiring kit from what I could find but I didn't spend a ton of time looking either so maybe you'll find something with more effort.

Last edited:

Mmagus

Observer
Since the Monty has a towing cap of...4031lbs. That Class 2 I believe. Though a lighter one for hauling my small trailer around would be nice as well. I think I am going to try to find one used until I can have a bumper fabbed and tie the whole thing right to the frame.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Since the Monty has a towing cap of...4031lbs. That Class 2 I believe. Though a lighter one for hauling my small trailer around would be nice as well. I think I am going to try to find one used until I can have a bumper fabbed and tie the whole thing right to the frame.

That depends on if it's a 3.0 or a 2.6 engine doesn't it?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ah...yep it does. I just grabbed the specs off the net. :drool: I have the 3.0 in mine:sombrero:

Also realize that some of the class I/II hitches have smaller dia square tube (1" IIRC) instead of the normal 2" square tube. It's a key reason to get a Class III/IV hitch but Mmagnus is right... you still need to pay attention to the max towing & gross vehicle weight limits.

speaking of limits... somewhere around here I've got a couple...

1) video of a gen I v6 2 door w/ 5.29 gears, front and rear lockers on 35's towing a ford F350 crew cab (still running but w/ a blown turbo) & it's 5th wheel trailer on the trail uphill:Wow1::Wow1:

Same guy regularly pulls all sorts of things out of muddy slick construction sites with it.

2) pic of a buddies gen II SR towing a SEMI (yes, a semi w/ trailer) on snow in the Sierras! I wouldn't have believed it myself if it wasn't witnessed by other friends!:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

But yeah, those are definitely exceptions. To be safe follow the recommended limits of your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz