"Accessory Rail" Above the Dashboard

JeepinBear

Explorer
Anyone who owns a Jeep knows they are not known for loads of interior or dash space for mounting accessories such as GPS's, etc.

I have been wanting a place to mount my GPS's to so I could get rid of the window suction mounts that routinely fall off, especially during offroad driving.

I also knew I didn't want to drill into the dash or use some kind of adhesive. I thought the best solution would be something that is configurable, could be interchanged easily for different options, and was simple yet elegant and robust.

I may have seen it before somehwere (i really don't know) but I had an idea of a rail running along my dash to wich I could mount RAM MOUNTS that could hold a wide array of accessories.

I visited Steve at CBI Offroad Fab in Idaho Falls. Together, we came up with what I feel is an awesome addition to any Jeep. Steve fabricated an accessory rail for my 2006 Jeep LJ. I have attached some pics below for your review. A full suite of pics can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Patrick.Behrendt/20090611AccessoryRailInstallation?feat=directlink

Here is how Steve mounted them. He used existing holes for the dashboard mounting and countersunk the screws so the end result was no thicker than the original screw. He also took a dimple die to the sides for weight reduction and some style.
DSC01128.JPG

The bar (1" tubing) runs across the dash and sits just behind the raised portion, and just in front of the seam along the dash for the thin piece that includes the defrost vent.
DSC01129.JPG

DSC01134.JPG

The bar attaches to the other side in the same fashion. Here you can see the clearance with the passenger side door. Although you can't tell in the pic, it does not touch the door at all.
DSC01142.JPG

I used RAM-Mount PN: RAM-B-231ZU as a base for each accessory.
DSC01144.JPG

Ram makes products to fit MANY models of phones, GPS's, and more. I decided to mount my Garmin Rino 530, Garmin nuvi 660, and a S&W AirLite 357 Mag.
DSC01148.JPG

DSC01158.JPG

DSC01162.JPG

All are within very easy reach of the driver. The nuvi is within easy reach of the passenger. The entire system does NOT interfere with any OEM equipment, airbag operation, or airflow. It also preserves the use of the tray on the dash. (I may use the tray area for light switches in the future).
DSC01173.JPG

Future modifications include:
  • Concealed carry holsters are useless in a vehicle as they are a bit cumbersome to utilize. They also tend to dig into my hip when I am driving and can interfere with seatbelts. The BLACKHAWK SERPA holster mount for the S&W will utilize a male quick disconnect feature that allows me to mount the holster to a female on the RAM mount or my belt. It's a pretty slick system.
  • RAM makes a camera holder that I will mount to the passenger side when offroading. As the RAMS are quickly interchangeable, I will buy a cradle for my wife'e craskberry for use when her and I are driving around town.
Overall, I am VERY happy with the system so far. It looks OEM, is black powder coated, does not vibrate (and most vibration is significantly dampened by RAM mounts anyway), and is very functional and practical.

Hope this gives some of you ideas!

SGNellett

Adventurer
Any plans to reproduce and sell that? It looks like a great idea and I'm sure he could sell tons of them! How much was the whole set up?

JeepinBear

Explorer
Any plans to reproduce and sell that? It looks like a great idea and I'm sure he could sell tons of them! How much was the whole set up?

Feel free to contact Steve Eagan at CBI Offroad Fab in Idaho for pricing.
Phone: (208)528-0664

I know he is interested is selling more.

Zeero

Adventurer
Haha, a firearms holster up there is great, I love it, but around here, if you get pulled over with something like that, you'll have a Police pistol jammed into your face and with some very loud repitive commands to keep your hands up and to exit the Jeep......:victory:

JeepinBear

Explorer
Haha, a firearms holster up there is great, I love it, but around here, if you get pulled over with something like that, you'll have a Police pistol jammed into your face and with some very loud repitive commands to keep your hands up and to exit the Jeep......:victory:

"Is there a problem occifer?" :D

ExpoMike

That is slick! Nice job and idea. Now I need to look at my Cherokee and see if I can do something like that. Space for putting GPS, Spot, Camera, etc. is very tight and the RAM mounts would make an easy way of doing it.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
That is slick! Nice job and idea. Now I need to look at my Cherokee and see if I can do something like that. Space for putting GPS, Spot, Camera, etc. is very tight and the RAM mounts would make an easy way of doing it.

I was just thinking the same thing..:safari-rig:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

when you figure it out, Mike, can you just make me one as well. I see a trend starting here. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94