"Jeep Panda" coming in mid-2011?

haven

Expedition Leader
Consulting firm IHS Global Insight has released its predictions about the first vehicles that will be produced by the Chrysler-Fiat alliance.

Jeep predictions:

-- "Jeep Panda" will be produced in Toluca, Mexico starting mid-2011
The new vehicle will be based on the Fiat Panda Cross:

fiat_panda_cross.jpg

-- Jeep Liberty will be built in Toledo Ohio using the Fiat C-EVO platform starting mid 2012.
The C-EVO platform will be used in a wide range of vehicles, from Fiats to Alfa Romeo, maybe
even the new larger MINI vehicles.

-- Jeep Compass and Patriot will be canceled in 2012.

The report, including Chrysler and Dodge models, is summarized here:
http://www.globalinsight.com/Perspective/PerspectiveDetail17010.htm

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I guess people have short memories; until very recently Chrysler was owned by the German company Daimler Benz who put diesel engines in some American Jeeps. The only complaints I heard about that was they didn't get round to putting them in the Wrangler. I say give Fiat a chance to finish the job!

Cheers,
Graham

wow I love Jeeps, but that thing is ODD. Looks like a Kia (no offense to anyone that has a Kia)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo....

Would now be a good time to start thinking about starting a company that specializes in tough workhorse vehicles with two solid axles and high ground clearance?

haven

Expedition Leader
Everyone, take a deep breath. The Wrangler and Grand Cherokee
will still be manufactured. In fact, Fiat plans to market the Grand,
which was updated for 2010, world-wide as an Alfa Romeo.

Jeeps will continue to be exported to Europe. It's not clear how
much longer the contract with Magna Steyr will last, or if the VM Motori
2.8L diesel will continue to be used in Euro Jeeps. Fiat has a cool
2.4L 5 cylinder variable turbo diesel, but it's designed for transverse
installation in front wheel drive cars.

Chip Haven

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Not the first time... Anybody remember the Renault days?

Ah yes, the good ol' days of disposable transmissions! No need to change the fluid as they were worn out by then anyway!
As for the Daimler days....that didn't last long nor did it give the US anything spectacular as far as diesel availability.

There's something to be said for heritage. Companies like Land Rover, Jeep and even Toyota in North America seem to be loosing sight of their heritage.

Chalk it up to "progress" I guess.
Jason T.

Desert Dan

Explorer
All I can say is Fix It Again Tony

I wonder if it is "Trail Rated"?
I hope they offer it with a Rubicon package.

Maybe I'll hang on to my TJ with the 4.0L

dzzz

The two wranglers make a nice business and I doubt the product will change much. In fact, one of the advantages to making wranglers is that it shouldn't be on the leading edge of fads or technology.
What I find sad is Toyota's loss of design ability in the off road market as demonstrated by the FJ Cruiser. There should be two excellent smaller 4x4 makers, jeep and toyota.
I don't include Land Rover because most new ones never leave the pavement.
But I guess a new jeep owner could mess up the product. Once marketing people start with "keeping the current features while updating aesthetics to attract the less hard core buyer" it's the beginning of the end.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
There should be two excellent smaller 4x4 makers, jeep and toyota.
I don't include Land Rover because most new ones never leave the pavement.

Umm, I would bet the vast majority of Jeeps and Toys don't leave the pavement either, but I agree with your point in general.
I've never understood why Rover says they couldn't sell defenders here considering the success of the wrangler rubicon.
Jason T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior