Land Rover Owner Seeking Help with a Montero Purchase

m3 bavaria

Adventurer
So, as the owner of two LR's, I've grown a bit tired of spending a small fortune each month with my mechanic.

I've decided that the Montero looks like an excellent choice. I'm looking at the latest body style.

Is there anything in particular that I need to look out for, or hard to come by options on particular model years?

Thanks in advance.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am a novice to the Montero's, and I know someone will come in here and correct any mis-information I may give you, and I apologize in advance if I do mis-inform you. I have and '01 XLS with the "XLS Preferred Equipment Package". That means that I have the 4-speed auto (Limiteds get a 5-speed), 4.9:1 gears (Limiteds get 4.3:1) and with the preferred package you get the way cool HUGE sunroof and best of all, a limited slip in the rear diff. At some point, I think '03, the XLS started to get the 5-speed and the 4.3 gears. I would look for the 4.9 gears. That is just me. And, something to look out for, at around 80K the tensioner pulley will go out on you. It is an expensive pulley, but it only takes a few minutes to change it yourself. Other than that, so far no problems with mine. Good luck, and I love my 3rd Gen Montero.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Regarding the differential gearing:

The 4.9s were only available in the XLS, because it had the 4-speed in the '01 and '02 year models. The gear ratios on the 4-speed were different than those found on the 5-speed. So, it was essentially a wash between that combination on the 5-speed transmission and the 4.3:1 diff gears.

So, it's not as simple as to say, "get the 4.9 gears." I don't think there is an advantage with the 4.9 gears if you only have the 4-speed automatic.

If you want to keep the stock tires (31"), then it won't matter; you'll have plenty of power regardless of which model you get.

If you want to go to one of the popular 33" tires, then you might want to regear. I have the 5-speed and I had 4.9s installed. This is a great combination with 33" tires. But, if you already have the 4.9s, then I don't think there's anything taller for you to go to.

I had 33" tires for a year with the stock 4.3:1 gearing and the only issue was the constant shifting out of 5th gear on hill climbs. That was acceptable to me until I started towing. Then, the regear was critical.

Gears are not as commonly found. You can't just call up Randy's Ring and Pinion and get a gear install kit. Maybe someone else knows where you can source these down under or somewhere; I just could never find them.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the insight, Tony. I don't have the experience you do and your insight is very helpful. As far as a Montero v. a Land Rover, it's hard to say. You sit up high like in a Land Rover, it is underpowered like a Land Rover, and it rides, drives, and handles very nicely. It is smooth on the highway and it is hard to guage your speed. I find it easy to speed in the Monty. There is a lot of room inside and I find the seats comfortable. Other than the cup holders, I really don't have any gripes about it. Check out my build thread for my initial impressions on the Montero.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
m3bavaria,

Let me preface this by saying I don't own a Gen III but I've been involved in the Mitsu off road community for years I'll answer your question based on my experience so far... and "I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night".:sombrero:

For options... it depends on what you're looking for and where you're located.

If you're in the states, ALL montero's are old because Mitsubishi stopped importing them a few years ago. IIRC, the US current body style is already a generation older than the most current body style overseas.

As for options, there are plenty depending on how 'hard core' off road you want to go. For basic expedition wheeling, the stock trim is very capable.

The biggest limitation (from an options POV) is the available drivetrain options.

GEARING OPTIONS: NOBODY that I know of makes gears for the Gen III or newer Montero's other than Mitsubishi and their selection is pretty slim (nothing over 4.90:1 on the R&P's & no transfer case options whatsoever).

I know you're looking at the current body style (gen III) but in case a gen II (92-2000) might be in the cards.... you can upgrade your 4.62:1 transfer case gears to 3.15:1 through a manufacturer in Australia. There is also a standard Mitsubishi rear differential Lock (94-96 SR, 97-2000 w/ the Winter Package). You can also upgrade the differential ring and pinion gears from the stock 4.2:1 to Mitsubishi R&P's that are 4.9:1. Doing both gear swaps will allow you to run 33's w/ an 'effective' stock gear ratio off road. Alternatively you can run 35's with just the slightest amount of power loss and 37's w/ just a bit more power loss (like running 35's with the original stock gears) off road. On road, the R&P's will work in your favor but the xcase gear will be the stock gearing.

I currently run 35's with the original gears. I notice a slight power loss but then again, I'm not like alot of owners that drive it expecting it to behave (accelerate, corner, etc) like a car.

LOCKERS: ARB is either offering or working on a rear locking differential for the Gen III. Mitsubishi may offer one but I don't believe it ever made it to the US & getting options from other countries through Mitsu Motors USA is an excercise in futility. ARB does offer one for the Gen II's big front diff currently but not for the Gen II small front diff.

ARMOR: JOAS may offer a moderately tougher skid plate option but for hard core armor 1/8-1/4" thick steel Skid Plates, & Rocker Panel Protection, etc you are looking at built to order solution from your local neighborhood fabricator.

CAMPING OPTIONS: Most options like RTT's, Roof Racks (std brands), Bumpers (ARB, TJM, ECB, etc.), etc are available from a variety of manufacturers.

Other more cosmetic options abound so long as you're not hoping for functional off road use (i.e. brush guards, light guards, etc.)

HTH.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
m3bavaria,
GEARING OPTIONS: NOBODY that I know of makes gears for the Gen III or newer Montero's other than Mitsubishi and their selection is pretty slim (nothing over 4.90:1 on the R&P's & no transfer case options whatsoever).

Crawling gears for the gen III models are now available. I frequent an Aussie board and there is a company that sells them there. I haven't found the need for such low gearing, but some of the guys who have them rave about them. You can read more about them here. Post #57 contains the contact info for the company.

FYI, the 2001-2002 Montero is the Pajero NM; 2003-2006 is the Pajero NP; I'm not sure which model is the Pajero NS.

LOCKERS: ARB is either offering or working on a rear locking differential for the Gen III. Mitsubishi may offer one but I don't believe it ever made it to the US & getting options from other countries through Mitsu Motors USA is an excercise in futility.

Mitsubishi did offer their own air locker for the rear diff for the '01 and '02 models, and I've tried getting one via several US dealers, but the parts managers could never figure out or find the part. My guess is that it simply isn't available to get, because it was never sold over here. ARB did announce that this would be available sometime this year. I already have their front one installed.

Off-roader, thanks for continuing to add to the Mitsu knowledge here. I think collectively we're starting to get something going.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Crawling gears for the gen III models are now available. I frequent an Aussie board and there is a company that sells them there. I haven't found the need for such low gearing, but some of the guys who have them rave about them. You can read more about them here. Post #57 contains the contact info for the company.
Good to know they're now available although I couldn't find Post #57. That link takes me to the main page for their forums and not to a specific forum. I did go to the gen III forum but didn't quickly see a post on gearing options there.

FYI, the 2001-2002 Montero is the Pajero NM; 2003-2006 is the Pajero NP; I'm not sure which model is the Pajero NS.
Yeah, I didn't want to introduce the Nx naming convention since we rarely use it in the states.

Mitsubishi did offer their own air locker for the rear diff for the '01 and '02 models, and I've tried getting one via several US dealers, but the parts managers could never figure out or find the part. My guess is that it simply isn't available to get, because it was never sold over here.

If you can get the CAPS program for Australia (probably the only other English version) you might be able to pull up the right part numbers but the US dealerships still may not be able to source it. Alternatively you could always find it through an overseas part yard or through an overseas dealer via a contact in Australia or even in Japan. That's how some of us sourced Pajero badges for our Montero's.:cool:

ARB did announce that this would be available sometime this year. I already have their front one installed.

Off-roader, thanks for continuing to add to the Mitsu knowledge here. I think collectively we're starting to get something going.
Yeah I heard it was coming later this year after they build the unit for the Land Cruiser IIRC.

What's the model number for the front you you have? Is it the RD110 which is also used in gen I/II's w/ the bigger front diff?

No worries about contributing. I'm just like anyone else who enjoys yaking / sharing about stuff they love LOL. :sombrero::victory:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Okay, I fixed the link. Also, here's a direct link to the 57th post with the contact info.

I added the bit about the Nx naming convention, because it will make any threads anyone reads on that forum more intelligible.

About the front locker, yes it is ARB's RD110.

The part number for their rear locker for the gen III is: RD155. Source.

Justice R

Adventurer
ok

. you can upgrade your 4.62:1 transfer case gears to 3.15:1 through a manufacturer in Australia. .

Just to clarify the stock gearing in the Mitsu T-case is 1.9:1 which can be upgraded to 3.15:1 I wish that the T-case was 4.62:Wow1: that would be some crawling right there!

I have the Aussie 2.85's in my 89 and It crawls nicely

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Just to clarify the stock gearing in the Mitsu T-case is 1.9:1 which can be upgraded to 3.15:1 I wish that the T-case was 4.62:Wow1: that would be some crawling right there!

I have the Aussie 2.85's in my 89 and It crawls nicely

You could probably adapt/customize 2 xcases together to double your crawl ratio. I know someone's done that w/ their gen I.:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

But then again, I'm not sure if that's what the OP was looking to do.:ylsmoke:

Justice R

Adventurer
T cases

Nathan C on the wire is ran dual NP231's in his 95. Since the Montero and 90's model Cherokee's both ran the Aisin Warner Auto trans, some interchange is possible with the transfer cases and a little bit of innovation.

78Bronco

Explorer
I just bought a 1993 Mitsu Pajero (Montero) with the 2.8L Turbo Diesel Intercooler and 4sp Auto. I really enjoy this truck it has plenty of power and handles great. I haven't had the chance to do any offroad driving yet but from what I can see the chassis is very well built. I'm not a huge fan of the torsion bar front suspensions so I plan on ditching it in favour of a live axle.

The IFS in my opinion is competent to deal with 33" tires at the most. 35" tires are pushing the limits. The IFS has too many moving parts and the steering is weak which means it needs servicing more frequently than what would be required of a simple live axle with cross over steering setup. Just the idler arm is $100 then you have a total of 6 tie rod, upper and lower control arms and ball joints.

Other than that I'm really happy with the MPG and the driveability around town and on the highway.

The t-case gearing is pretty lame but you can install the 3.15 t-case gears which pretty much eliminates the need for a dual t-case setup.

Would I buy another, YES. I'm waiting for my gf's car to die so I can invest in a Delica too.

Aftermarket support is a real shame. Lifts only offer 1-2" of additional height and will contribute to premature wear of the CV's. From what I have seen in most forums most people are resorting to body lifts to gain clearance to fit larger tires. I'm not a huge fan of body lifts as they do not provide any additional strength to the frame connections. I've seen pictures of one gent's truck in the UK with a 6" body lift and it's downright scary that he can pass inspection and be allowed to drive on the roads. I wouldn't consider more than a 2" body lift.

:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Justice R

Adventurer
Montero

While I agree that with much of what your saying, Ive found the the IFS to be pretty stout, especially on the 2nd Gen Models. The Steering box is a big Koyo with a four bolt mount to the frame where most use 3. The idler arm runs about $50 around here. It too will put up with a lot of abuse, but the shaft will bend under heavy wheeling. I run a lifetime warrantee one so when/if it bends I can put a new one on for free. The CV's seem to hold up well with 33's and the front locker. You canb run Manual hubs on the gen 2 to prevent CV wear. No lift is needed to run 33's and you can run 35's with a mild 2" body lift, which is probably why there's no aftermarket lift available (Its not really needed) . The guys running those huge bodylifts overseas are all show.

I've never broken a tie rod, not trying to toot my own horn or whatever, but with the selection of trails I've done with my 95, thats saying something...

I ran the Rubicon with a guy last year running 37's with the stock IFS and a front locker, while I would not reccomend this, it was done with no breakage. 35's dont seem to be too much of a problem...but yea that's pushing the upper limits.

As far as the aftermarket goes, well I'll just leave that one alone. Now that I can get a front ARB locker and gears for my T-case I'm happy. These both did not exist when I started wheeling these rigs..

78Bronco

Explorer
The price I was giving as an example was Canadian funds.

I agree the IFS is not all that bad, I just prefer simple and even cheaper parts.

Hopefully ARB will be releasing the 9.5" rear diff in the next year or two.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior