Expedition Bicycles?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
upcruiser said:
...We road from the Green River side around and up the Shaffer trail on the last day. I was hurting on that climb. We had about 45 miles of riding that last day with the Shafer trail climb being the last thing....

:Wow1: :Wow1: :Wow1:

I wouldn't have been able to walk for a week! Methinks someone has a masochistic streak....I couldn't even imagine.....:bowdown:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
It wasn't really too bad other then the fact it was my first week back on my bike saddle since the previous fall. Honestly though, I'd do it again in a minute. The scenery was so spectacular and there is a pretty good sense of accomplishment after completing it, especially self supported. Alot of people ride the trail with support from either hired companies that bring tools, food, water, and supplies. Feels pretty good to drag all you need behind you, except maybe on those climbs!;)

Here's some more pictures, sorry about the hijack, but it is just up the river from the Grand Canyon, haha.

Attachments

• alli and i.jpg
    alli and i.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 016_16.JPG
    016_16.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 017_17.JPG
    017_17.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 020_20.JPG
    020_20.JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 021_21.JPG
    021_21.JPG
    504.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 022_22.JPG
    022_22.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 023_23.JPG
    023_23.JPG
    562.5 KB · Views: 119
  • f2e2e751.jpg
    f2e2e751.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 161
  • P1010271.JPG
    P1010271.JPG
    586 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010276.JPG
    P1010276.JPG
    668.2 KB · Views: 154

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
a few more here...

Attachments

• P1010288.JPG
    P1010288.JPG
    698.6 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010302.JPG
    P1010302.JPG
    708.6 KB · Views: 100
  • P1010316.JPG
    P1010316.JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 115

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok here is the video of me trying to kill myself on the Shaffer downhill.

I rode from the top to the bottom in just a few minutes... :smileeek:

VIDEO

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Yeah, I can't get the video to play either, but the pictures in the trip report were great!:clapsmile

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, I didn't realize this thread had taken off. Nice photos, everyone. Colorado Ron, we need to talk . . .

I started a page on the buildup of this bike:

http://jandrhanson.com/J-blog/?page_id=44

I'm going slowly because I want it to be reliable and strong. I'm thinking seriously about building my own wheels; it's a skill I've always wanted to learn.

As to when I'll go, I think the best time would be either late spring or early fall, when the North Rim is open and the South Rim isn't too hot. Right now I'm sort of tied to home, since we have a 15-year-old border collie who needs a lot of attention. It would be hard to leave for a month.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Long Live Long Rides!

Is this trip possible mostly on dirt? I did the North Rim many years ago start/finishing in St George and we followed mostly improved and unimproved dirt roads. That was 6 days for us and about 150 miles, although we had stashed food and didn't carry it all ourselves.

Connecting both South and North seems like a really good trip, just wondering what you're planning to do. This will be a bunch of road miles, something like St George to Lee's Ferry to Vegas and back, eh? Just sounds cool!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, the thread lives!

Joaquin, thanks for the offer. I finally decided on a standard gear arrangement for this bike for cost reasons, but someday . . . Everyone who owns a Rohloff seems to love it.

I just bought a Park TS2 truing stand and I'm planning to build my own wheels, something that has always seemed vaguely magical to me. I'll probably build a standard set of wheels first (XT hubs, Mavic XC717 rims), then try a Schmidt generator hub on another front wheel. Ever used one of those?

Dave, I plan to make this trip on dirt as much as possible, only connecting on paved roads where it's unavoidable. I want to talk with ranchers and rangers and the Navajo who live and work near the rim. The South Rim section will probably be more on paved roads than not, but there are a lot of dirt trails over on the west side near the Havasupai area, and miles and miles on the North Rim as you know.

I plan to start at the South Rim and go counterclockwise, to Marble Canyon, then back roads as much as possible all the way across to the Nevada border near Mesquite, then down around through Boulder City and east again.

I'd love to hear more about your trip.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Joaquin, I'm seriously considering setting my gear train up without indexing, using Pal's thumb shifters. Also, I've chosen a pretty low range gear set that will allow me to use a short-cage rear derailleur, thus at least reducing the chance of trail damage.

On wheels: I hear you, and indeed know someone who will coach me on building. I'll have the opportunity to practice on at least two wheelsets before I build my touring set, so if I don't think I've nailed the process I'll still have the pro do those. In any case, I figure knowing how to build wheels can never be a bad skill to have.

P.S. I know how to make baskets too!

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, sorry I missed the queries, you guys.

The bike project will be getting back on track soon with the promise of a working left knee on the horizon, thanks to modern medicine.

I did get the wheels built. Shimano XT hubs, Alpine spokes, and 36-hole Mavic XC717 rims. Wheels made to carry heavy loads thousands of miles and not go out of true. Tires will most likely be Schwalbe Marathons.

Next up will be brakes - probably Cane Creek - then derailleurs, undoubtedly Shimano XT. For handlebars I'd like a set of these:

http://jonesbikes.com/update/hbar/index.html

The Jones H-Bar.

Clutch

<---Pass
Jonathan,

My best friend Michael owns A.B.E. (Arizona Bicycle Experts). He rode across the country last year from The San Jauns to Boston on a Surly Long Haul Trucker with full Campy Chorus. You should give him a visted. They are located across the street from Rincon Market at Tucson Ave and 6th ST.

surly1.jpg

I know he has been talking of doing the Continental Divide.

Tell him I sent you in...it should be good thing. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke