New dog for our family.

Superu

Explorer
We've been looking for quite a while to find the right fit for our family and finally found him.

Bob aka (Bobaaaay!) is a 4 year old retired Greyhound racer with a quiet but playful disposition. He took an immediate liking to the kids and snuggled right up with them.

He has short single coated fur which should be helpful for my moderate allergies compared to a double coated dog.

We'll be picking him up next week and will post pics once he's home with us. Looks like it's gonna be time for a bigger vehicle soon! :Wow1:

KevinNY

Adventurer
Good for you to take a rescue race dog. I've known a couple of them and they have been very gentle dogs.

Wander

Expedition Leader
My in-laws have adapted 4 ex-racers over the years. All great dogs. I was surprised at how lazy they are at first. A couple laps around the back yard (at 30mph) and then it's a multi hour nap. They have had two male racers, a female breeder and the current is a young female that was too small, playful (and goofy) to train in the brief time the owners allow so they got her at 2.

The muscle tone of these athlete's is amazing and the speed of the males they had was very fun to watch. It is also a big plus that they are pretty much fully trained when you get them, have fun.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Congrats. Retired grey hounds make for great family dogs. They just want to be loved and they're so happy not to have to race anymore. I heard there's even waiting lists to get those dogs sometimes from Greyhound adoption centers. I've always wanted one. Make sure to post up photos when you get Bob... i wanna see him!

Superu

Explorer
Pics of Bob

bryan.jpg

Ok, so that's not really my dog, but he is one of my favorites!

Here's the real deal!

Bobbbyyyyy!!!

bob3.JPG

bob1.JPG

Ed B

Adventurer
I have never cared for dog racing as those dogs live a hard life. Good for you for rescuing one. I have always been impressed by their athleticism. Although it's been close to 45 years ago, I still have fond memories of watching greyhounds run in the park in the town I grew up in in England. The speed of those dogs amazed me. Enjoy the new family member.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles