FrontRunner G-Wagens: The ultimate expedition G

zimm

Expedition Leader
Yeah, they're not really "standard" D60 and 44's, what I'm refering to mroe is the fact that some think of this is a beef'd up Rubicon when in fact the front diff is open and the rear is an LSD. I know there are options, but off the shelf the two aren't really comparable in terms of equiptment.

but were really not discussing anything close to off the shelf trucks. i dont see beadlocks on the MB option chart. all were really looking at here, are the bones and are the bones worth the big difference in cost.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The J8 is a semi-floater. With the c-clips if you break an axle you loose the tire. The brake caliper keeps it from coming out I think...but still.....LAME.
I would like to see a full floater kit that used the same bearing as the front?

Full floater is on my wishlist for sure. Its a shame the J8 dropped the ball in a few places.

Doesn't the G has a transfer case that lets you shift from low to high with a syncromesh feature. IE you don't have to stop to shift. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
The J8 is a semi-floater. With the c-clips if you break an axle you loose the tire. The brake caliper keeps it from coming out I think...but still.....LAME.

I guess one could argue that you'd need to really beat on a SF Dana 60 to break a shaft but still, not optimal. I'd prefer full-float for certain.

Full floater is on my wishlist for sure.
Big fan of FF. So much so that I made the Dana 44 in my XJ full float (WARN parts).

Doesn't the G has a transfer case that lets you shift from low to high with a syncromesh feature. IE you don't have to stop to shift. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I'm not sure about the new-new stuff but the older stuff did for certain. It's a cool feature but to me not something that would tip the balance from one truck to another. I'm more interested in AWD(full-time) versus part-time modes. I like full-time modes for winter driving. J8 is part-time only of course. If I had a J8 I'd look real hard at building a hybrid NV242 using HMMWV and Jeep parts. Then I'd probably just leave it alone. lol

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of all wheel drive...but in all my years I have never really needed it. regular old 4wd seems to work fine for me. I have been driving on crappy snowy/icy roads since I was 14 so its no big deal to me.

One thing I have found VERY useful in recent years is the ability to have front wheel drive only from the transfer case.

Indiana Drew

Observer
Modern Gs are all wheel drive, thus the 3 locking diffs - older ones are part time. All are syncromesh TC. Modern Gs have an electronically controlled order for the lockers, middle - rear - front ... Older, front or rear or both can be engaged.

Front wheel only choice in a TC - I'm sure there are more, but the Volvo C30X are the only ones of which I know.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
but were really not discussing anything close to off the shelf trucks. i dont see beadlocks on the MB option chart. all were really looking at here, are the bones and are the bones worth the big difference in cost.
Valid point as usual Zimm. I guess I'm refering to what you get from each of the creators. Bead-Locks ARE stock to the Front Runner. And open/LSD rear Diffs are what roll out of the AEV door. Knowing that the J8 60 is a SF C-clip axle is just a big hit to the confidence I had in this truck. YES it's hard to break an axle shaft if you're running reasonable tires and not crawling over boulders (NOT what these trucks are designed for anyway...) but seriously??? Jeep claims to have "Beef'd up the chasis and components" of the J8 for Millitary use and they don't spec a FF rear-end??? That's just a poor choice imo...

Cheers

Dave

zimm

Expedition Leader
Valid point as usual Zimm. I guess I'm refering to what you get from each of the creators. Bead-Locks ARE stock to the Front Runner. And open/LSD rear Diffs are what roll out of the AEV door. Knowing that the J8 60 is a SF C-clip axle is just a big hit to the confidence I had in this truck. YES it's hard to break an axle shaft if you're running reasonable tires and not crawling over boulders (NOT what these trucks are designed for anyway...) but seriously??? Jeep claims to have "Beef'd up the chasis and components" of the J8 for Millitary use and they don't spec a FF rear-end??? That's just a poor choice imo...

Cheers

Dave

its not a ff, but im having a difficult time seeing how you could break a shaft if you set it up like the aftermarket g is set up. you wont loose a tire with the disk brake, and a semi float rear internals are easy to get at. if this was military design, maybe thats what they were thinking.... use a setup that would hard to break in the first place, and cheap and easy for the motor pool to deal with. the t&m rate on the j8 is going to be significantly less then the MB.

bean counters. :)

dclee

Observer
While I share the opinions here on FF vs. SF, the whole "military-designed" slant is a bit off. The G was originally designed as a military vehicle. More than any other vehicle discussed here (70 Series, J8, even Defender, etc.), it was specifically designed for military use. Not farming or towing boats or hauling kids. It is in current use by the military forces of more nations than all the others put together. The only reason it is still in production is because NATO demanded it (albeit the 461 series, not the bling-bling 463).

So, to say semi-float in and of itself is a poor choice for military use, without any context, is not entirely fair IMHO.

Indiana Drew

Observer
While I share the opinions here on FF vs. SF, the whole "military-designed" slant is a bit off. The G was originally designed as a military vehicle. More than any other vehicle discussed here (70 Series, J8, even Defender, etc.), it was specifically designed for military use. Not farming or towing boats or hauling kids. It is in current use by the military forces of more nations than all the others put together. The only reason it is still in production is because NATO demanded it (albeit the 461 series, not the bling-bling 463).

So, to say semi-float in and of itself is a poor choice for military use, without any context, is not entirely fair IMHO.

Well put Derek - how are those wheels working out at the ends of your SF axles? Looking for some new wheels for the G500 ... Heard some other interesting news in the last few days about some "improvements" that might be available ... I'll have to email you ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke