2004 Suburban LT vs. 2000 Land Cruiser

Superu

Explorer
I'd appreciate some feedback from the full size drivers out here.

I'm looking at a 2004 Suburban 1500 LT and a 2000 Land Cruiser for the dead minivan replacement.

They both have just over 80k miles, leather, 3rd row seating. Land Cruiser just had the timing belt and water pump replacement service performed.

We have 2 adults, 3 rapidly growing sons, 75 lb. dog and our Engel MT45 fridge/freezer to haul around. Will occasionally be doing light towing and carrying a loaded bike rack on the hitch.

This will be my wife's daily driver. MPG is not a big concern as we accept the limitations of driving a full sized truck around.

Long term plans will include a roof top tent and Adventure Trailer.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. I'll be making a purchase within 2 weeks. :Wow1:

Also, considered is 2002 Sequoia Limited with 118k miles, though I'm a bit leery about jumping into a 7 year old vehicle with those miles even though it's a Toyota.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
First off I would say ignore the Sequoia. My brother has one and it is a fine vehicle for the soccer mom crowd but I would be loathe to take that thing anywhere challenging.

The Suburban is going to have more room than the Land Cruiser, but the Land Cruiser will have more aftermarket support if you wish to do any mods to it in the future. I guess it will boil down to which vehicle you like the best. If I were to do my build over again, I would have looked at Land Cruisers a lot harder, especially with the availability of the seat relocation kit. Lots more goodies out there for the LC over a GM NBS truck.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
First off I would say ignore the Sequoia. My brother has one and it is a fine vehicle for the soccer mom crowd but I would be loathe to take that thing anywhere challenging.

Why is that? They're fairly capable vehicles, no?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
We have 2 adults, 3 rapidly growing sons, 75 lb. dog and our Engel MT45 fridge/freezer to haul around

You can fit all of the above in a LC but thats about it. I have owned both and the LC is a much better vehicle but for your needs I would go with the Suburban for a much more comfortable fit.

Pskhaat

We have 2 adults, 3 rapidly growing sons, 75 lb. dog and our Engel MT45 fridge/freezer to haul around.

Our demographics looks nearly identical. 3 sons, a large 75+ lbs dog. But I don't have the fridge :( and I can tell you we're overflowing on trips in our LC80 and our old LC100 too.

I'd vote LC hands-down until I read this. Even I have been looking at PSDs or utility trailers just to haul the stuff.

Also, considered is 2002 Sequoia Limited with 118k miles, though I'm a bit leery about jumping into a 7 year old vehicle with those miles even though it's a Toyota.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage personally. The Tree is indeed bigger behind the 3rd row, but that's about it IMO. You will only gain a marginal amount of space over the LC.

Superu

Explorer
Except for the dog, we've fit everything in the cargo trailer or roof top box with the Superu, so anything bigger will be a vast improvement.

P8024525.JPG
P7152911.JPG

I'll likely remove one of the second row seats to have easier access and a spot for the dog and then load up the area behind the 3rd row and the box or trailer for tent, cots and sleeping gear. As long as I can comfortably fit the family (dog included) and fridge inside with my bug out sack, first aid and recovery gear, I'll be ok.

I just wish the Suburban didn't have 322 TSBs listed at NHTSA vs. 30 for the Sequoia and 14 for the Land Cruiser! I know they sell more of them and that may skew the numbers a bit, but a 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 ratio just seems excessive. :coffee:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Land Cruiser hands down...

You hit the nail on the head about the TSB's, GM products are just something I'm not willing to trust out in the bush (like Jeeps, some have no problems, but most have LOTS). The cruiser on the other hand is a long proven platform with tons of aftermarket, tons of capability and tons of fun... The Chevy just weigh's TONS... 02TahoeMD's got a neat truck but it is certainly the exception not the rule if you know what I'm saying ;)

Now if it were an old Suburban, well I'd still buy the Cruiser but I'd be more interested in the Chevy if it were old. their old trucks were great. new ones... Not so much that's my opinion and I'm a pretty commited Toyota guy (for a reason) so take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers

Dave

Pskhaat

I often wonder how well GM trucks would hold up if cared-for like Toyota fans care with fervor for their vehicles.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I often wonder how well GM trucks would hold up if cared-for like Toyota fans care with fervor for their vehicles.
GM guys are just as loyal and die-hard as some of us Toyota guy's (why I couldn't tell you) but longevity has never been one of late model GM's strong points. Old GM/Chevy's sure, but those were old, simplistic vehicles with not alot to go wrong. Clearly Nippon-Denso is alot better a QCing parts then Bosch is ;) and frankly with all the spreading thin GM has been doing it's no wonder their quality of rpoduct has dropped. Seems liek everytime GM got into trouble they made another version of an SUV nobody was buying. Course their executives never had to worry about their paychecks just those blue-collar foks who actualy made their products...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Both good vehicles..... I've seen many late model GM trucks with mega miles, even some that aren't taken care of very well. The late model GM engines are great, and easy/cheap to repair if needed.

The only downfall I've seen is that damn 10 bolt rear axle. That's it!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'd go with the Land Cruiser if you can fit everything, a trailer is another good option if $$$ allows. I bought my 2000 with 78K and it drove like it was brand new. I still regret selling it...

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Here is a good thread discussing the Sequoia for Expedition use. Click me! My brother has 3 kids and just taking a trip to the Outer Banks ( 6 hrs away) the Sequoia is stuffed to almost overflowing - gets kinda cramped in there. And again, the Sequoia has woefully inadequate aftermarket support when compared with the Land Cruiser.

4Rescue, thanks for the compliment. High praise indeed! Much appreciated. :)

Dont know how the Land Cruiser would compare with the Suburban for interior space, never seen one side by side but I would guess the Suburban would win that comparison. I do like my Tahoe, and it has been a fun learning experience owning it. Indeed, most of my other hobbies have gone by the wayside since I started modding it.

So, Superu if you decide to get the Suburban I am more than happy to help any way I can with modding it.

Keep us posted....

fisher205

Explorer
My 2001 Silverado has 160,000 miles on it. I had to put a u joint in at 140,000 and the gas gauge works sporadically, other than that it's been trouble free.
It doesn't see much hard off road but 1/3 those miles have been on gravel wash board roads, forest service trails and cattle pastures. I doubt you'll be seeing much harder if you are replacing a Subaru (Not dissing the Sub, we have a Forester) but I wouldn't worry about the Suburban. Every ranch family out here has one, and I use one a lot for hunting.

Your up front cost will be lower w/ the burban, but you'll see better resale with the LC. My experience with the 100' s and my truck you'll see a little better fuel mileage with the burban. -Brad

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
The Burb will definatly win in internal volume. And honestly if your're not needing all of the capability that the Cruiser offers, the Burban may well be the best option. Like I said they're HUGE inside comapred to what you're coming from. As far as milage, I'm not so sure that the Burb will come out on top versus the 100Series, it may be close, but I imagine the Cruiser will get better milage. now if it were an FJ or even FZJ80 maybe you'd see better milage with the Chevy. I'm glad to hear that people are having good luck with their GM trucks, but personaly I won't ever trust my life/self alone out in the bush to a late model GM product. But that's just me...

Cheers

Dave

Superu

Explorer
Another wrench in the mix.

My darling wife saw a Disco that very much reminded her of her beloved 95 Montero. She rarely expresses any preference on these issues, so I find myself currently between the following options.

1. 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser with 102,000 miles for $12,900.
  2. 2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7 with 43,000 miles for $13,900. (Am I going to pay though the nose for a roof rack and should I be overly concerned about COG if I plan to put a RTT up there? We're not going rock crawling, but some of the sand trails get pitchy at times.)
  3. 2004 Chevrolet Suburban with 83,000 miles for $14,883. (With this choice, I'll likely buy a spare fuel pump and carry it with me so I'm not totally screwed waiting on the part if/when it fails far from home.)

Regardless of choice, I'll buy an extended warranty. Based on feedback from others, I'm limiting the Disco selection to 2004 model years. They seem to be the most reliable of that generation.

For configuration of space, I'll likely remove the larger section of the middle row seats leaving space for the dog and fridge as well as easy access to the rear seats. Until we get an AT, we'll still haul our little cargo box trailer for extended outings.

All candidates have leather interior which I know is not the best for true expedition travel, but in my experience is preferable for keeping things clean with the dog and kids aboard!

Briefly considered an Excursion but opted out since we are not having more kids and most of this vehicle's duty will involve hauling the kids and dog around town with camping/exploring adventures as often as time permits. Most we expect to tow will likely be an AT in the next year or two. No big boats or travel trailers.

Please feel free to offer your opinions on these choices. :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles