Cheap $$ bike capable of cross country expeditioning?

cstamm81

Adventurer
First off, I'm a total newb when it comes to bikes, so please forgive my stupidity! I was crusing the local CL and ran across a mid 70's Yamaha Enduro 2500CC for under a grand. This got my gears turning as I have always wanted to do long distance solo motorcycle trips. By long distance I mean across US, Canada, and Mexico type trips. So, is there such a thing as a cheap (under 2 grand) bike capable of handling such a trip and being somewhat comfortable in the process? I wouldn't need much cargo carrying capacity, I can travel very, very light. Thanks in advance!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Some of the 70s enduros are 2 stroke...so just do some research. Any bike will do the trip. Just look at Lois Pryce's trips from Alaska to Ushuaia and London to Cape town on her Yamaha 225/250s.

I'd look for a more modern dual sport, such as an NX250 or NX650 Honda, which can be found quite frequently for around $1500.

Budget an additional $500 to $1000 for good quality motorcycle gear. Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Gloves and real moto boots.

Doesn't matter what you're on, a moped or a BMW GS Adventure....the pavement will tear skin and bone just the same.

You can also check out the for sale section of www.advrider.com for used bikes and gear.

HTH

-H-

efuentes

Explorer
I'd look for a more modern dual sport, such as an NX250 or NX650 Honda, which can be found quite frequently for around $1500.

Thats the route I took, could not be happier :sombrero:

1K worth of goodness !!!

IMG_0223.jpg

cstamm81

Adventurer
That Honda looks like the ticket! What model is it, an NX250? Thanks for the advice Hltoppr, and the heads up on the Enduros. I'll keep my eyes open on that site and on craigslist.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I was a total bike noob just over a year ago. These are the words of wisdom I received here when I asked and I'd like to pass them on:

1. Take the MSF class.

2. Learn on a small bike (200-250cc), especially if you want to ride off pavement. It won't be your last bike so don't lose any sleep over the exact make and model.

What I found is after a while you'll work out whether its big enough for going to the places you have in mind. Mine still is but any faster than 50MPH and I feel like I should loctite my nuts on! I love my DR200 (especially the 95 MPG) but sometimes it would be nice to have a bigger bike that will soak up some freeway miles to get further afield.

3. Buy good safety gear and wear it.

Motorcycles are great! :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

RHINO

Expedition Leader
its a loaded question but a good one, the simple truth is that almost any bike is equally capable at long distance travel. the only bikes i wouldnt want to travel on like that are the very rare or odd bikes that wont have any parts and repair support. the cool thing about older 70's bike is that they are just enough of a classic that many places are catering to them again, and in other places you can adapt and fit a wide variety of non specific repair to them.

preacherman

Explorer
2. Learn on a small bike (200-250cc), especially if you want to ride off pavement. It won't be your last bike so don't lose any sleep over the exact make and model.

great advice, my first dual sport was a 610, and almost got away from me several times. It was great in traffic, off road I should have got something smaller to start with.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
There's any number of older dual sports that will do the job you want. Yamaha XT350 comes to mind as a nice middle-ground between the small 200's and a 650. But, if I was going to be going long distances, mostly on-road, I'd want a KLR 650 or Suzuki DR650. You might also be able to find a rare DR BIG, or Yamaha 850 Tenere.

The biggest problem with any really old or rare bike is parts availability. We've got a few bikes that are rotting away because we can't get parts for them anymore.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've got a Yamaha XT550, '82 model- very basic, one 15 amp circuit. Plenty of power, and new tires. Had it on Ebay, nonpaying buyer- yours for $1k- and only 7400 orig miles- runs great. I've done Central America and back, as well as Alaska, Newfoundland, etc. on a GS, but hard to beat the thumpers for reliability. Just a thought...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
What is it like for parts on something like that though? I've got an 83 XT125 rotting away because the muffler rusted out and I can't get a replacement. I'd have to cledge something together with a miscellaneous muffler, just haven't bothered.

Luthman

I may be a little biased here as I own one, but a KLR650 will not only take you across country, but around the world.. second only to BMW for parts avilability in wierd places. they are not as agile at a smaller and lighter bike but I have never found that it's size was a problem. you just have to take trails slower and think ahead... in fact, the thing can do 90MPH all day long on the highway (450KM per tank) and then take to just about anywhere off road you want to go. you can find them in all sorts of condition- anywhere from 2-5G

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I agree a KLR is a really good platform for a cheap go-anywhere bike with good parts availability. You just have to temper the "go anywhere" part with a little reality. ;) I've been on a ride with one that took 5 men to get it out of a mud pit. I've spent 2 hours getting my WR250 out of similar pits all alone... but I did do it. :Wow1:

Luthman

yeah.. good point. 5 hours will seem like nothing compaired to what you will have to spend if your bike is loaded down with your expedition gear... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke