2nd Generation Tundra Building

bjowett

Adventurer
The new engine is a retuned 1UR-FE from the Lexus. One guy just posted that driving real nice on his way home from the dealer netted 23.4 MPG over a 300 mile distance.... from a 310hp gas V8 pushing a full size truck weighing over 5500lbs!]

Not a problem on the hijack, it's all good info to have.

Last edited:

d0va

Observer
I have a 2006 titan and is been real good and reliable. I taken it offroading several times and it always does good... The problem was in the 04 and 05 titans the rear was weak for the amount of torque the T puts out... Those problems been fix... 06 and newer titans are very reliable trucks, the offroad version which in 08 is called pro4x has an electronic rear locker and if Im not mistaken the titan in a factory trim is the truck with most ground clearance...

now back on topic I also want to see this Tundra built....

greg mgm

Explorer
The new engine is a retuned 1UR-FE from the Lexus. One guy just posted that driving real nice on his way home from the dealer netted 23.4 MPG over a 300 mile distance.... from a 310hp gas V8 pushing a full size truck weighing over 5500lbs!]

I'm impressed.

I'm used to my GMC 454 truck that gets WAY less mpg!

bjowett

Adventurer
Ok, how about some more current mods? I'm big into modding the driving enviroment to suit me. Good seats are highly underrated. While the stock seats are quite nice and fairly comfy, their one size fits all and lack of large bolsters can leave one moving around a bit in spirited driving and more so during offroad/rough terrain travel. That leads to fatigue setting in sooner. The soloution for me is a set of Recaro Seats. This set has been recovered in stock fabric to match the existing interior. This mod does eliminate the lower side airbag. I am still waiting for the passenger side to get recovered. Oh, and I might add some air suspension frames to them. :ylsmoke:

recaroseat.jpg

I like a good steering wheel, and if it has paddle shift all the better. Two hands on the wheel while picking a gear is a nice feature. The Tundra has a sport shift feature down on the stock shift lever. Integrating the paddles into that circuit was pretty easy. The wires for the steering wheel shifters already existed in the clock spring, so tat parts was plug and play. Two wires from the steering column are run down to the shift lever and spliced into the harness. The paddles operate when the shifter is placed into the sport position.

lexustundrawheel_001.jpg

I know may folks question the swapping of a steering wheel from another vehicle due to airbag compatability. I have yet to find anything that shows different operation of the dual stage system, it should trigger and function the same.

greg mgm

Explorer
Even though the steering wheel is from a Lexus, the swap look pretty darn good.

I know how much of a difference good seats make, especially after putting Beards in my baja. Your Recaros look awesome. Good job on matching the interiors upholstery. Are you using the stock seat belts?

Thanks for the update.

bjowett

Adventurer
So your expedition has gone awry, you've insulted the locals and they are out for you. You need to make a quick exit... 504 hp from a TRD Super Charger will do it...

trdcharger2.jpg

The bad part, $5k.

The good, 550 ft/lbs and factory warranty remains.

bjowett

Adventurer
The super charger install was completed last week, it's fun to drive.... to say the least.

I also just purchased a 1988 Shadow Cruiser Truck Camper for $550. It's in fairly good condition for the age, and should make a nice base to build something fun and durable out of. I pick it up Friday, and will definetly post pics.

bjowett

Adventurer
The good, super cool 1980's fiberglass nose, 1200lbs dry, hydraulic jacks, can't keep the kids out of it. The bad, a little more rot than I first thought, but nothing that can't be remedied.

camper.jpg

greg mgm

Explorer
500 hp?........... COOL!! What a bitchen upgrade.

The Shadow Cruisers have a very good reputation...

Congrats on both purchases!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online