2nd Generation Tundra Building

bjowett

Adventurer
Thanks for the comps.

I will probably gusset the top, but there is more hiding in that bump structure than can be seen in the picture.

Diesel was under consideration last winter, even had a complete twin turbo V8 Land Cruiser drive line located. I passed for several reasons including but not limited to... emissions BS, the fact that Toyota has an oil consumption problem on some of those engines, and the SC 5.7 has much to give in terms of product and performance. I suspect Dieseltoyz may have picked that LC unit up(?). So we'll be seeing a diesel Tundra sooner or later.

bjowett

Adventurer
IRS differential taking shape.

reardiffifs.jpg

NateK

I don't know how I've missed this for so long...:Wow1:
You're doing amazing things with your truck!
Hopefully I can see about some ARB's for my Tundra in the near future... ;)

bjowett

Adventurer
OK, due to time and the 10.5" mess up (machine shop error), I'm moving on to using the 10" Sequoia diff. After some serious searching, I found a differential center that is so close to dropping into the 10" Sequoia differential that I can taste it. It will need some machining, but it will fit. A couple of new old stock Torsen Type 1 differentials for this particular application just happened to pop up, so I snagged them for a song. They even turned out to have the very common 1.5" 35 spline side gears! CV stubs are already produced for this app, so it souldn't be difficult to procure the proper pieces. This will allow size 21/Porsche 934 CV joints to be used. At 5" in outer diameter, they should prove to be quite durable.

Stock 10" Sequoia vs Torsen.
sequoiatorsen.jpg

Here is a size 21/934 CV vs a size 15/930 joint, which is about the size of the Tundra/Sequoia CV.
CV101-4.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Here we were all thinking you were just goofing off during the Holidays... this should be an interesting application.

syche

OK, due to time and the 10.5" mess up (machine shop error), I'm moving on to using the 10" Sequoia diff. After some serious searching, I found a differential center that is so close to dropping into the 10" Sequoia differential that I can taste it. It will need some machining, but it will fit. A couple of new old stock Torsen Type 1 differentials for this particular application just happened to pop up, so I snagged them for a song. They even turned out to have the very common 1.5" 35 spline side gears! CV stubs are already produced for this app, so it souldn't be difficult to procure the proper pieces. This will allow size 21/Porsche 934 CV joints to be used. At 5" in outer diameter, they should prove to be quite durable.

Stock 10" Sequoia vs Torsen.
sequoiatorsen.jpg

Here is a size 21/934 CV vs a size 15/930 joint, which is about the size of the Tundra/Sequoia CV.
CV101-4.jpg

:Wow1:This build is just HUGE, that is a fantastic mix you are making there:smiley_drive:.

Would be great to have more input on this frame and this torsen diff:ylsmoke:. I have send you a pm:)

Regards

newwelder27

I just started watching this build and this is SO SICK!!!!!! I wish i had the time and funds to produce something this nice. If my wife wouldn't cut my balls off for cutting up my truck i might try some of this. Props to you for doing this very nice again and i will be watching.

bjowett

Adventurer
It's been busy around here, but things are starting to get going with the truck.

The rear driveshaft is done, it went from a stock two piece unit to a one piece. The stocker consisted of a steel front section, carrier bearing, and an aluminum rear section with slip yoke/shaft. The rear aluminum shaft was retubed/lengthened for the single piece unit. The shaft is pretty neat, even the splines on the slip shaft are aluminum.

Shaft trial fit.....
driveshaft.jpg

Splines, yes that is soda can for reference...
driveshaftspline.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94