92 Range Rover hose replacement help

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ok I am trying to save some cash here so any help would be great.
My son Nathan has a 92 Range Rover that we are trying to fix up and with the amazing Phoenix heat it has developed a leak in the stuby hose behind the water pump that connects to the manifold.
This doesn't look like fun to replace but if it is a normal heater hose vs some special order bit and folks tell me it can be done by mortals like us then I am willing to attempt it.
I will say that Rover Techs here in town has been super nice with the work they have done for us so far but if I can save a bit of cash and make my son join in the repair process that would be great. Plus the drive across town would be a matter of stopping every couple of miles to refill the radiator or tow it...neither option I like too much :)

All thoughts welcome from anyone who has experience or knowledge in this area is welcome.
I have done some web searches but my mojo seems weak...
Thanks in advance.

evilfij

Explorer
I did this in well under 30 minutes on my D90 (same hose and everything as RRC) last month. Very fiddly job (ie one screwdriver to turn clamp, one to make sure it does not spin, prying hose off while pulling with one finger wedged back there etc.) It IS worth paying the money for a genuine hose as normal heating hose won't bend right and will be much harder to fit. Should be maybe $10 tops for the hose from the usual rover places.

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
I did this in well under 30 minutes on my D90 (same hose and everything as RRC) last month. Very fiddly job (ie one screwdriver to turn clamp, one to make sure it does not spin, prying hose off while pulling with one finger wedged back there etc.) It IS worth paying the money for a genuine hose as normal heating hose won't bend right and will be much harder to fit. Should be maybe $10 tops for the hose from the usual rover places.

This response was posted while I was writing and I agree 100%.
I also think it's a great idea to get your son involved in repairing his truck and learning mechanical skills now. No matter his profession he'll never regret having those skills.
Mike

James86004

Expedition Leader
I was able to get that hose from NAPA. It may have been the time when they took the old one and found another one with the same diameter and bend, and I had to cut the excess off.

The worst two hoses on that thing are the heater hoses at the firewall. They clearly were installed at the factory before the engine was put in. It is one of the things that is a lot easier to fix on a 1995 RR Classic, or a Discovery.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
When removing the old one dont' bother fighting with it. After loosening the clamps, take a razor knife and slice the ends along the length of the hose. Comes off easy. When installing the new one, clean the fittings on both ends and put a little petroleum jelly or similar on the inside ends of the new hose. This will help it slide on a little easier.

I had to replace that hose in middle of nowhere kansas once....it took two different sized of gas station heater hose and a copper 90deg elbow....heck, I made it home :)

Oh, and I agree with the "just slice it off" theory.

evilfij

Explorer
I did not know mine was bad ahead of time (split at the bottom out of sight) so I did not slice it, but that makes sense to do. Getting the clamps off was the worst. I took two of them off because I had to steal the one off the parts defender motor in the garage (it was newish) as I did not have a new hose on hand at that time.

Pad

Adventurer
Lance, If you havent changed it yet, do yourself a favor and loosen the clamps that hold the rigged metal heater hoses
(runs across the top of motor) this will allow attaching the new hoses a little less frustrating.

Good luck,
Pad

Oh, and carrying a piece of scrap bike innertube with 3-clamps make for a great 'get off the trail and home' emergency hose repair kit.
I made from mt. Rushmore back to MN like this once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke