Oil Change?

Bergger

Explorer
Okay so I just passed 1,000 miles on the Xterra yesterday. The break-in period is 1200 miles, according to the manual. Nissan recommends oil changes every 3750 miles. Should I wait that long or since the engine is breaking in should I get it changed at around 1200 then use then at 3750 there after?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I'm an overkill kinda guy...:ar15:
I change early and often. It seems like a minimal investment for more peace of mind...

:)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Don't know if it matters that much anymore with newer engines, but I'd still change the oil every 1000 or 1500 for the first several thousand miles or so, and be sure to not use synthetic, just plain old run-of-the-mill oil at the manufacturer's specified weight. You want to be able to generate a slight amount of resistance everywhere to seat in everything. After about 5-10k, switch to synthetic at your preferred weight.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I just got a new engine in the Trooper and the shop said to change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles, then at least one normal interval on dino oil and then I could switch to synthetic is I wanted.

I say change it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier