Help With Tire and Rim Selection

TheWoodser

Here is my dilemma. I have a 4X4 2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab with the TRD package and I need new tires like, yesterday. I would like to lift my truck 3” eventually and would REALLY like to save that expense for another day. What kind of tires and rims can I get away with that will not be obsolete in the future. I would eventually like to wind up with 31” or 33” tires on American Racing Chamber with Teflon rims. Or would my best bet to replace the stock tires with something similar and wait to do it all at the same time?

I did read the Expeditions West white paper on tire selection. It was helpful selecting rubber, but question is more on size.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I don't recommend going above 2.5" of lift with your Tacoma, as you will begin to negatively impact the performance of the suspension and cause premature wear on your CV and ball joints. If you choose to wait until you lift the truck to get your new tires, then at that point in time you can make the difficult decision to go with either the 255/85R/16 tire, or something like a 265/75R/16 or 32x11.5x15.

If you want to go ahead and get the tires on now, I think you would be okay to go with a 265/75R/16 or 32x11.5x15. You will be pretty much restricted to pavement and graded dirt driving until you get your lift though. Also, I'm not sure but I think the 265/75R/16 size might be a bit thin for the 8" wide Chamber wheels. And regarding the Chamber wheels, you may want to check to see if the 15x8 size will fit with your calipers. If so, you will get a bit more sidewall and the tires generally cost a little less than the 16" diameter (metric) tires. Depending on the tire brand the 32x11.5x15 is also a shade taller than the 265 size.

erin

Explorer
When I was looking for rims/tires, I was also interested in the Mohave teflons, but was told by Discount tire they do not make the correct backspacing to clear the caliper, so just make sure they know the rims you pick will fit or better yet test fit them to your truck.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
erin said:
When I was looking for rims/tires, I was also interested in the Mohave teflons, but was told by Discount tire they do not make the correct backspacing to clear the caliper, so just make sure they know the rims you pick will fit or better yet test fit them to your truck.

Hmmm - I'm pretty sure Brittan has been using Mojave teflons on his Tacoma. Maybe he will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior