Commuters

Sirocco

Explorer
thread revival...

1st time I have been in here :)

thought I would contribute a pic of my most recent purchase, a Ribble touring bike sporting Ortlieb panniers. :coffeedrink:

my commute is about 8.5 miles each way, the tubes are Geological Maps I have been selling on Ebay. One of those in the photo is actually on its way to Mr. Hanson as I type :ylsmoke:

G

Attachments

• touring.jpg
    touring.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 24

spacer

Observer
408409392_fab60ed38f_m.jpg

This was my commuter ride for a few years, 13 miles each way over some pretty hilly roads, as well as the LR river trail, until my hips and circumstances, like having Zoe, had me driving more.

I'd like to start bike commuting again, but in the shape I'm currently in, the previous bike will have to stay on the wall for a little while. I'd use the Surly touring bike or my Montague instead.

2470803213_bd74c9c2d4_m.jpg

4307225825_5421a806a2_m.jpg

Come to think of it, I'll probably use the Montague, as I can fold it up and fit it inside the Peterbilt, rather than trying to find a safe place to stow the touring bike. Years ago, when I first got back into cycling ('99), I'd remove the front wheel, rest the rear wheel in the passenger footwell, and rest the front forks on the front of the bunk. That could still work with the Surly, but it'll just be easier with the Paratrooper.

Last edited:

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Used $15 Mongoose scooter with knobby tires and a cardboard carrier I made for holding mail. Semi-retirement currently allows me the luxury of having to go no farther than the community mailboxes. For contrast, one of my former neighbors was so thoroughly un-guilty of short commutes that she used to drive to the mailboxes, a distance of 1000 feet or less, and seemed upset if she had to park in any place other than the shortest distance from her apartment door. The irony was that she was a fitness nut, I could hear her exercise videos blasting through my bedroom wall on Saturday mornings.

scootr.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Here is mine. Just finished rebuilding it.

Though it is fitted with a different set of wheels and tires now, as I made the jump from 27's to 700's:sombrero:

v38.jpg

Anybody know what it is?

Anybody?

:ylsmoke:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
commuter, version 2.1

When I lived in Flagstaff I turned my first mountain bike (1999 KHS Crest) into a commuter. It still had all of the original components on it, so shifting & braking could be a bit sketchy. Not to mention the front shock was totally shot. So when Scott was getting rid of his old Gary Fisher (circa '90s), I pulled the rear rack, pedals, wheelset & tires off my old commuter & started riding this:

attachment.php

Invested so far: $0. In the works are a new (men's) seat. Other than that it should do just fine. I do think it would be fun to build up a super lightweight cyclocross as a commuter for around Prescott.

A few months ago I converted the Gary Fisher to a single-speed. It shaved many many pounds off the bike, and now is an absolute pleasure to ride. I also swapped out the seat, tossed on some old Ortlieb panniers, and mounted up a headlight & tail light. It's been great for riding to downtown Prescott & grocery shopping.

attachment.php

Attachments

• L1060808.jpg
    L1060808.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 166
  • L1060810.jpg
    L1060810.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
  • L1060811.jpg
    L1060811.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
  • L1060812.jpg
    L1060812.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5

Louisd75

Adventurer
Here's my Surly Crosscheck.

scan0003.jpg

Got it the first or second year that they sold a complete crosscheck when I was working in a shop in Southern California. I was in an accident during the week before a 'cross race. The handlebar came around and smacked the top tube hard enough to dent it and bow it out. I stayed after work for a couple of nights, cutting out the f'd top tube and then checking the frame alignment. I took the top tube out of a broken stumpjumper and used a couple of half round files to mitre the tube. The stumpjumper top tube is the larger in diameter than the surly top tube, but just barely. I left two nubs that serve as internal lugs and fit the stumpjumper tube over those. Then the owner of the shop I was at brazed it in. I re-did the alignment, put it back together and raced it the next day

I commuted and raced it for quite a while as pictured. I had some clear acrylic spray and I'd sand off the rust and reapply as needed. I finally added braze-ons for a 3rd bottle cage along with rack and fender mounts (this was well before the Long Haul Trucker). Not long after that I hitched a ride with a friend to San Francisco, then spent five days riding back to San Diego with no map other than the state park campgrounds.

scan0004.jpg

I've since powdercoated it "Mango Orange" and worn out or crashed out everything that was originally on it except the shifters, headset, and front derailleur. The only thing I regret not doing at the time the other brazing was being done, is making a pump peg. I've got a zip-tie on the headtube now that works, but I hate it. It's the only thing I'd change about my bike.

DSCN3917.jpg

-Louis

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
This is my proper commuter. It's a genuine Dutch made Gazelle circa 1979. I purchased it from the original owner this year. The purchase included the original sales receipt from the shop in Rotterdam and original manuals. Since it's 40 pounds, has push rod brakes, and a Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, I don't ride it much around very hilly Prescott, but I do love to ride it. It might be the most well preserved bike I've ever owned. It's complete and original down to the kickstand, grips, and even the Gazelle seat post binder. I did put the original Gazelle seat in the closet and replaced it with a Brooks. The original seats are worth hundreds from what I've been told, so I didn't want to risk damaging it.
gaz2.jpg

gaz.jpg

Last edited:

surfgeek33

Adventurer
Just picked up a Novara Buzz road bike and I love it. Now commuting to work 7 miles each way atleast 3x a week.:wings:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Nice. 7-15 miles is a perfect commuting distance. Not too long to sap your energy for the workday and not too short for a workout.

fairweather

Observer
I work at home so no commuting but just rode into town for breakfast on my Pugsley and the latest storm left enough snow for my pedals to leave imprints. Looks like a lizard track.

Been a great snow/errands bike, the weight and fatties are a good combo for just plain getting around and for training, grocery getter racks are in my future.

Trey1940

2007 Trek 3900, everything bike, back and forth to work in the summer (2 miles each way) and school fall/winter/spring (10 miles each way)

Gets its share of abuse on trails as well.

3,220 miles since July 2009.

Kursac

Observer
I commute 17 or 23 miles each way to work depending on if I start from home or the Park & Ride. I do only commute by bicycle from March to November though outside daylight savings

I use a Trek FX 7.2 as my touring and off weather bike. I did 130 miles on this last June. Boston to Provincetown

26058_1312190977326_1607213793_724825_263476_n.jpg

My road bike is a Specialized Elite for those nice days

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior