Ural with sidecar $9999

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
2-Wheel drive is also available on the Sahara
safar_520_400_f34.gif

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The Gear Up is tempting, but I hear they struggle on the super slab.

Tell me more....or wait maybe not :)
I have floated the idea of a Ural with the powered sidecar ever since they first showed up in the USA years ago. Even with the maint issues I have heard of they still seem very cool and worth playing with.

There are times I dream of going back to my cycle days espeically when the rest of my family isn't aval for a trip. Not to mention when I read all the moto stuff on here, in OJ and on AdvRider & Hubb (yeah I shouldn't read cycle sites, like a drunk reading Wine & Spirits magazine :)

For an amputee or high functioning para a moto and sidecar is possible and could be functional, especially if the sidecar was built more for gear than people.

The Ural seems like a good choice for the powered sidecar but if that isn't very functional then it might be better to have a custom sidecar on a BMW or something.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Over the past two months I came extremely close to purchasing a used 2006 Patrol and in doing so I had the chance to learn a lot about them. Needless to say I still want one and plan to purchase one but for me the pricing on the used market has not figured itself out yet so I am patiently waiting, and watching!

Most of the reliability issues are pre 2006. One of the more prevalent issues was that the alternators have a tendency to go bad. Essentially the older the model the more potential issues, nothing terribly bad that makes them unreliable in any way, just maybe some additional maintenance and parts replacement.

One of the great things I gathered about Ural is that they listen and react to consumer feedback. They have made changes each year based on what people are telling them about the bikes. 06 is better than 05 and 07 is better than 06. I don't believe there is much change from 07-08 but 09 is supposed to be full of more good changes. Sorry for the lack of details but specifics can be found on many of the "hack" forums.

Regarding their performance on pavement, the issue is that they have a top speed of 55-75 depending on the model and conditions. The normal is a cruising speed of 55 and top speed f 65. I have heard of some light modifications that can get you up to 75mph though.

As for my earlier comment about the used market pricing, lets take a 2006 Ural Patrol as an example. Insurance and banks value the bike at $4700 in good condition, based on KBB, but everyone seems to be selling them for 6-9K. Over the past year there have been a few sold for 4-5K though.

2006-Ural-Patrola-small.jpg

2006-Ural-Patrolb-small.jpg

2006-Ural-Patrolc-small.jpg

Regards,
Brian

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How reliable are these things? Are they at least as good as something like a KLR650, or are they finicky and it's the novelty that is the attraction?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
How reliable are these things? Are they at least as good as something like a KLR650, or are they finicky and it's the novelty that is the attraction?

A friend of mine has a 2006 or 2007 Gear Up which has chewed through two gearboxes. He said Ural were very good about making it right and the third one seems to be reliable.

I'd happily get a 2wd Ural if I could get my better half to ride in the sidecar. She's really not keen on the idea of traveling two-up on two wheels so it may be a legitimate solution for some rather than just a novelty with the means to take way too much stuff. My ideal solution is for her to learn to ride and after watching the Top Gear Vietnam special she's interested in doing just that. The wonders of television...

Cheers,
Graham

Maddmatt

Explorer
A friend of mine has a 2006 or 2007 Gear Up which has chewed through two gearboxes. He said Ural were very good about making it right and the third one seems to be reliable.

I'd happily get a 2wd Ural if I could get my better half to ride in the sidecar. She's really not keen on the idea of traveling two-up on two wheels so it may be a legitimate solution for some rather than just a novelty with the means to take way too much stuff. My ideal solution is for her to learn to ride and after watching the Top Gear Vietnam special she's interested in doing just that. The wonders of television...

Cheers,
Graham

Are you sure she doesn't just want a really big model of a boat? That was a great episode.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
These must be much better quality than the Chang-Jiang CJ750?

I've got a real soft spot for the Urals and the CJ750 types of machines.

Maybe some day.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader

Cheers,
Graham

I'm thinking of getting an adventure bike in the next couple years. I like the DR650 the best at this point. I also would like a Triumph Scrambler for something with a different flavor. But the Ural could be interesting too. I wonder if it would be possible to go on trips with my little boy, or if that's a bad idea.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've had my eye on a sidecar hack for a while...garage space being the issue. I like the Urals, but lots of folks have had mucho problemos with mechanical reliability.

My take...I love the Sahara and Gear Up versions, but would like to find an older one with a bad motor and stick a BMW airhead into it....I'd think something in the 75/5 range would be muy bueno.

-H-

805gregg

Adventurer
There are a few guy's on ADVrider that have Urals. They usually go to the DVD (Death Valley Days) in Jan. but one guy brings almost another coimplete bike in parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke