Travel vs. Truck - Nathan's Grand ExPoordition

I wonder what type of gear you have. As stated early on many of the places this thread has taken us can be traveled in a two wheel drive car, and many more in a two wheel drive SUV or truck.

Heck if you have a 4x4 of any sort then I say find the roads and get out there. All you need is a little money and a sleeping bag. If you have an SUV you can take out the rear seats and poof perfect sleeping area.

Brian, that's the point. I don't have ANY nonclothing gear. I don't even have my truck yet. Never mind leave Houston except twice or thrice a year (I have not been outside the boundary of Houston/Dallas/Austin/east of Eagle Pass/Corpus for the last 10 years). ALL discretionary income after expenses is going towards emergency short-term debt (including two molar crowns that insurance would not cover, about $2,400), except for about $30-50 a month, which is for supplies. Next month, I'm getting a warm-weather sleeping bag, then the next month I will get a sleeping bag pad to sleep on. Since I don't have my truck here to see what I can do, I'm imagining that I can build a floor platform that drops down on the front floor to extend the bed floor maybe another foot or so.

I have been very, very patient in getting my life going again. It gets frustrating at times, like I found out over a year ago when my radiator went out in Oct., then my water pump in November, then my distributor nodal in December (altogether over $2,000). Since then, I realized that really, being in a city like Houston and a car-loving state like Texas, I have to make transportation #1 over everything else and overprepare.

Getting there... Sometimes, it's all I can do when I'm off from work for several days in a row. Just stay home and not use up my gas money. I find things to do around the apartment, find stuff online to read all day.

Stephanie

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I'm sorry my simple question took this awesome thread so far off topic. My question was answered on the page I posted it please do not ruin this awesome thread with any more talk because of my simple question.

OP I'm sorry this tuned into an off topic thread the last two pages over my question, if I had looked at this sooner I would have posted, again sorry.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Nathan,
I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Thank you.

I have done a 7 week trip including some of the places you went. But many others you visited, I have now added to my ongoing list of must-do's.

See you on or off the road,

steve:victory:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nathan,
I just read the whole thread. Great work! Thanks for taking the time to update everyone and post picts! It was a great inspiration to read this as I am thinking about asking my employer for a month off for a trip like this.

Congrats again, and safe Travels!

Paul

Blueyonder

Citizen of the world
Even this long after your trip (2 years or somethinG?) it's still inspiring ppl :). I too, have thought of doing similar trips (but in Europe where i live, or Morocco) but then started thinking about how much i would need and never went. This has really made me think again and stop giving excuses, i'm giving the necessary repairs to my Tenéré and i'll start asap.

Thanks for sharing, and if the Expoordition really becomes a yearly thing i'll do my best to be able to join next year :)

timaus13

Observer
Truly Inspirational Journey / Expoordition

Words do not seem enough to describe the Journey you have just completed.
Not only have you experienced and expedition on the road and off but you have also discovered things about yourself on the way that have inspired myself and many others on this Fabulous Forum.

I yake my hat off to you Nathan and your Boss for getting you on the road and so well organised with Camera / Spot and Sound advise.

One Life Live It.
Tim

Cheers from Down Under:coffeedrink:

Scott Brady

Founder
odd about the images. Some are there, some are not. Nathan has since gained full-time employment in LA as a pilot. I will see if he can repair the links that are broken.

Nathant78

Observer
his thread made me decide to start looking at a SUV. I tell my friends in the jeep club that i "settled" for a cherokee, looked long and hard for a 3rd gen runner.
the picture of him looking out over the mountains with the hatch open was my inspiration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94