Travel vs. Truck - Nathan's Grand ExPoordition

kcowyo

ExPo Original
$600 for 4 weeks...

Buy a lot of Ramen, stay out of the gas burning mountains as much as possible, find a free spot to camp and homebase there. Use the bike to explore the area. Drink water & eat the food you bring, stay out of the drive-thru's and the beer cooler at convenience stores.

You can stretch $600 for a month on the road, but you're going to have to be incredibly disciplined and pass on some comforts and miles.

My 2 cents... Add it to the pile.

:campfire:

Momrocks

Adventurer
$600 for 4 weeks...

You can stretch $600 for a month on the road, but you're going to have to be incredibly disciplined and pass on some comforts and miles.

My 2 cents... Add it to the pile.

:campfire:

Very well said. For just north of 20 bucks per day, it'll be mighty hard to get many miles under your belt. Should be a good experiment and certainly a memorable time. Have fun, good luck.

edit: with everyone adding their 2 cents you must be up to $601 by now

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Sounds fun. Your destinations look good. One idea: Be sure to stop by the airport in Leadville. Afterwards, if the pass is open, drive over to Aspen. Lots of good hiking off of HWY 82. Continue on to Glenwood Springs for a soak in the giant hot spring/pool. If you want, you could visit 5 cool airports in a day (Leadville, Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Rifle and Grand Junction). Have a great trip!

For the record, I think many of us here did similar trips during our school days/daze. For me it was a 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup, no credit card, no debt (no money either) and a snowboard. Otherwise we were identical.:)

I was gonna say...I mean your employer had to come up with that idea? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what am i missing here?

Just do some research on the areas you are going to, to make sure you don't miss something you'd regret not seeing, then make a budget and a meal ration plan, load up whatever stuff you have for camping and whatever toolkit you can muster and go. Be free. Its not rocket science and doesn't have to be so formal. Don't let all the gear marketing persuade you into thinking you can't leave home without it all. Heck, a person can see a lot of adventure in a mid '80s Honda Accord Hatchback. You'll be fine. Go.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I was gonna say...I mean your employer had to come up with that idea? I don't mean to sound harsh, but what am i missing here?

Oh, Nathan has been traveling like this for a long time, including extensive travel in Alaska, etc.

Basically, I just gave him the time off work and the idea for a silly trip name ;) - unless I am missing what you are missing. . .

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Oh, Nathan has been traveling like this for a long time, including extensive travel in Alaska, etc.

Basically, I just gave him the time off work and the idea for a silly trip name ;) - unless I am missing what you are missing. . .

Oh, so thats what I was missing. Thanks. Well good then. Its always best to make the boss feal like it was his idea, of that there is no doubt.:ylsmoke:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Last year I had one of my employees that worked for me for 5 years decided to go on his first road trip. He was going to explore the west mostly camping in parks, work on his outdoor photography skills and find himself. I gave him a $500 gas card and about 10 hours of my time helping him get all his supplies together and organized and his vehicle ready as a going away gift. He had another $4k set for the adventure.

He was supposed to be gone for 3 months however in 3 weeks he was home. Flat broke and never got any further then Bonnaroo. Apparently he detoured when he learned about the event met some honey who he blew all his money on and missed out on the best adventure of his life.

Fortunetly Nathen does not have enough money to try and impress the ladies so it should not be a factor! :coffeedrink:

Nathan's Grand ExPoordition - Finally Departs Prescott

P7232587.JPG

I'm excited to announce that the ExPoordition is finally on the road! I left Prescott at 0130 AM after several days of scrambled preparation. Preparations included not only packing clothes, food, tools and gear, but several last minute and critical repairs.

Repairs included installing a new parking brake cable and idler arm. These part arrived the day I needed to leave thus delaying my departure time increasing the frantic factor to about 90%.

P7232560.JPG

The parking brake cable went in surprisingly easy however. Routing the cable was pretty simple and painless but the real teaser was figuring out how to get the severed cable end out off the “E-Brake” handle slide. After some unnecessary disassembly, fruitless FSM consultation, and desperate internet searching, I figured out (on my own) that the little “clicker/lock”mechanisms (both of them) needed to be pushed aft to unlock the slide to extend it far enough forward to expose the cable end and allow it to be removed and replace with the new one.

Next was the idler arm. This was easy and most satisfying as I used the biggest impact gun I could find and took to bolt extraction with a vengeance after the irritating brake cable ordeal. Nothing major about the install, just have a ball joint remover tool, a mallet, and its super simple.

I also installed a new back up light switch which is a simple un-thread and thread-in affair. What a novelty to have back up lights again. No more excuses for backing into trees anymore.

As midnight approached I raced frantically to finish the organizing and packing. With the help of my dear friend, Katrina Lopeman who graciously helped till the end, I managed to get all the tools, water cans, recovery gear, spares, clothes, and extra Overland Journal issues loaded and secured.

The first leg of the journey ended in Flagstaff at 0300 AM at my friend Jonathan Hannah's apartment. He graciously stayed up till I arrived and then had coffee, blue berry pancakes, and bacon crackling before I awoke in the morning. What an awesome friend.

Day 1. The Rush to Salt Lake

P7232562.JPG

From FLG I headed North on HWY 89. Some where around the turn off to Page I came upon a fellow named Tyler, and his family in their Series IIa Land Rover. They were headed to Lake Powell for some beach camping before heading back to their home in Utah. He said he found two of these trucks in a field and from the two built the one. It was an inspiration to see them rumbling along at 53mph, loaded up with he baby in the front, dog in the back, and the canvas top flapping like sail headed on course to family adventure.

P7232566.JPG

P7232570.JPG

I doddled ahead, stopping to snap photos along the base if the intensely scenic Vermillion Cliffs. To make my inefficiency worse I soon became faced with my first decision to drive pavement or dirt. I chose dirt. I have always wanted to explore a particular off highway connector that wraps to the North of the Paria Plateau and eventually connects 89A with 89. This was a lovely road, with many tempting trails begging to be explored.

P7232578.JPG

P7232588.JPG

P7232593.JPG

Before long I was back on the black top and making high revolutions North from Kanab still on HWY 89 to connect to HWY 70 and then finally I-15 into the city. I stopped at a swimming hole on the Virgin River I found an a previous trip, but the water was murky and somebody cut down the rope swing.

Day 2. Outdoor Retailer 2009

P7242609.JPG

The rush to SLC was by Scott's encouraging, as he thought it would be good for me to attend the last day of the national Outdoor Retailer show. Here's a few photos of some of the popular vendors in attendance. It was here I had an excellent of conversation with a Choco rep who had several recommendations for summer back back country skiing and wheeling in Colorado.

P7242613.JPG

Following the show a few wheelers and Portal friends have gathered at Paul May's lovely Frank Lloyd Wright inspired home for a pleasant evening of burgers and brew dogs.

Tomorrow we head East into the Wasatch to start our journey off highway to Leadvillle. Should be good!

Don't let all the gear marketing persuade you into thinking you can't leave home without it all. Heck, a person can see a lot of adventure in a mid '80s Honda Accord Hatchback. You'll be fine. Go.

Ya, my point exactly. Thats why my truck is 85 -90% stock. I totally agree you can travel super minimalist and dirt bag and see all kinds of adventure, by hitch hiking, bike packing, or attempting to drive a Pinto through the Colorado high country. That may be the real purity of "Just go, and do". You don't need four wheel drive to see the world.

But the point is to take my daily driver off road and back again with out pushing the "help" button on the Spot. The point is too eventually build a really capable truck, and to go places only a handful of people in the world ever see. But for now, what are the foundational components that will aid in accessing rugged territory in the now, and allow serious "overlanding" down the line.

What marketing is worth listening too? What is just a distraction? I hope to gain some insight to somebody who is really new to the scene, and can afford just a few upgrades or pieces of gear to go as far as they can on.

The real problem with me trying to leave home without the kitchen sink is my cronic pack rat self that brings most of my bedroom along.:Wow1:

I find this discussion to be a somewhat tricky balance.

Thanks for the input.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Ya, my point exactly. Thats why my truck is 85 -90% stock. I totally agree you can travel super minimalist and dirt bag and see all kinds of adventure, by hitch hiking, bike packing, or attempting to drive a Pinto through the Colorado high country. That may be the real purity of "Just go, and do". You don't need four wheel drive to see the world.

But the point is to take my daily driver off road and back again with out pushing the "help" button on the Spot. The point is too eventually build a really capable truck, and to go places only a handful of people in the world ever see. But for now, what are the foundational components that will aid in accessing rugged territory in the now, and allow serious "overlanding" down the line.

What marketing is worth listening too? What is just a distraction? I hope to gain some insight to somebody who is really new to the scene, and can afford just a few upgrades or pieces of gear to go as far as they can on.The real problem with me trying to leave home without the kitchen sink is my cronic pack rat self that brings most of my bedroom along.:Wow1:

I find this discussion to be a somewhat tricky balance.

Thanks for the input.

Nice.
And sorry if i've created any sort of debate.
You're traveling now. Be in the moment, partake, observe, and enjoy. We'll all philosophize about it after you've returned.

El Guapo

Observer
thread engagement

Drive shaft went in pretty easy, but the OEM bolts are a hair too short. I'm gonna run them anyway and keep and eye on them the lock washers should keep them tight. I have some other "issues" with the drive shaft and install I'll share later w/ photos.

I would personally never do that. a busted driveshaft is not an easy repair on the trail.

We use the following rule of thumb in all our joints design at work:

1.5 to 2 times the nominal diameter of a bolt for a miminum thread engagement depth (to the last full thread); so for example if your bolt is an M10 , you want at the very least 15mm of meshing threads between the bolt and the nut or blind hole. i personally would shoot for 20 on a driveshaft!!

- it is not a question of the lock washer keeping them tight; it is a question of having enough clamp load by the bolt and clamp load is direclty proportional to having sufficient thread engagement..

-there, my 0.02 have been added so you now have 601.02!

good luck on your trip and keep the post with "pichers" coming!!:coffee:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Awesome photos! Remember to use that SPOT so I can be jealous of all the cool places you're seeing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94